Does anyone else think I am crazy?? (1 Viewer)

Jazzerina

HSC
Hey

I have been thinking about subjects for next year (obviously) and I have come up with what I want to do:

-Advanced English
-Dance
-PD/H/PE
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Biology
-General Maths

I love science but all my friends, some teachers and even my parents think I am crazy. I know its fourteen units but I really want to do those subjects. Does anyone lese think I am crazy? What do you think about my choices?

Last edited:

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Well if you really really love science then hopefully you won't find it as stressful. Obviously you can't do every subject that you like and it looks like you have too many subjects here but if you really think that you can handle it, then go for it. You could always drop some later. I know quite a few people that have done 14 units and achieved pretty high UAIs. So yea, it all depends on the individual...like if you can manage your time well and you're motivated.

Anyways Good luck :D

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
14 units is doable if you want to do them. Though, taking only General maths (is that the new name for the old 2 Unit course or the old 2 Unit Maths In Society course?). If it is the new name for the 2U MIS then it may be tricky with Physics and Chemistry. I know the new science syllabi are more word based and less mathematical. I would seek guidance on that one, perhaps. But it may work for you, especially with the emphasis away from maths in the sciences.

Good luck. You have a nice mix of subjects there.

karnoganguli

HSC
Don't know about dance (its usefulness) but if you want to do it then do it. If you can cope and hold your time management then your set. 14 units is difficult but not impossible.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
14 units is perfectly fine, assuming you are a hard worker and committed to your subjects and if it all gets to much you can drop one subject. Remember though your 10 best units, including 2 units of English count towards your UAI. :)

Also I notice none of those courses are extension or courses that usually run offline, so you may not even be able to do all those courses due to the subject lines and timings...

Jazzerina

HSC
Thanks..I am definitley doing dance as it is the best subject ever...still tossing up physics though...but i am pretty sure i will do all of those

relizabo

HSC
If you are a super organised and fast worker then maybe 14 will be ok to start with, particularly as in your case it is only seven subjects, which is the same as heaps of people who do five two unit subjects and two extension subjects which are just as much work as two unit subjects. So yeah start with 14 and see how you go but it is worth considering if you really would enjoy every science, after the general nature of the year 10 course, particularly physics given that is it involves quite a lot of harder maths and you are only going to be doing general.
If you are going to drop a subject and your ability across the subjects is pretty similar drop either general maths or PDHPE (you'll need dance for some variety) - also maybe consider doing 2 unit mathmatics cause its not that hard but would help with physics.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Physics- you need a good logical/math brain
Biology-you need a good memory
Chemistry-I dono lol

But you can always drop 2U if you find 14 is too much for you.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that phase.
Even your emotions had an echo
In so much space

And when you're out there
Without care,
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy
Does that make me crazy
Does that make me crazy
Probably

And I hope that you are having the time of your life
But think twice, that's my only advice
Come on now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are,
Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control

Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
Just like me

My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinking, I want to be like them
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little it looked like fun
And it's no coincidence I've come
And I can die when I'm done

Maybe I'm crazy
Maybe you're crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I wanted to do 14units but my new selective school has a rule with max units being 12.

You most certainly wont get all of your subjects, dont keep your hopes up, it really depends on your subject lines because none of your subjects are studied offline if u go to a comprehensive high school. Also, i recommend so do many teachers, that you do 3 unit maths!!! or advanced maths atleast for physics(which is just a lot of disguised maths) unless your really good at logical applications and can easily form and manipulate formulas, u have to lean simple harmonic motion which is 3unit-ext 1 so i strongly recommend that u do ext and adv maths to grasp the many mathematical formulas and applications in physics, if you dont you you'll prob find yr 12 physics extremely hard.

Sorry but this is the harsh reality of yr 11 and 12 you dont always get want you want.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Also, i recommend so do many teachers, that you do 3 unit maths!!! or advanced maths atleast for physics(which is just a lot of disguised maths) unless your really good at logical applications and can easily form and manipulate formulas, u have to lean simple harmonic motion which is 3unit-ext 1 so i strongly recommend that u do ext and adv maths to grasp the many mathematical formulas and applications in physics, if you dont you you'll prob find yr 12 physics extremely hard.
The SHM in physics is an extraordinarily simplified version of that found in the mathematics course, people who do General should be fine. Infact the girl who topped my class in physics did General Maths, beating many people who did Ext Maths in the process.

The Physics course is also more about theory and concepts rather than 'disguised maths', I personally found the mathematics in Physics to be of a level with year 9/10 maths. So I would reccomend against someone picking Ext Maths to enhance their capabilities in Physics since if they can't cope with the math in Physics, they certainly could not cope with that of Ext Maths.

I do however agree with the above poster that you won't get everything you want - people who do have such a large amount of units generally do Extensions, Distinctions or Languages via correspondence simply because one school cannot fit that many subjects without a clash. The study load itself is also quite manageable considering you can just drop something as soon as it proves too difficult/boring.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I'm just wondering why general maths? If ur doing phsyics n chemistry.. mathematics will overlap with those subjects..

chiselwick

HSC
N/A
I personally think 14 units is a lot, but if you have the dedication... Go ahead!!!

I'd suggest talking to teachers and year advisors about it. I'm doing :

3u Maths
4u English
Physics
Chemistry

It also depends on how effectively you manage time and how organised you can be. Really think about how much work you'll be able to handle and how productive you can be. Goodluck!

kathrynso

HSC
hey Jazzerina,
You are going through what I ent through last year. I wanted soooooooooooooo much to do all 3 sciences but unfortunately they put biology and physics on the same line, and IPT and dance on the same line. That was silly.
I'm currently doing 14U but one is not counted in HSC because it is school endorsed: The subjects I amdoing are in my siggy.

Like the others who have posted before me, if you are really keen on your subjects then do them. At least you have a few weeks to change subjects if you don't like them anymore.

Also, if you need any help with dance next, don't hesitate to ask me. I also love dance, I'm glad I choose dance over IPT... what was I thinking back then?

Peteage

HSC
u might find you'll need to put alot of focus on physics exp if your doing gen maths. I'd suggest droping that and doing 12. No point doing extra subject that wont go towards your uai

Coolslicer

HSC
N/A
What YOU really have to do is look at what YOU really want to do outside of school. Perhaps u wanted to do Pharmacy, you may be best off dropping Physics. Just keep in mind that most scientific University courses have Extension Maths (3U) as assumed knowledge.
So in the end look at what you feel you want to do, and choose appropriate subjects.
It is however still a very good idea to have that 'relax' subject to wind down. Mine is VA, and yours appears to most likely be dance. Some peoples are languages etc. Just remember, look beyond your desires for now towards your future *very difficult* and make your decisions based on that! Good Luck! ^.^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)