Does ANU have a wireless network? (1 Viewer)

lanymphet

HSC
Hi there, sorry if this question has already been asked but does ANU have a wireless network on campus? If i study there i'd be bringing my laptop and was wondering would i be able to use it and study proficiently in the uni library and around campus in general? The internet rates at the unilodges etc don't look too great and i'd be relying heavily on skype to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, what time does the library close?

Thanks in advance!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yes, anu does have a wireless network. *most* lecture halls have good wireless access, the only exception is if you get shafted in tutes to some basement lol. but yeah, most places do. There are maps @ wireless anu website. but i cbf looking for them, they're on there.
Most of the wireless access points invlove having a logon (just your normal username and password). only port 80 would be forwarded through the wireless. - so skype won't work in the library. i think you might be able to bypass this technically by plugging the laptop into an ethernet socket, but i haven't done it for skype.

library times - you can check for yourself on the anu library website. chifley closes at 10 most nights, but ranges. Also you can get 24 hr access to certain labs or buildings depending on your course.

If internet is to expensive @ UL, then consider looking at the mobile broardband cards - i think it was either 3 or vodafone that offered the best deals.

lanymphet

HSC
hmmm, perhaps i could get a plan from like tpg or something and use the unilodge phone line? is that possible?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
nope. the system is designed on a pbx electronic phone system with a few dedicated lines out. The system will auto-boot you. If you're applying for UL, you're wealthy enough to pay for overpriced internet credit ;)

lanymphet

HSC
Hahaha, i (don't) like the way you think! I will assimilate into Canberra society as a poor uni student damnit! Hmmmm, is there wifi in like, courtyards/open areas of the uni? I know that have that at my uni, i can access the internet whilst sitting underneath a tree, in an open field or on a bench somewhere :(

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Hahaha, i (don't) like the way you think! I will assimilate into Canberra society as a poor uni student damnit! Hmmmm, is there wifi in like, courtyards/open areas of the uni? I know that have that at my uni, i can access the internet whilst sitting underneath a tree, in an open field or on a bench somewhere :(
As long as you are prepared to walk away from the residential halls and colleges, yes. There are quite a number of outdoor places with wireless coverage, and all libraries will have them as well.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
what a cockbus. why did he decide it was a good idea to remove wireless from halls and colleges?

glad i didn't vote for anyone and glad i was close to telling campaigners to go fuck themselves when they harass me. what good have they done i say. (that is for another topic though)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i'll have t double check with my mate, but i'm pretty sure that the wirless came out of their anusa budget, so they just cut it off because it costs money. :(
Now we have a bruce guy called Tully who has made president, i hope he will reverse that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)