Does anyone else have no idea what they're doing for their MW? (1 Viewer)

joscat

HSC
@hope - erk.....can't really say because I'm not the best at critical responses, so I'm not sure xP I wouldn't be worried so much about originality, because I'm sure there's at least one essay already written on every topic in existence, but if it was exactly the same as what you wanted to argue it might be more difficult to think up something original and then you'd be worried about inadvertently copying things from the essay. I think I'm a bit biased towards doing a creative response though *shot*

Ahhh, we're way behind, we've done life in the trenches and we've just finished looking at our third battle (Passchendaele). Where are you guys up to? I'm getting really outraged with some of the British general xDDD

Oh! Cold War, that's interesting! We're doing After the Bomb as our English Ext 1 topic so basically Cold War stuff xD What unit are you doing for Ext 1?

hope14

HSC
@hope - erk.....can't really say because I'm not the best at critical responses, so I'm not sure xP I wouldn't be worried so much about originality, because I'm sure there's at least one essay already written on every topic in existence, but if it was exactly the same as what you wanted to argue it might be more difficult to think up something original and then you'd be worried about inadvertently copying things from the essay. I think I'm a bit biased towards doing a creative response though *shot*

Ahhh, we're way behind, we've done life in the trenches and we've just finished looking at our third battle (Passchendaele). Where are you guys up to? I'm getting really outraged with some of the British general xDDD

Oh! Cold War, that's interesting! We're doing After the Bomb as our English Ext 1 topic so basically Cold War stuff xD What unit are you doing for Ext 1?
I've never really done critical responses other than essays for English... eepp! I am so worried! I guess it isn't exactly because all the texts it used are not the ones I want to use but the general idea of it is quite similar... Hmmm... On that note, do you know of any good YA books that explore exaggerated conformity ??

I thought we were behind :S We've done all the first bit and are now into various aspects of the home front. But we have our first assessment (20%!!) soon so that's scary. I totally agree about the British generals! Especially Haig!! Grrrrrr. My friend and I complain about his stubbornness all the time. And the French Joffre guy was pretty bad too !! At this stage, we are all like "The Germans were way ahead in EVERY regard! How did they not just take advantage of opportunities and win the war?!"

Hahaha!!!! We are doing After the Bomb too!!! What texts are you doing??? What have you guys done so far in EX1?

joscat

HSC
Me neither xD By exaggerated conformity I assume you're talking about the sort of peer pressure/sheep mentality thing? The only one I can think of is Walking Naked by Alyssa Brugman... what other texts did you have so far?

My class always lags way behind xD O_O That's indeed very soon! What's the assessment? We don't have any until the mid-year exam at the end of next term, which is only worth 10% and is on both WWI and Conflict in the Pacific. OH GOSH HAIG I just want to slap him so hard! What sort of idiot wouldn't call off the Somme after realising that the initial bombardment hadn't worked?! *rages* And I know right, how did the Germans not win? xDDD

Oh! What a coincidence xDD We're doing Waiting for Godot, Ariel (Sylvia Plath poetry) and the Spy Who Came In From The Cold, how about you? So far we've just done a lot of research on the Cold War context and today we started Godot. I'm scared for the unseen creative writing question xD

hope14

HSC
Me neither xD By exaggerated conformity I assume you're talking about the sort of peer pressure/sheep mentality thing? The only one I can think of is Walking Naked by Alyssa Brugman... what other texts did you have so far?

My class always lags way behind xD O_O That's indeed very soon! What's the assessment? We don't have any until the mid-year exam at the end of next term, which is only worth 10% and is on both WWI and Conflict in the Pacific. OH GOSH HAIG I just want to slap him so hard! What sort of idiot wouldn't call off the Somme after realising that the initial bombardment hadn't worked?! *rages* And I know right, how did the Germans not win? xDDD

Oh! What a coincidence xDD We're doing Waiting for Godot, Ariel (Sylvia Plath poetry) and the Spy Who Came In From The Cold, how about you? So far we've just done a lot of research on the Cold War context and today we started Godot. I'm scared for the unseen creative writing question xD
Yeah conformity that has consquences... or how conformity can be seen as essential and not necessarily cast in a negative light... Still looking at texts, but considering Kate Brian's "Private"; "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier; and a couple of other books as well as a few films like The Breakfast Club or Mean Girls or something.

I know the assessment is freaking me out! End of next term!!!!! LUCKY! The assessment is like Part 1 of the HSC. Omg, the Somme!!! Tell me about it!! Argh! And after that first day with 60000 Allied causilities he was still like "keep sending the troops over the top". Yeah, THAT was a good idea after the Germans clearly hadn't been wiped out by the bombardment!! Grrr!!!

