Does anyone have a good diagram of a vanadium redox cell? (1 Viewer)

Timb0

HSC
Does anyone have a good diagram of a vanadium redox cell?
Would be greatly appreciated. None of the ones on google are really doing it for me.
Also, does this sound like a suitable explanation for the cell chemistry in a vanadium redox cell? Is it understandable?:p

The electrolyte is a solution of vanadium mixed with a dilute sulphuric acid, with about the same acidity as in a conventional lead-acid battery. Unlike lead acid systems however a vanadium redox batteries electrolyte has an indefinite life span and is reusable.
The electrolyte is pumped from separate storage tanks into flow cells, which are self-contained sealed devices that consist of many cells, each of which contains two half-cells that are separated by a proton exchange membrane similar to that of a fuel cell. In the half-cells, the electrochemical reactions take place on inert carbon felt, polymer composite electrodes. The electrolyte at the cathode is electrochemically oxidized and where it is electrochemically reduced at the anode.
The half equations for these reactions are:
At the anode: V²⁺(aq) → V³⁺ + eˉ
At the cathode: V⁵⁺ (aq) + eˉ → V⁴⁺(aq)
And the overall reaction equation is: V⁵⁺ (aq) + V²⁺(aq) → V⁴⁺(aq) + V³⁺ (aq)

That is all.
Cheers Tim

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
That sounds reasonable to me. :) To be honest though, I honestly don't think you need to that kind of detail for the HSC. The people who designed the syllabus are non-chemists so naturally the marking guide won't award any marks for scientific discussion.

Okay. :p Seriously though, read the dot points and you will realise that all they want to know is how fantastic is the vanadium redox sell is in terms of being "green". Of course you also have to remember the half equations and roughly how it works. :)

You may already know about this - the cell was originally developed at UNSW and CEIC actually has a website dedeicated to it. Apologies in advance if you already knows about this. :)

Hope that helps! :) (Even though that was mostly me complaining about how crap the HSC syllabus is)

Timb0

HSC
Haha yeah, I know i don't need that much detail for the sylabus dot point. And yes, I've seen the UNSW site on it too :p

We're doing an in class assessment on batteries and comparing different types (in detail). So I'm doing lead-acid and vanadium redox cells. Thanks for the help anyway. :)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
We're doing an in class assessment on batteries and comparing different types (in detail). So I'm doing lead-acid and vanadium redox cells. Thanks for the help anyway. :)
I did that, too! Thinking that one is very green and the other isn't. I remember getting all of the information I needed from the UNSW website when I did it. Anyhow, good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)