does EVERYONE change their timetable? (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
I dunno, but i get the idea that everyone changes their timetable. I actually don't think my timetable is that bad. ie. i don't find the thought of going to uni 5 days a week that bad, and my unit time slots aren't too bad either. I did originally want Friday off, so i tried to change my timetable to accomodate that, but it ended up with some lectures still on Friday which couldn't be changed (at least, i'm pretty sure they can't be changed), so i thought "how about just keeping my timetable as it is?". There's no 'social-stigma' (ie. i'm a sad loser) for thinking that 5 uni days is fine, is there? I don't have a job yet, so i can't really attempt to change my timetable to suit a non-existant job. The only other reason i'd really want to change my timetable is for social/exercise/sport reasons, but i could always leave that for the end of the day/mornings and the weekend, couldn't i? There are people out there who don't change their timetables at all, right? >_> Would getting some free days give me more study time/time in general to do stuff, or does it not make much difference? cos if it doesn't make a difference, then i'll probably just leave my timetable as is.

ps. please don't flame for my noob-like-qualities :eek:

Shaking Paper

HSC
Judging by the queues each year, everyone and their friend changes their timetable.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
shall do...

edit: oops. was in reply to morganforrest's post.

ashmobs said:
who gives a fuck what people think

do what makes you happy
i quite like this advice. :eek:

edit: okey, here is my timetable:

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Most everyone in first-year science degrees has 5 days a week. Don't spaz. I've had 5-day weeks for the past two years, and this first semester as well. *shrug*

ssglain

HSC
Be happy that you don't have 3 unresolvable clashes. I have CHEM1903 tutorial/INFO1903 lecture, BIOL1903 prac/MATH1906 seminar, BIOL1903 lecture/INFO1903 prac running at the same time. All my units have at the most two distinct streams - for most things there is only one stream so I can't just switch over to a free stream to fix the clashes.

Have a look in http://www.timetable.usyd.edu.au/ and scroll down to "An index of the clashes encountered by the allocation system for Semester 1". It's funny in a very cruel sense.

Can anyone tell me from experience whether these things get fixed or not? I hope they won't just shrug and say "Well, tough luck. Drop the unit or get a friend to record the lecture."

Last edited by a moderator:

webby234

HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
Be happy that you don't have 3 unresolvable clashes. I have CHEM1903 tutorial/INFO1903 lecture, BIOL1903 prac/MATH1906 seminar, BIOL1903 lecture/INFO1903 prac running at the same time. All my units have at the most two distinct streams - for most things there is only one stream so I can't just switch over to a free stream to fix the clashes.

Have a look in http://www.timetable.usyd.edu.au/ and scroll down to "An index of the clashes encountered by the allocation system for Semester 1". It's funny in a very cruel sense.

Can anyone tell me from experience whether these things get fixed or not? I hope they won't just shrug and say "Well, tough luck. Drop the unit or get a friend to record the lecture."
Very unlikely it can be resolved. The SSP units can be very cruel with clashes. With the MATH1906 seminar, that is compulsory, although I do know that at least one person was allowed to miss the MATH1907 seminar in second semester for half the time (a bio prac that ran only half the weeks i think) and still do 1907. Better if you can get that clash changed (even if it's to another clash...). Tutorial/Lecture clashes are pretty common though (half our physics class seemed to have to miss at least one lecture/wk) - you'll just have to miss the lecture and catch up for the other two clashes.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Most everyone in first-year science degrees has 5 days a week. Don't spaz. I've had 5-day weeks for the past two years, and this first semester as well. *shrug*
oh, ok. i see. :p well, at least i'm happy with my timetable, so all is well. :)

lgaica

HSC
i had to change my timetable in order to get 3 days a week instead of 4, they were very helpful

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
First semester I didn't have to change it, got thursdays and fridays off. The only problem is 2X2h gaps but I've had 4hour gaps before so i gueess i can deal with it.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
ssglain said:

INFO1903 would be the one to skip if you've done any sort of programming/web design before. I was going to do the advanced stream but they didn't offer it in second semester last year, so i did INFO1003 instead. Piss easy, seriously. I had a clash with that subject too so i ended up missing all the lectures, didn't study for it (thanks to my 2 harder subjects being the day before and 2 days after the exam) and almost managed to pull a distinction out of it.

