does anyone know why im just plain bad with makeup? (1 Viewer)

shortstraw999

HSC
im 18 and ive finally decided dark eye circles+ red bags need to go.. (yes im a bit of a latecomer but my parents are pretty strict and entirely against makeup)

i empty 100 dollars at the supermarket and buy covergirl matte foundation (a light and a dark shade so i can mix them to get my face's colour), brown undereye concealer ( i was told yellow and green concealers counteract colours better.. but no one seemed to really use them) , powder, a brush etc...

when it finally comes down to the practicals however, im at a total loss :( i dont get it! its meant to be so easy!

with foundation : it looks flaky on my skin, or matt - ed, as in, like a mat.. it doesnt look smooth and like natural skin.. with concealer, the redness under my eyes fade slightly but its still very clear and distinct.. my dark circles look even starker against my skin..

ive seen tons of girls cover up their under eye circles completely, and i really really want to be do that as well :( does anyone know wat im doing wrong? is it technique/ brand? (i admit i was a bit cheap in choosing just covergirl and maybelline :D but i Was buying all my makeup in one go)

o and, has anyone been at this stage and progressed past it? pls give me some inspiration ^^

Thanks!!! any advice would be much appreciated, sorry for the very wordy post :)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
You should go to Myer comestic section. Most worker there will help and teach you if you cant appiled ^_^.

Btw im like you except i cant do the J rock hair ><

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
with your foundation, i think it would help to moisturise your skin before you use it. if it looks flaky your skin is probably dry and it's showing under the makeup. you may also be using too much, you only need a very light cover to even out your skin most of the time.

with under-eye circles i just put a teensy bit of foundation there and that fixes the problem, but then again i don't normally get circles that are bad enough to warrant covering. i'd say if you put concealer there, blended it in really well and topped up with a small amount of foundation you should be ok.

i used to be exactly like you. you just have to practice, and get someone with more experience to teach you.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah practice really does make perfect.

Yellow concealer helps balance out darkness (like under your eyes)
Green concealer helps balance out redness (ie. Zits)
You should only need a small amount of concealer. You might want to use a skin coloured concealer on top of the green/yellow and then foundation on top. But use very thin layers or you're gonna end up cakey.

Moisturise, and also look after your skin! It really does make a really huge difference.

But TBH, for $100 you could have purchased much better products than Maybelline/Covergirl.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Plz post a picture of you in your make up and we judge if you look good or not. ( I wont laugh because im kool with anything lol).

shortstraw999

HSC
wow thanks guys! i'll try out all ur suggestions, and maybe raid myer if im still hopeless :) and THANKYOU doris!!! i was beginning to think i was destined to be doomed.. im kinda shy tho, zehurricane so u wont be seeing a pic of me anytime soon :p im not that good-looking either :S (otherwise i would Definitely have put up a pic ;) ) thanks so much everyone!!!! i'll put a reply telling u guys when ive finally succeeded ^^

K

katie_tully

Nutrimetics; get yourself some primer. In the morning when you exfoliate your face, apply the primer and then when it dries apply your foundation with a brush.
Make sure you brush downwards - if you brush upwards you'll make the hair on your face stand up which catches the foundation.
Blend into your neck, that way you wont have a caked on face.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I just moisturise and use an Innoxa foundation (definitely not $100, more like $20) over my face with a make-up sponge, blending under my chin, and putting a bit more under my eyes to lighten up the rather dark circles. Take care if using concealer, it can be a bit too thick and unnaturally light for under there. A little bit of well-blended blush, and that's it. Keep it light, get the shop assistants to match the colour to your skin tone, and you should be fine.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
Are you using liquid or powder foundation? And, how are you applying it? Fingers, sponge, brush?
Like doris said, only a thin application is needed, otherwise it gets obvious. Even if you think your skin is terrible and you need to hide it under foundation, don't put it on thick.
Is your skin oily? Usually matte foundations don't contain oil, or moisturiser. If your skin is normal or dry, you might be better off using a foundation that isn't matte, as it could be making you look dehydrated (flaking)

shortstraw999

HSC
in reply to liz :) - i heard liquid foundation is a lot harder to smooth out and make consistent across your face (and ive got two left hands), so im using a matte mousse/whipped cream foundation. i saw a makeup artist's vid where she used triangular sponges, n lo and behold! i found a pack labelled exactly "triangular foundation sponges"! it makes foundation look totally inconsistent tho :S so lately ive been using just fingers

im not really sure if my skin is oily/combination/dry.. my skin becomes dry really quickly in the shower, so it may be dry.. but when i go out, by the afternoon my face is all oily, so it may be oily.. i heard that if u have dry skin, going out dries ur face out even more so ur skin goes oily to compensate, so i bought a simple moisturiser and i wear it before going out (often without makeup), but my forehead still goes oil by afternoon :S so maybe i'll ask the myer ladies to give me an assessment..

