Does anyone else suffer from long term procrastination? (1 Viewer)

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
So you wanna become a teacher after the degree? You seem overqualified for the job
No, I'm not a schoolteacher nor do I ever intend to be, I'm a TAFE and university teacher by training. Professional educators tend to take MEd/GDEd as professional development after substantial years teaching, as it is expected that you will have either advanced degrees in education or PHD if you are to be taken seriously as a private educator. As is the case with many educators, including some of Australia's most successful textbook authors, I prefer the private sector as you have more control over the quality and the students.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Cus I'm becoming a teacher myself, i didn't know there was other pathways like private education. So do you mean tutoring when you refer to private education?
There are actually quite a lot of teachers (primary school teachers, secondary school teachers, vocational teachers, and university teachers) who do the majority of their teaching work in the private sector (this is usually tutoring, but some people run private colleges, specializing in their discipline/s). Usually this is done alongside some casual teaching work - on a few occasions I've been temporarily hired to teach university math by the professors at my local university - where I have essentially run some of the tutorials.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
can you really do individual tutoring full-time? or would you have to go the tutoring business route where you hire other tutors
Depends how good you are. I've been a very successful tutor in econ/math/phys, I spent my first 8 years working for other firms and as a casual uni tutor and I now run a solo tutoring firm full time (past 4 years) and it earns me a modest living, I love the work and I'm not constantly being bothered by NESA, ASQA, school administrators, or university administrators. I know some solo tutors (typically age 40+, very experienced, numerous graduate degrees, mostly former lecturers) who earn 6 figure incomes from solo tutoring, it can be a very good profession if you're really good at it.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Surely it can't just be in person local students right? To tutor that much would require online students or groups of students. Since students are only available after school
Absolutely it can be local in person lessons. I know one older math teacher who runs about 4 lessons a day, he charges around $150/lessons, teachers mon-fri, teaches 4 x ten week terms, and is essentially constantly booked out. 4 * $150 * 5 * 10 * 4 = $120000/year. He does all his lessons in a small local studio.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea but aren't you trying to follow in the same career?
Yeah, it seems to be: have undergrad + graduate degrees in the field, have some teacher training + education professional development, have spent 25+ years working extensively as an educator at all levels. That's what it seems, but maybe he would think differently. Anyway, we should stop this because this post was originally about procrastination.

neptoons

HSC
I get this too, I start out strong at the start of term and then wither away by week7/8 (now)
One thing i find helps is going to the library with friends smarter than me (who work harder than me too) - it motivates me to work and not slack off while they're there so they don't judge me .. :D

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I get this too, I start out strong at the start of term and then wither away by week7/8 (now)
One thing i find helps is going to the library with friends smarter than me (who work harder than me too) - it motivates me to work and not slack off while they're there so they don't judge me .. :D
most my friends are hopeless
and i don't mean this in a rude way but they are doing trash in their subjects despite going to tutoring and they don't seem to care about it work work towards fixing it at all. It annoys tf outta me to see people with absolute zero motivation to do anything in life, and clearly they are not satisfied with how they perform yet don't do anything about it bc laziness.
I wish i went to a better school sometimes :/
However I am considering going to the library alone to study after school anyways bc i'm more productive outside of home and alone anyways

hscgirl

HSC
most my friends are hopeless
and i don't mean this in a rude way but they are doing trash in their subjects despite going to tutoring and they don't seem to care about it work work towards fixing it at all. It annoys tf outta me to see people with absolute zero motivation to do anything in life, and clearly they are not satisfied with how they perform yet don't do anything about it bc laziness.
I wish i went to a better school sometimes :/
However I am considering going to the library alone to study after school anyways bc i'm more productive outside of home and alone anyways
what rank is ur school approximately? just curious

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)