Does anyone else suffer this? (1 Viewer)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
I love Society & Culture, but all the time I and others who do it receive comments like "that's not even a course" and "bludge, so easy" (of course, said by people who don't do S&C).
It really irritates me because they are assuming that because I don't study Physics, Maths ext 2 or anything stereotypically intelligent, I am therefore stupid.
Blast! Does anyone else suffer this prejudice? (haha)

xJennax

HSC
It's annoying because it actually does require intelligence, it's not a 'bludge'. It also requires A LOT of work.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lol.

IMO, subjective subjects =/= determine intelligence.

ie. English

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Does anyone else suffer this?

Messier111 said:
Actually I get this a lot from my best friend and I really hate it. He does all the stereotypical "nerdy" science subjects, and he assumes that humanities students are somehow less intelligent than he is.

But it is a known fact that we have to do far more work than they do, and need to remember large slabs of information. I'm not saying they don't have to work hard too... it just annoys me.

In maths and science half the time you only have to remember a formula to figure out the answer to a question, and often you are either right or wrong. But with h.s.i.e. subjects it's not that simple.

It's true a lot of students choose Society & Culture as a "bludge" subject... but they aren't the ones getting Band 6's... so they don't represent the intelligence of every single person in the course
So you're complaining about your friend stereotyping whilst you are stereotyping yourself?

Nice.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Messier111 said:
In maths and science half the time you only have to remember a formula to figure out the answer to a question, and often you are either right or wrong. But with h.s.i.e. subjects it's not that simple.
Either you've never done maths above 2-unit general level, or you fail maths a lot.

ZaraKu

HSC
It doesn't help that board of studies seems to think along the same lines as these so called stereotypical "science/maths geeks", just look at how each subject is scaled for proof.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ZaraKu said:
It doesn't help that board of studies seems to think along the same lines as these so called stereotypical "science/maths geeks", just look at how each subject is scaled for proof.
Society & Culture
Number of units: 2
Average scaling (2007):23.9/50

scales similarly to pdhpe and business, a little higher than general math, better than it, d&t, english standard and cafs.

its sort of in the middle, which means you need to break 80's as a general guide to limit the impact of scaling.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Messier111 said:
But it is a known fact that we have to do far more work than they do, and need to remember large slabs of information. I'm not saying they don't have to work hard too... it just annoys me.

I have a few friends that do Physics, Chemistry, Ext 2 Maths - all the stereotypically "smart" subjects - and they do have to remember a lot of information, not just a formula. There's so much to know in every subject. But I do agree with you that in those subjects, "often you are right or wrong" and "with HSIE subjects it's not that simple". There are a myriad of ways to write a good essay. It's also very intensive because you're constantly constructing essays and extended responses, and you do need to remember many abstract concepts, rather than concrete ideas.

Messier111 said:
It's true a lot of students choose Society & Culture as a "bludge" subject... but they aren't the ones getting Band 6's... so they don't represent the intelligence of every single person in the course
Exactly. Hate that people apply that to me, thinking that S&C must be SO easy because I got 99. But I worked really hard to achieve that. Yet if I got that in Physics, people would assume I'm some kind of crazy genius. Eff double standards!

cheap

HSC
My career's advisor actually warned us that S&C was "really difficult."
I'm choosing it anyway, but would she be referring to the workload moreso than the degree of difficulty? I suppose hsie subjects are difficult in a different way, but I still wondered why she had to stress how difficult it was.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
cheap said:
My career's advisor actually warned us that S&C was "really difficult."
I'm choosing it anyway, but would she be referring to the workload moreso than the degree of difficulty? I suppose hsie subjects are difficult in a different way, but I still wondered why she had to stress how difficult it was.
If you're not willing to get your head around some sociological concepts and really remember them, it can be quite difficult to display depth in your responses.

You have to be open to other interpretations and articulate your own. Theres a fair amount of content but if you work hard, its truly rewarding. It's not difficult, its challenging.

kirschxD

HSC
It's true, a lot of the people who don't do society and culture automatically make assumptions about the subject being easy or what not. Although, that's really the situation with every subject. 2U Math isn't just formulas, it's a whole lot more.