We're doing Godot, Catch 22 and Hiroshime (non-ficiton text). We've started Hiroshima but mostly context stuff too.
The creative is freaking me out too 'cause this year it was LETTERS for After the Bomb!!! That would be so hard!! And a lot of people said they couldn't adapt any of the ones they had worked on. I would start crying in the middle of the exam haha.
But all HSC questions are unseen.... ? Or were you referring to something else ?

Last edited:

joscat

HSC
Sounds good! It reminds me of something my sister did for belonging earlier this year about how to some extent you need to conform/compromise if you want to achieve a sense of belonging. The short story 'French Joe' might fit with that a bit :)

Good luck with it! IKR it makes me so angry that in all the battles they kept going over even though they knew they would never manage to break through.... so pointless! *shakes fist at generals* although now I can watch Downton Abbey season 2 and tell myself it counts as studying xD

Cool! Have you thought about any related texts yet? You're lucky to be doing Cold War for both English and history :D

Ahaha, I said unseen because for our prelim exam this year we got the creative writing question beforehand and were able to prepare. It was a hard one and if it had been unseen I would have been weeping in despair. ^^; Did you have both questions unseen for your prelim?

hope14

HSC
Sounds good! It reminds me of something my sister did for belonging earlier this year about how to some extent you need to conform/compromise if you want to achieve a sense of belonging. The short story 'French Joe' might fit with that a bit :)

Good luck with it! IKR it makes me so angry that in all the battles they kept going over even though they knew they would never manage to break through.... so pointless! *shakes fist at generals* although now I can watch Downton Abbey season 2 and tell myself it counts as studying xD

Cool! Have you thought about any related texts yet? You're lucky to be doing Cold War for both English and history :D

Ahaha, I said unseen because for our prelim exam this year we got the creative writing question beforehand and were able to prepare. It was a hard one and if it had been unseen I would have been weeping in despair. ^^; Did you have both questions unseen for your prelim?
Thanks! I'll look into it. I'm a bit worried about the belonging overlap too, to tell you the truth :S

Whats IKR? **sheepishly hopes it isn't something that we should have already learnt about**

Will prob do a speech and a novel, maybe a Melina Marchetta one. You? Yeah I guess I'm lucky but we are doing Cold War last in Modern so it doesn't really help at the moment.

Funnily enough, we did the creative prelim question too. Because we hadn't done enough revision on it. And yeah a similar kind of thing to you. I would have cried if we hadn't received it early. We didn't get the essay though. Ext 1 is currently the subject whose exam i am most worried about.

joscat

HSC
I don't think you should be worried about the belonging thing; after all it's meant to link to the course somehow :) :)

xDD ahh, 'IKR' just means 'I know right', it's an expression. *shot for using internet slang all the time* ^^;

Cool! Which Marchetta novel? :) I was planning to do Orwell's Nineteen-Eightyfour, but I haven't started reading it yet xP Ahaha oh well, but the time it comes round to it you'll be a Cold War expert! xD

Oh! Cool xD Yeah... I hate thinking up stories under a time limit *dies* Really? I think I'm okay with Ext1 but I'll probably panic at exam time; right now I'm just freaking out over Ext1 maths because I have fallen behind in my study for it xP

hope14

HSC
Yeah, I guess it does have to...

Oh... *awkwardly flushes at complete lack of knowledge regarding 'teen' vernacular* Sorry - assumed it was some military group... :S

And on related texts I was talking about belonging ones... haha. For After the Bomb I have none!!!! Suggestions? Is that what your are doing 1984 on? We studied it last year for satire...

I sure hope i will be Cold war expert :D

I didn't pick Ext 1 Math for a reason haha!! My teacher hated that I didn't but in math vs. english - english will always win. I just don't feel like I am intelligent enough for EX1.

starshine02

HSC
Yeah, I guess it does have to...

Oh... *awkwardly flushes at complete lack of knowledge regarding 'teen' vernacular* Sorry - assumed it was some military group... :S

And on related texts I was talking about belonging ones... haha. For After the Bomb I have none!!!! Suggestions? Is that what your are doing 1984 on? We studied it last year for satire...

I sure hope i will be Cold war expert :D

I didn't pick Ext 1 Math for a reason haha!! My teacher hated that I didn't but in math vs. english - english will always win. I just don't feel like I am intelligent enough for EX1.

Hey I'm also doing After the Bomb! I'm thinking of using Grave of the Fireflies for my related but apparently it's overdone or something :(

Oh and for ext 2, my teacher gave us a book of little stimuluses and whilst I was flicking through I just suddenly had an idea of what I would do haha. Then I went to research it a bit and made a plan etc. Still haven't really started on it though.

