Does anyone do Information Systems? (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Hello folks,

Does anyone out there do Information Systems? If so, does it require alot of maths and do you have to know alot about computers? What is it like, do you find it interesting...and please advise me on what kind of people should take this degree...

Ciao,
Thanks Mani

^___^
HSC
manifestation said:
Hello folks,

Does anyone out there do Information Systems? If so, does it require alot of maths and do you have to know alot about computers? What is it like, do you find it interesting...and please advise me on what kind of people should take this degree...

Ciao,
Thanks Mani
i currently do BIT (although transferring to Sci real soon)
so i can answer everything you need to know about the computing/maths part of the IS degree

maths you don't need to know a lot, i think you only need 3credit points from 100 level maths, that is you only need to do 1 maths unit for your entire degree. You can chose that from either math 130 or math135
math 130 is easier than 135, given that 130 is based on really basic uni maths concept such as matrices. Also, it covers a lot of 3u maths and a fraction of 4u maths topic (complex numbers, thats it)

the computing part, first yr you will be doing comp115, comp125, isys114 and maybe isys123

comp 115 is simply programming in C++. In all honestly, you can study that course in 2weeks time (if you are not as delicated, a months time will do)
then you will do comp 125 and thats slightly harder C++. Harder than 115, but very passable
isys 114 is simply information system. It is a new course branched out from the old comp114(which doesn't exist anymore). There you will do mre "informaiton system" type material and basic SQL functions for database

then in your IS course, you do stuff like accounting and stuff so yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)