ur idea abt the matte sounds right, it always Does look flaky.. i'll be raiding my bank balance again next week i suppose :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
liquid foundation is actually easier than people make it out to be. you dot it onto your face (2 or 3 dots in each area will do) and then use your fingers or a sponge to blend it in over your face. i find fingers easier, but everyone's different.

you do sound like you have combination skin. perhaps what you could do is apply liquid foundation everywhere (a non matte one) and then put a bit of loose powder on the bits that get oily (choose one that soaks up excess oil). don't use too much powder or it'll look obvious what you're doing, though. i have oily skin and i do this but i put the powder all over my face, you'll only need to put it on your T zone, probably.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
if you want cheap(ish) foundation that stays on all day and doesnt rub/sweat off, get revlon colourstay makeup ($30ish). its medium coverage, with lots of shades. iif you put too much on it gets a bit cakey, but if you use a 5c piece sized blob all over your face it should look natural.

you need to use a really good cleanser to get it off, but i use it, and its brilliant.

i also use estee lauder double wear (like revlon colourstay but a bit smoother and the dewier) and everyday minerals mineral makeup (sup skeeta) which you use a kabuki brush to buff into your skin.

i've also recently bought this:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catal...&CategoryID=3558&PageID=3365*1*24*-1*-1*Y*195
which is the best makeup i've ever tried, it looks just like skin and its budgeproof.

but its pretty expensive, so try colourstay first. because the foundation is medium, it usually covers blemishes and under eye circles well enough for you not to need concealer.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Azamakumar said:
God I hate people that dont know how to use makeup. Way to highlight your insecurities.

EDIT: Not referencing OP, just curry chicks that think cake is cool.

Them how do girls get they skill in makeup up or do they automatic learn stright away like when they 14 or something?

K

katie_tully

zehurricane said:
Them how do girls get they skill in makeup up or do they automatic learn stright away like when they 14 or something?
Dude, you'd have to be pretty dumb not to notice that you've got 5 inches of foundation on your face, and that it's 11 shades ligher/darker than your natural skin tone.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
katie_tully said:
Dude, you'd have to be pretty dumb not to notice that you've got 5 inches of foundation on your face, and that it's 11 shades ligher/darker than your natural skin tone.
lol i got a fairly epic tan (for me) about a week ago, now my foundation is like 3 shades too light for my face, i can't wait till i'm white again because i can't use my makeup till then :eek:

mzduxx2006

HSC
shortstraw999 said:
im 18 and ive finally decided dark eye circles+ red bags need to go.. (yes im a bit of a latecomer but my parents are pretty strict and entirely against makeup)

i empty 100 dollars at the supermarket and buy covergirl matte foundation (a light and a dark shade so i can mix them to get my face's colour), brown undereye concealer ( i was told yellow and green concealers counteract colours better.. but no one seemed to really use them) , powder, a brush etc...

when it finally comes down to the practicals however, im at a total loss :( i dont get it! its meant to be so easy!

with foundation : it looks flaky on my skin, or matt - ed, as in, like a mat.. it doesnt look smooth and like natural skin.. with concealer, the redness under my eyes fade slightly but its still very clear and distinct.. my dark circles look even starker against my skin..

ive seen tons of girls cover up their under eye circles completely, and i really really want to be do that as well :( does anyone know wat im doing wrong? is it technique/ brand? (i admit i was a bit cheap in choosing just covergirl and maybelline :D but i Was buying all my makeup in one go)

o and, has anyone been at this stage and progressed past it? pls give me some inspiration ^^

Thanks!!! any advice would be much appreciated, sorry for the very wordy post :)
your not bad. you just havent had practise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)