The BIOL1903/MATH1906 clash would be the one to worry about, seeing as they're both compulsory aren't they?

ssglain

HSC
goony said:
INFO1903 would be the one to skip if you've done any sort of programming/web design before. I was going to do the advanced stream but they didn't offer it in second semester last year, so i did INFO1003 instead. Piss easy, seriously. I had a clash with that subject too so i ended up missing all the lectures, didn't study for it (thanks to my 2 harder subjects being the day before and 2 days after the exam) and almost managed to pull a distinction out of it.

The BIOL1903/MATH1906 clash would be the one to worry about, seeing as they're both compulsory aren't they?
The BIOL1903/MATH1906 clash seems unresolvable unless I do no INFO units at all. Hmm. However, it's a lot better if I swap over to INFO1003.

I've only done a little bit of web design before so I'm not heading in with any expectations of it being a breeze. I don't intend to major (or minor, for that matter) in IT or computer science. I plan to major in applied maths and an area of medical science for the B Sc (Adv) portion of my combined med program. I'm interested in exploring the application of mathematical thinking in fields of medical research so I'd like to gain sufficient knowledge and skills in IT/programming to help me with it. The main reason that I'm taking INFO1903 is because in addition to Java, it also teaches Python which will be a much more useful tool for what I want to do in the future. It looks like I'll just have to pick up Python on my own then when the need arises.

So between INFO1003 and INFO1103, which one do you think is more suitable for me? I won't be able to do one now and do the other one next semester because I want to do COSC1901 and COSC1902 then.

Addictd2

HSC
your timetable is pretty good for 1st year. i had 4 days a week of 8am lectures for both semesters. stupid math >(

ssglain

HSC
I got everything sorted. I spent 5 hours negotiating between schools of bio/chem/maths/IT. I'm going to be able to do INFO1903 now because Chemistry has agreed to let to attend my tutorial with the CHEM1901 stream and IT has agreed to let me come to prac an hour late so I can go to the BIOL1903 lecture first and my supervisor will stay behind an hour with me to cover anything that I miss. I'm loving the School of IT right now - they were by far the most helpful to me today. Also the timetable people helped me shift things around a bit so I can have that BIOL1903 prac on Monday so that it doesn't clash with the MATH1906 seminar any more. PHEW.

Last edited:

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
ssglain said:
I got everything sorted. I spent 5 hours negotiating between faculties. I'm going to be able to do INFO1903 now because Chemistry has agreed to let to attend my tutorial with the CHEM1901 stream and IT has agreed to let me come to prac an hour late so I can go to the BIOL1903 lecture first and my supervisor will stay behind an hour with me to cover anything that I miss. I'm loving the School of IT right now - they were by far the most helpful to me today. Also the timetable people helped me shift things around a bit so I can have that BIOL1903 prac on Monday so that it doesn't clash with the MATH1906 seminar any more. PHEW.
glad to hear you got it all sorted out. :)

cloche

Isobel
HSC
Kwayera said:
Eeep, thanks for clarifying that! :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I just need some time to work etc.

Love the "give me one day off" option.

I have monday and most of friday off. Unlike last semester where I had Monday, Thursday and Friday off. Those 5 day weekends, boy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ssejamafone said:
shall do...

edit: oops. was in reply to morganforrest's post.

i quite like this advice. :eek:

Hahaha I'd almost forgotten how bad first year was.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
8 contact hours a week this semester. 9 in the next.

but a thesis to write and a substantial majorwork to create

wu89

HSC
ssejamafone said:

i wouldnt change it as it's a pretty good timetable.

p.s we're in the same math1002 lecture (thought i'd add that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)