Does anyone know about appeal against grades (1 Viewer)

yiran liu

HSC
N/A
I am going to apply that, but does anyone have ever apply the appeals against grades or have u heard about that? Could u please tell me what I can do if I fail a unit but very close to pass. Can the professor change me to pass?:) :mad1: :bomb:

X

xeuyrawp

yiran liu said:
I am going to apply that, but does anyone have ever apply the appeals against grades or have u heard about that? Could u please tell me what I can do if I fail a unit but very close to pass. Can the professor change me to pass?:) :mad1: :bomb:

I'll hazard a guess to say that you're an EFS student. See here.

The bottom line is that you cannot appeal grades unless you have a reason. In fact, that link says this, specifically:

Invalid grounds for review/appeal

... The following are NOT valid grounds for applying for a review or appealing your grade and are NEVER accepted as such:
  • I didn’t fail by much.
Judging by what you said, you don't have a valid reason.

It wouldn't make sense for people to be passed simply because they were 'close'. Sorry, but study harder next sem.

H?

buddy
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'll hazard a guess to say that you're an EFS student.
Heh.

As an EFS student myself, I'd probably say that would be a fair guess :D

havy

HSC
depends on which unit u've failed, some lecturers are easier to talk thru than others.

invalid reasons: marks really close to pass; sickness (u should do supplementary exams instead)

possible valid reasons (not guaranteed): sudden events that affects ur study/revision/exam preparation...eg. ur house was flooded just b4 the exam.

of course you can also ask for a remark (need a valid reason) or claim that the lecturer has a grudge (discriminates) against you - you'll need some serious evidence to prove that.

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
lol this guy was on th econ110 lectures asking these questions.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I FAILED. how fucking karma that this thread laughs in my face as i did in its

nikmueller

HSC
looks like pwar covered your question.

hope you are alright though. failing a subject sucks, failing it by a tiny margin sucks more.

X

xeuyrawp

nikmueller said:
looks like pwar covered your question.

hope you are alright though. failing a subject sucks, failing it by a tiny margin sucks more.
True, but even if the final exam was 100% of the mark, students should still be aware of how they're performing. It's part of being at uni.

I reckon the special considerations and subsequent appeal against grades systems are pefect, and, unless you've gotten a concession for something, it shows that you needed a kick up the bum.

H?

buddy
HSC
Here's a choice email I received soon after the results were released, looks like the guy just spammed all the people doing the subject:

REVIEW EXAM SCRIPTS
Dear friends,
Thank you very much for all for your replys. We need more participation and more replies after you review your script papers.
We've seen our final papers today and we found the mark was really mean and harsh.
The marker just cross our answer and give "0" marks or really tinny marks for our explaination questions
and harsh marks for other question also.
We also found that it does not depend on questions. Some of friends got quite good mark (who also failed this course
as only got a few marks for other questions) for one question which we did in quite similar ways, but got 1, 2 or 3
marks out of 15 or above. Those explaination were quite reasonable or at least not for " 0 " mark.
We think this is not reasonable marking and our paper should be followed by proper marking criterias/ guides.
If you get "F" or unbelievablely low marks than you deserve, then please join us and appeal together to make things
better. We are not 100% sure that our exam results will be changed by the lecturers, but at least we do it now to
appeal to the Dean and Vice-chancellor, our appeal will still failed by the criterias of Macquarie policy or some explaination of
"examiner’s judgement was not objectively applied because of prejudice against the individual", but we think we will
be better off for next semester.
Questions in the exam were:
Q1 MCQ 20 Marks
Q2 Legal question 10 Marks
Q3 Audit risk (assurance) 15 Marks
Q4 Substantive Events 18 Marks
Q5 Audit opinion 16 Marks
Q6 Enron case 12 Marks
Q7 Internal control 9 Marks
Regards

APPEAL PLAN
Dear friends,
Some of the friends ask us how we will do, here is our plan:
First, we make a group but we do not have to meet, we share ideas
through email about how we make appeal in detail, collect your
opinions. so we can have a reasonable appeal to the Dean or the appeal Committee.
We think the most of students have same opinion with us.
'Marking was too harsh and not reasonable and marks were different from each of students even their answers were similar'
Second, we do appeal following uni procedures.
But we do not hope too much our final paper will be remarked at this stage.
Lastly, we gather our opinions and send it to the Dean directly in written form.
But first what we need is more participation so that we can make a bigger group.
We already have many email from our classmates who join us and we found they feel in same way with us.
We need to take some actions as soon as possible. So, if you feel you deserve better marks,
then please join us quick.
there are also some points that we hope the Dean can consider about:
1. we hope he/she could review the marking guide (since we think the marking guide is too much harsh)
2. we would like to know some explaination about the marking guide ( since they didnot give us very few or zero mark for
some questions which should have althernative answers)
3. mid-semester exam papers have been also marked wrong (it could also be happen in the final exam)
welcome to add up your own opinion.
regards
:confused:

