Does anyone have a PlayStation Three? (1 Viewer)

watkinzez

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
The cases for ps3 look cheap an crappy.

I know it should be about the game, but... they really could have done a better job on the case design...
Actually, that's one of the things that stood out to me as being really cool. They're smaller (so I can fit more on my shelf) and curvier (so less chance of poking an eye out).

HSC
BLUE RAY MAN!

nah within few years, it's gonna come down (prices) and it would eventually become like PS2, smaller :)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
BLUE RAY MAN!

nah within few years, it's gonna come down (prices) and it would eventually become like PS2, smaller :)
yup.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
The fellas at Rockstar are reportedly having a bit of trouble porting GTA IV over to the 360 because of the space limitations on the disk - one of the reasons that the PS3 has an advantage over the other consoles is the amount of stuff that can be packed into each disk.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
runtlocks said:
The fellas at Rockstar are reportedly having a bit of trouble porting GTA IV over to the 360 because of the space limitations on the disk - one of the reasons that the PS3 has an advantage over the other consoles is the amount of stuff that can be packed into each disk.
hahahhahahahahah whaaaat? where on earth did you hear that from :p Even oblivion takes up 6.5GB and that world has waaay more dialogue, a larger environment, etc etc.

The things that take up the most space is sound and CGI, apparently. GTA doesn't have that much sound, in terms of recorded dialogue and it doesn't have any CGI

Perhaps the best comparisson in terms of disc space is Saints Row which came to 5.88GB. A DVD-9 is about 9GB :)

EDIT: furthermore, compression that is possible on the 360 is really fantastic (e.g. one XBL arcade game which was 400 MB or so uncompressed, but 50MB compressed). You can also look at Oblivion which is 14GB uncompressed on the PS3 and 6.5GB compressed on the 360.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
hahahhahahahahah whaaaat? where on earth did you hear that from :p Even oblivion takes up 6.5GB and that world has waaay more dialogue, a larger environment, etc etc.

The things that take up the most space is sound and CGI, apparently. GTA doesn't have that much sound, in terms of recorded dialogue and it doesn't have any CGI

Perhaps the best comparisson in terms of disc space is Saints Row which came to 5.88GB. A DVD-9 is about 9GB :)

EDIT: furthermore, compression that is possible on the 360 is really fantastic (e.g. one XBL arcade game which was 400 MB or so uncompressed, but 50MB compressed). You can also look at Oblivion which is 14GB uncompressed on the PS3 and 6.5GB compressed on the 360.
Still, theres a lot more room in Blu Ray disks.

I read this article somewhere on IGN or Eurogamer or something like that.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wait are you sure this wasn't the article where they said that they are having trouble releasing it on the xbox 360 because of the lack of hard disk, rather than disc size?

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
.Pretty positive it was disk size

EDIT: Kojima was whinging about the same thing, hence one of the reasons MGS4 isn't comming out on the 360. Knowing the amount of FMV he likes to pack in...:rolleyes::lol:

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
From IGN:
An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames, Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress. In contrast, all PS3s have a built-in hard drive and the console's Blu-Ray format can hold about five times as much content as DVD.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA oh my how IGN took it out of context. I read the original interview. It was conducted by one of the official PS3 magazines and the question was (note the bias)

OPM - On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?

Rockstar answered in the most unbiased way possible along the lines of:
"Yes, those are challenges we've faced, but both consoles have a lot of problems that we've encountered and we're still working around them"

Then IGN jumps on it and posts saying that Rockstar are having difficulties creating GTAIV for the 360 and none for the ps3

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I think its main problem is that the developers of games still haven't figured out how to optimise the games for it, considering it came out 6 months ago in the states, which is plenty of time. Case in point is FEAR for the Xbox 360 (which came out 6 months ago) vs. FEAR for the PS3 (which just came out). The PS3 version looks and plays worse. Considering it's a port, it's strange how this could have happened. Oh well, i'm sure it'll get better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)