My society teacher told the class to be in S&C it's recommended to be in advanced english too. You can be in standard, but you have to really work
hard in society. Bludging is out of the question. It's not like chemistry, bio, or physics have bludgers in there too.

To be honest who cares what other people think. I like the subject period. I find it one of my easiest subjects only because I get the concepts and I like how the whole subject goes in depth into topics you wouldn't usually think about. Anyone can come into society and culture and think it's easy, but if you threw the concepts of society and culture at them their in a lot of trouble.

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
fallenstar said:
I love Society & Culture, but all the time I and others who do it receive comments like "that's not even a course" and "bludge, so easy" (of course, said by people who don't do S&C).
It really irritates me because they are assuming that because I don't study Physics, Maths ext 2 or anything stereotypically intelligent, I am therefore stupid.
Blast! Does anyone else suffer this prejudice? (haha)
AH!! NERDY MC NERD'ALOT!!!

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Epistemophobia said:
AH!! NERDY MC NERD'ALOT!!!
You have just conformed to social categorisation, commonly known as 'stereotyping'. Predictably, you assume I'm a nerd purely because I express a passion for a subject. Perhaps if you actually did Society and Culture you may have a better chance of understanding my post and my enjoyment of the course...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
fallenstar said:
You have just conformed to social categorisation, commonly known as 'stereotyping'. Predictably, you assume I'm a nerd purely because I express a passion for a subject. Perhaps if you actually did Society and Culture you may have a better chance of understanding my post and my enjoyment of the course...
lol, what society and culture will do to you're thought patterns....

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
fallenstar said:
Laughs. My friend Lucy was on my account. For that I apologise, she's a funny one.

Fistly 'You have just conformed to social categorisation, commonly known as 'stereotyping'', is completely hilarious, so thanks for sharing that with me. 'Predictably' suggests that you might get people calling you a 'nerd', because you 'express passion' for a subject, often? Yeh well obviously that can't be great, but you appear so arrogant, that I don't know how it's suppose to make you look any better as a person- and it doesn't. I have passion for my subjects too hey. Hope you do well.

Last edited:

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Epistemophobia said:
Laughs. My friend Lucy was on my account. For that I apologise, she's a funny one.

Fistly 'You have just conformed to social categorisation, commonly known as 'stereotyping'', is completely hilarious, so thanks for sharing that with me. 'Predictably' suggests that you might get people calling you a 'nerd', because you 'express passion' for a subject, often? Yeh well obviously that can't be great, but you appear so arrogant, that I don't know how it's suppose to make you look any better as a person- and it doesn't. I have passion for my subjects too hey. Hope you do well.
1. I'm glad you found my comments about stereotyping funny, because they were actually jokes and not intended to come across as arrogant; for that i apologise. However, if you would like further laughs I suggest you access the wealth of literature on stereotyping at your nearest university library, you will laugh until your stomach hurts if you found my simple comment that 'completely hilarious'.

2. Having passion for subjects makes anyone look better as a person. Not only look better but genuinely enhancing character. Obviously someone who enjoys their areas of study is more engaging to talk to and have in class than an apathetic or uninterested person.

3. I don't get called a 'nerd' often, in fact, the majority of people at my school put a lot of effort into their studies and therefore one cannot single out any one 'nerd'. The word 'predictably' was used in the context of general sociocultural abhorrence of people who display in interest in academic pursuits.

4. This petty discussion is a waste of both our time. I hope you do well in your HSC too. [Not sarcastic, although I am assuming you were.]

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
No, i wasn't being sarcastic, i don't really see the point of ill-wishing people.

Thanks for the bullet points, that made it oh so easy to understand.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Epistemophobia said:
No, i wasn't being sarcastic, i don't really see the point of ill-wishing people.

Thanks for the bullet points, that made it oh so easy to understand.
must you continue to be rude?
really...what's the point?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)