X

xeuyrawp

Lol at the email. What a moron.

a) CBF running spell-check,
b) CBF reading the guidelines. It looks like the marker was harsh, not prejudicial,
c) CBF looking up if the Dean is a he or she,
d) CBF realising that the 'plan' is generally moronic, is a waste of time, and, in the end, will do more harm than good.

I assume they're only having a cry because their visa's about to expire and that they're going to get deported without a degree?

havy

HSC
last semester was especially special because after September the accounting degree will no longer provide extra incentives for immigration. therefore it is crucial to pass everything and graduate (obtaining the degree) b4 September.

Tabris

HSC
I barely passed a subject where the failure rate is rumored to be astronomical.

Half of the unit outline describes about how easily u can fail the subject. Not only that, but also how the final is marked and what it means if u fail.

In EFS, if u pass final, u pass everything, if u get 40/40 pre final and get 29/60 for the final. Your final mark is 29. But if u get 30/60 for the final then the pre final mark will be scaled down to reflect your performance in the final.

It is tough, but it is fair. The lecturer was kind enough to prvoide an explanation fo your failure, he will look over your actual exam paper, and discuss the weak points and why you failed.

The subject was harsh, but the lecturer clearly declared that passing the subject was a rite of passage, if u fail, ur not ready for graduation.

In something as important as third year accg, i guess, it would be very important for your work and career to have a solid foundation. Would i hire you if u just barely passed auditing or dont know how to gain the fruits from your alma mater?

P.S, the person who wrote that email should not be at university, its not even at a school certificate standard.

sja

dingleberry
HSC
Tabris said:
I barely passed a subject where the failure rate is rumored to be astronomical.

Half of the unit outline describes about how easily u can fail the subject. Not only that, but also how the final is marked and what it means if u fail.

In EFS, if u pass final, u pass everything, if u get 40/40 pre final and get 29/60 for the final. Your final mark is 29. But if u get 30/60 for the final then the pre final mark will be scaled down to reflect your performance in the final.

It is tough, but it is fair. The lecturer was kind enough to prvoide an explanation fo your failure, he will look over your actual exam paper, and discuss the weak points and why you failed.

The subject was harsh, but the lecturer clearly declared that passing the subject was a rite of passage, if u fail, ur not ready for graduation.

In something as important as third year accg, i guess, it would be very important for your work and career to have a solid foundation. Would i hire you if u just barely passed auditing or dont know how to gain the fruits from your alma mater?

P.S, the person who wrote that email should not be at university, its not even at a school certificate standard.
Shutup you fucking geek.

Have you even worked as an accountant before? I have plenty of friends that work for JP & Morgan and PWC, and they say that what they do at work and what they learn at university are two completely different things.

You use 5% of the stuff you learn at Uni when you start working.

Go get a life you fucking faggot.

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
sja said:
Shutup you fucking geek.

FAIL.

Edited to add: This is my 300th post, it's only taken me close to 4 years...

Last edited:

Tabris

HSC
sja said:
Shutup you fucking geek.

Have you even worked as an accountant before? I have plenty of friends that work for JP & Morgan and PWC, and they say that what they do at work and what they learn at university are two completely different things.

You sound very enthusiastic about accounting, maybe you should get a life too for resurrecting a 4 month old thread for flaming as well as being a pro CS (i assume it is counter-strike game) player?

Maybe you should have look at my post again?

I am just voicing my opinion on what i would do if i was the employer viewing an employee with a poor foundation in communication skills and mediocre results.

I would bet your friends who made it to JP Morgan and PWC are hard workers who can probably communicate better than the person who wrote the letter above and your friends probably have an excellent CV/resume.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

sja said:
Shutup you fucking geek.

Your arguments were so much more persuasive by your literary introduction and conclusion; 'shuttup you fucking geek', and 'get a life you fucking faggot' respectively.

Good job with the whole life and being crap thing. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)