does anyone have any notes or techniques on finding neverland (1 Viewer)

*sasha*

HSC
have an exam tomorrow on this and just switched from the previous text i had decided to do and have very little information on it. if anyone has any notes on it i would appreciate it sooo much if u could pm me. :)
thanks in advance!

Chelle Vance

HSC
hey im doing finding neverland this year as well and ive just switch texts. could u plz sharewith me any notes u hav on finding neverland please? :) thanks so much it would mean alot :)

freightlp

HSC
Hey lrigs. Ive been doin neverland as well. I chose it last yr n did my 1st assessment on it.

chilipeppers

HSC
I'm doing Finding Neverland as well. Did The Butterfly Effect in the AOS assessment and did decent but it didn't really suit my discussion so I've used Finding Neverland for half yearlies and trials tomorrow...
I think it goes really well with 'Lime Tree' if you're doing Coleridge. Similar kinda concepts of the role of the imagination etc.

Ashlee4988

HSC
I have been using Finding Neverland as a related text, i know this is a bit late, seeing as uve already done ur trial, but maybe this will help for HSC perhaps...?

Ok so my thesis statement is that "imaginative journeys, in their ability to transcent and overcome physical barriers and impossibilities, can provide an escape for the journeyer, when reality becomes too much" or something along those lines.

Techniques from FN that i used to relate to this include:
-the bright lighting, colouring and costuming as well as light, happy music of the imagined games James plays with the children, compared to these aspects of their reality
- James shown not to accept limitiations "JUST a dog??....Thats like saying he can't climb that mountain, he's just a man or, thats not a diamond, its just a rock", shows how his imagination allows him to see the world differently.
- In the scene where James and his wife argue after their dinner with the Davies family, his wife opens her door, and through the crack we see nothing but darkness, however when James opens his door, we see sunshine and tree's and the sound of birdcalls. This reflects how he is able to use his imaginiation to free him from his less than present reality, and escape to a better place.

Hope some of that was helpful....i think it links quite well with Colleridges poetry, but i still havnt really decided on what stimulus booklet text i'l use, they are all pretty much lame.

lildruitt

HSC
i did a speech and a proforma on FN.. here is cut out bits from the both of the texts i wrote about it... hope it helps ppl a bit.. :lol: :D

The vibrant imagery of Kensington Gardens, where Barrie often spends his time with Sylvia, and her family, contrast with the dull and dreary interior shots of his home. From the initial scenes, Barrie aims at introducing the young boy’s to the life of pure imagination, and dreams. In one scene Barrie tells the children of his dog, and how it can, at times, turn into a performing bear. The children don’t believe him and before proving it to them, he states ‘…its just a wee bit of imagination’. He then allows their imagination to speak for their minds, by ordering his dog to dance with him. Throughout this scene there are flashbacks between shots depicting his imagination, where the colour is vibrant and the camera zooms onto Barrie and the dancing bear and reality, where the children are watching Barrie and his dog play in the gardens. The children are enchanted and in turn it inspires Barrie.

These contrasts between adult drama to childhood fantasy are an integral element in creating the imaginative journey of Barrie, the children and the audience. Director Marc Forster employs special techniques that combine the real world of London with Barrie's overactive imagination. Often, ordinary shots turn into enchanting tales, such as when the Davie’s children are putting off bedtime by jumping on their beds, only to suddenly soar into the air and out of the window. With these special effects added to the film, it in turn allows the responder’s imagination to be stimulated by Barrie’s mind and work.

The music throughout the film is played by a simple orchestra which conveys a dreamlike mood. This is done by using quiet vocals, and simple instruments such as the flute, and violin. The music tends to get more upbeat before, and during, the flaskback scenes throughout the film, which highlights the importance of Barrie’s changing personal imaginative journey.

The last few scenes of the film see Barrie achieve his imaginative dream, by showing his play of ‘Peter Pan’. In it stars Sylvia’s three boys, all with an important part in the play. It wasn’t only Barrie’s mind, which wrote his famous play of Peter Pan, but also the inspiration of Peter, the youngest boy.