You can try those websites that randomly generate pictures to help you think of an aspect or an idea you can use. But yeah. That's just my two cents. Just for anyone who's still trying to think up an idea :)

joscat

HSC
@hope- Ahaha, no problem ^^ *will stop using obscure slang* it does actually sound like a military group, now that I think about it xD Oh! Right. And yeah, I meant 1984 for After the Bomb... I'm not really sure what other ones there are to do. Is Catch 22 a cold war text? *has no idea* For my belonging RTs I'm probably going to use one of the modernism texts we did in prelim; probably The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock or Mansfield's "Bliss".

xDD Ex1 is mostly a lot of homework and practice questions; it takes up a lot of time *headdesk* I prefer English too ^^

@starshine- hi there fellow After-the-Bomber *brofists* I've never heard of Grave of the Fireflies ^^;

What was your idea? Creative or critical? :)

hope14

HSC
No... you don't have to stop. I am sure I know some :S Maybe i could do 1984 for After the Bomb too 'cause I've already studied it. Hmmm... Catch 22 is actually one of the five main ones for after the bomb. It is one that we are doing. I can't believe you all seem so sure about it. Our teacher only like mentioned it on the very first lesson so we haven't even though about it. Listening to you talk about what you do in Ex1 freaks me out a bit because we have never done any practice questions and really don't get much homework even though we like to say that we do. So, yeah, basically we will all fail the HSC.

Also, I have to do a 5-10min pitch of my Ex2 idea on Thurs to various teachers and ex students... help!!!!!!!!!!!!

starshine02

HSC
@starshine- hi there fellow After-the-Bomber *brofists* I've never heard of Grave of the Fireflies ^^;

What was your idea? Creative or critical? :)
Grave of the Fireflies is this Japanese movie which reflects the destruction of lives during/after the bombing :) It's really cute but sad at the same time and it's from a Japanese perspective.

I'm doing a creative piece that's most likely going to be centered around the urban environment...Kinda like one same location but you see different people go through it kinda...I dunno still working on it but the teacher gave me a few research tasks I should do and other themes I should incorporate.

@hope14 - My class hasn't really done practice stuff on ATB but we have like looked at past questions to start to get a feel of the topic. We've also started analysing Hiroshima but yeah. We haven't really talked about related texts as well.

I'm sure you'll do great in your pitch :) I have to keep handing in drafting ideas of my idea every week so the teacher can see improvements etc sigh.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, it's completely normal at the start of Year 12. I had no idea for quite some time.

For your first assessment act like you exactly know what you're going to do etc. even if (and it inevitably) will change later.

Please try and do something you love-otherwise come July/Aug you will have editing nightmares.

Jayden22

HSC
I think, our teacher said it had to be something we'd done in class so she listed off topics like Romanticism and stuff, then I got to 1984 which is under journeys?

Anyways I spun that into getting to write a dystopian short story, so I'm going alright, keeping up with the journal is a pain in the ass though.

joscat

HSC
@hope- That'd give you an advantage, which is always good :) Saves you reading a new novel from scratch too! xDD I meant Ext1 maths, sorry for not being clear about it *shot* In Ext1 English so far we've only really been researching absurdism and reading Waiting for Godot.

D888 Ahhh! Late response from me is super late. Was it today or next Thursday? How did it go?

@starshine- It sounds really interesting! *will have to have a look at it* And your creative idea sounds epic... would it be from the perspective of the environment or many different perspectives of the people?

@Jayden- If you mean the Major Work, it has to be able to link to the prelim or HSC course for advanced or ext1, but I don't think it has to be something specifically you did in class. What's the idea behind your dystopian story? :)

And yeah, my journal is failing kind of epically xP

starshine02

HSC
@hope- That'd give you an advantage, which is always good :) Saves you reading a new novel from scratch too! xDD I meant Ext1 maths, sorry for not being clear about it *shot* In Ext1 English so far we've only really been researching absurdism and reading Waiting for Godot.

D888 Ahhh! Late response from me is super late. Was it today or next Thursday? How did it go?

@starshine- It sounds really interesting! *will have to have a look at it* And your creative idea sounds epic... would it be from the perspective of the environment or many different perspectives of the people?

@Jayden- If you mean the Major Work, it has to be able to link to the prelim or HSC course for advanced or ext1, but I don't think it has to be something specifically you did in class. What's the idea behind your dystopian story? :)

And yeah, my journal is failing kind of epically xP
I wanted perspectives of both but then the teacher told me that doing it from perspectives of both would be kind of hard. I might just have a majority of it as perspectives of people.

My journal is so terrible at the moment sigh. I always remind myself to keep adding to it but then eventually I forget and so it seems like I haven't done a lot...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone's doing a dystopian, beware, at my EE2 open mike night nearly every story was dystopian...yr 12 students seem to shoulder more angst than the average person.

Yours must stand out in a bunch.

joscat

HSC
Have you guys had to hand in proposals yet? Mine's due on Monday. Although it doesn't go towards anything, so I wasn't sure if it was something everyone had to do or just my school.

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you guys had to hand in proposals yet? Mine's due on Monday. Although it doesn't go towards anything, so I wasn't sure if it was something everyone had to do or just my school.
Yeah, we had to too. Next term we have to do like a proper one though. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)