Does General scale really badly? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But who would be proud of a State Ranking in General? It's like being captain of the Australia Z team.

I say, avoid it at all costs if you can do even remotely well in 2u. It's a joke subject for a reason, and the scaling reflects that.

Last edited by a moderator:

jet

Banned
HSC
But who would be proud of a State Ranking in General? It's like being captain of the Australia Z team.

I say, avoid it at all costs if you can do even remotely well in 2u. It's a joke subject for a reason, and the scaling reflects that.
Umm, I think many many people would be proud of a State Ranking in General when it means that they beat out 30159 people (in 2009).

Aeriff

HSC
I really don't get why everyone bags on General. Sure, it scales badly but it comes down to an individual choice. If you don't want to do 2u, then do 2u (and/or 3u/4u) by all means - but don't get on your high horse to the kids who want to do General. As woeful as my ATAR as, General really did save my ass.

inb4 haters

HSC
general scales badly in comparison to other maths subjects, but it isn't the worst scaling subject

if you're into high ATARs though, should do Extension 2, just like how you shouldn't do English standard if you're into high ATARs ;)

seerat

HSC
N/A
i guess general is better....as people are saying that 80% of general maths is 60-70% of 2u...but u have to accept the fact that it is easier to get 80 in general than 70 in 2u....i have seen people who are capable of doing 2u but are doing general to be on the top.....which does make sense
so i think...if u are good at maths....and are doing general.....u will score welll.....and the scalling wont affect u at all

hayleyemma96

HSC
I did general maths and I got an ATAR of 92.35
If you do well (high band 5 - band 6), you won't be affected that much by scaling

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I did general maths and I got an ATAR of 92.35
If you do well (high band 5 - band 6), you won't be affected that much by scaling
You're an outlier... Similar to drifting97.

General mathematics will scale down no matter what score you get. In saying so, the typical "you can attain a 99.95 atar with any subject choice" is therefore obviously not true since even if you topped all your subjects, it'll limit you to a 96-98 range, hence it does have bad scaling...

norwegianwood

HSC
i got 98.95 with general maths

band 6 in general without much work > band 6 in 2u which would have required effort on my part

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I got roughly 43-44/100 raw. Aligned then scaled to a 98 atar equivalent.

mx2lyf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)