Also I added the quote :There is always time for games and make-believe, but there is also a time for reality.’

sare001

HSC
Yeah im doing FN too...where is a good place to look for information on the net??
Or any books that might help ?

cookie munchie

HSC
Does anyone have any idea which of coleridge's poetry could finding neverland be related to? possibly [FONT=&quot]Kubla Khan? a little help here please.
[/FONT]

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
cookie munchie said:
Does anyone have any idea which of coleridge's poetry could finding neverland be related to? possibly [FONT=&quot]Kubla Khan? a little help here please.
[/FONT]
Start a new thread as this one is heaps old. :)

Can i ask why you chose Finding Neverland? Yes, it's an imaginative journey but analysing it is incredibly difficult - finding techniques, which highlight the process of the journey isn't very simply and linkage can get quite hard.

cookie munchie

HSC
I think it is a wonderful text and has many strong points on the imaginative journey; I just have problems identifying techniques and putting thoughts on paper....so any ideas??:)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
cookie munchie said:
I think it is a wonderful text and has many strong points on the imaginative journey; I just have problems identifying techniques and putting thoughts on paper....so any ideas??:)
That's because there are very few techniques.

I loved the film but I wouldnt use it for a self selected text. I tried but it didnt work out. :)

cookie munchie

HSC
Hmmmmmmmm sorry but i still think it is a good related text and i plan on trying my best. I rewatched it on saturday and i think there are many techniques....problem is that im not so good at english so i dont know what those techniques (for example when Peter is fighting with his brother and the scene flashes from reality to the imaginary scene...what is that tech called?) are called but if i knew it would help me a lot. :p

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
cookie munchie said:
Hmmmmmmmm sorry but i still think it is a good related text and i plan on trying my best. I rewatched it on saturday and i think there are many techniques....problem is that im not so good at english so i dont know what those techniques (for example when Peter is fighting with his brother and the scene flashes from reality to the imaginary scene...what is that tech called?) are called but if i knew it would help me a lot. :p
Every technique has to relate to journeys and the question asked.

Eg. If the essay question "An imaginative journey is always a learning experience"

The technique, which you discuss will have to show the process of the journey and link to the question. :)

I really cant be much help to you as i find this text to be weak, sorry. :(

SunshineJess19

HSC
i find it extreamly easy, my teacher gave us this film as a part of out assment task that we have at this present moment, so i know for a fact that the film has some sort of backbone so to say. Plus use use the tecniques of the film, thats all you should pretty much us, that and the plot of the movie thats what we get told to do

:) :santa:

The bibliophile

HSC
I totally agree with you, the text has some amazing ideas about IJ and i am analysing it too. the beauty of english is (as my teacher ALWAYS tells us) that you can say anything as long as you back it up. so that scene that you were talking about, you have the technique, refer to it as a flashback and expand on it, say that it is to contrast the imaginative and the reality and also talk about how it could show how blurred the line is between imagination and reality for Barrie. Your on the right track....just have faith in yourself. and as for the techniques, maybe you should get your hands on a film handbook, we have one at school i think its called something like the "film makers handbook" with techniques and activities, just immerse yourself in finding techniques in film, freak out your friends by pointing out a reverse shot and a fade etc. just practise and you should get better. (i know, easier said than done)

P042

HSC
tanjin said:
That's because there are very few techniques.

I loved the film but I wouldnt use it for a self selected text. I tried but it didnt work out. :)
aww... u serious?
i was going to use this as my text

"imaginative journeys have the potential to take the traveller to suprising, unknown places beyond their original intention"

i thought FN fit perfectly in with this thesis that i have to evaluate and also matched well with Lime Tree. I have to write an essay with 2 Coleridge poems and 2 related texts. The marking criteria has nothing on techniques though (bit weird), do you still recommend it though?

I thought FN was a pretty good text for imaginative journeys, could you explain a bit more how it is lacking compared to other texts?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
P042 said:
aww... u serious?
i was going to use this as my text

"imaginative journeys have the potential to take the traveller to suprising, unknown places beyond their original intention"

i thought FN fit perfectly in with this thesis that i have to evaluate and also matched well with Lime Tree. I have to write an essay with 2 Coleridge poems and 2 related texts. The marking criteria has nothing on techniques though (bit weird), do you still recommend it though?

I thought FN was a pretty good text for imaginative journeys, could you explain a bit more how it is lacking compared to other texts?
If you can work your way around this text and find enough techniques to support your argument, by all means - use this as a self-selected text however if you've tried and are still struggling, switch to something else.

IMO it lacks techniques. I couldn't find ways to link it to two essay questions I was given and trust me, I tried. No marking criteria I was given, mentioned techniques directly, but in the end thats what gets the mark. If you can identify the technqiues and its purpose, teachers see that you understand the text and the question asked.

Have a look through the thread in the English Area of Study forum, which lists other self selected texts for Journeys.

Good luck. :D

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
P042 said:
lol hay tanjin again.. just wondering what texts did you end up choosing
I did the following texts:

Coleridge (Lime Tree & Rotam)
Robert Frost - Road not taken
Michael Leunig - The life you lead
The Verve - Bitter sweet symphony

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)