Does anyone have a decent scaffold, structure or plan for writing each text type for Module C? (1 Viewer)

RaymondB

HSC
The questions says it all. I need a scaffold, structure or plan for each text type (Discursive, Informative, Persuasive and Creative especially) as I find it hard to write these texts. I only have a scaffold for discursive which I think is good:

P1: Introduce the idea that will be talked about

P2: Introduces the divergence of opinions/views - one for and one against

P3 takes the argument for, while P4 takes the bizarre or different argument against

P5: Is my own personal opinion, with an anecdote

Please post some scaffolds, structures or plans, they do not need to be super in-depth or anything, just a brief direction to follow. Thank you so much.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't have scaffolds that I can share sadly. However, I thought I'd share tips for each type of text, which will hopefully allow you to develop your own, high-quality scaffolds.

Discursive writing:

Here are some tips regarding discursive writing:
  • Ensure you distinguish it from a persuasive piece. In a discursive piece, you may discuss/explore an idea. You should not favour any particular side (where applicable) as the intention is not to persuade anyone of anything.
  • Attempt to categorise discursive pieces if possible. Examples of categories include
    • Debate/discussion, where you would explore both sides of the debate and presents arguments by each respective side, without showing considerable bias towards a particular perspective. Effectively incorporating linguistic devices is also an important thing to consider.
    • The "exploring" discursive, where using an extended metaphor and emphasising a personal voice are essential elements for a good response.
Informative writing:

The most important consideration with respect to informative writing is that the purpose is to inform, meaning you must not take sides. Instead, you should inform the marker about a topic depending on what is suggested by the stimulus.

Some tips regarding informative writing include:
  • Using statistics
  • Emphasising an objective voice
  • Having a clear structure/format (subheadings may be a good way of contributing to a good quality overall structure)
Persuasive writing:

Here are some tips regarding persuasive writing:
  • Have a clear structure for your persuasive response. This involves
    • Introducing your position. An important thing to consider is that your position should be known as soon as possible within your response.
    • Presenting your points as well as evidence to support your points.
    • Reiterate your position as you finalise your response.
Creative (imaginative) writing:

The fact that markers have been exposed to creative responses to a high extent has meant that their standards/expectations have also increased. Here are some tips for creative writing:
  • Emphasis on the idea and purpose of your piece (which is important. Your idea can be supported by including appropriate literary techniques. Having a thorough understanding of your purpose is important as it assists in determining the audience that your response targets in addition to enhancing your writing style and clarifying your perspective (if applicable).
I'll also include a procedure that may be helpful with regard to writing a creative piece:
  1. Brainstorm universal ideas that relate to the stimulus. Pick one.
  2. Decide what you want to say about your universal idea. Find a fresh perspective, or challenge an existing one.
  3. Craft your narrative around this, do NOT shoehorn commentary on it. Show, don’t tell. Don’t tell the marker in your imaginative that this is what you’re trying to say, they should be able to glean this from your narrative, which should naturally explore these ideas.
I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)