Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
So God is a crutch for people who can't handle reality or cope with what's going on around them?

I'm sure there are scores of people who went through personal tragedies and wars who, converse to your story, didn't need the crutch of God to get through their problems.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
danie said:
you've missed the point of religion and god.

religion exists more than anything as something to lean on.

i think i said this managore's views but

just as marx said religiong is opium for the poor people and smashing pumpkins: could you believe in heaven if heaven was all you had is the main thing.

i don't know if you caught oprah but there was woman on it from rwanda and she was part of the tetsu (is that right?) that were getting flushed. she saw sixteen of her family memebrs hacked to death, killed, she was unmercifullessly raped over and over until the soldiers got over it. when htey slept she ran away.

oprah asked her what got her thru it

she said god and her kid.

i think that's enough to say that god exists.

and maybe im contradicting myself but essentially whether he/she is really there sometimes that's all that people have to hold on to.
Your argument:
1. A woman went through terrible suffering
2. She gained hope through a belief in God
C. Therefore her belief is correct

It's tragic and all, but sorry, I don't buy it.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Back when the idea of higher beings was thrown around, people of that time were very suspcious, and now the idea is so instilled that people fail to think about it logically, I just comprehend the existence of higher beings or anything supernatural. However I believe some of the stories of the bible are true, it's just people have misinterpreted them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
danie said:
you've missed the point of religion and god.

religion exists more than anything as something to lean on.

i think i said this managore's views but

just as marx said religiong is opium for the poor people and smashing pumpkins: could you believe in heaven if heaven was all you had is the main thing.

i don't know if you caught oprah but there was woman on it from rwanda and she was part of the tetsu (is that right?) that were getting flushed. she saw sixteen of her family memebrs hacked to death, killed, she was unmercifullessly raped over and over until the soldiers got over it. when htey slept she ran away.

oprah asked her what got her thru it

she said god and her kid.

i think that's enough to say that god exists.

and maybe im contradicting myself but essentially whether he/she is really there sometimes that's all that people have to hold on to.
Again... the problem with the whole miracles thing...
# Lots of people have personally witnessed Elvis working at the Drive-Thru. Should I believe them also? Without any sort of evidence, personal subjective testimony is not very convincing.
# Many people from other religions claim to have witnessed miracles. Does this mean that their God also exists? Just how many Gods are there?
# Are you positive that Divine Intervention is the only possible explanation for what you saw?

danie

a fool
HSC
but really everyone's different.

you've grown up where really everything has been dispensible. you live in a society that breeds diversity of opinion and you're accustomed to believing not everything can be simplified.

religion for you i guess is archaic.

and that's fine.

but don't be so ready to question someone's belief if it fills up a void in their life.

you can't just put your noses down on people who believe in this omniscient, omnipresent entity just because you yourself can't.

like i said whether it be buddha, allah, god we're all living in the same world and i don't believe in fucking it up for other people.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
danie said:
but really everyone's different.

you've grown up where really everything has been dispensible. you live in a society that breeds diversity of opinion and you're accustomed to believing not everything can be simplified.

religion for you i guess is archaic.

and that's fine.

but don't be so ready to question someone's belief if it fills up a void in their life.

you can't just put your noses down on people who believe in this omniscient, omnipresent entity just because you yourself can't.

like i said whether it be buddha, allah, god we're all living in the same world and i don't believe in fucking it up for other people.
Well that's nice but if you want to preach tolerance, that's just common sense and this isn't the forum for it. This is a philosophical discussion about whether God exists. We're not out to attack people here.

danie

a fool
HSC
yeh?

well then go at it. why doesn't god exist?

don't give me that big bang bull crap 'cause yeh i believe in it. but how can you prove that it was just a matter of "chance".

i mean stephen king got it wrong about the blackholes didn't he.

spell check

HSC
Sophie777 said:
I'd like to see Satan battle God today. God would so lose.
why is it that whenever people think of God they tend not to personify Him or anything, but accept him as an omnipotent entity

but Satan is seen as this two legged red male type figure with a tail, which resembles a man

is it because people recognise that maybe Satan is man, and God is the world?

fits in pretty well with how we are fucking up the environment, and each other.

to say that it is actually the Devil acting, or making us act when we do bad things is possibly just a way of absolving ourselves from blame

Sophie777

With the woman from Rwanda. Don't you think that believing in the mercy of God saving you in those situations is a little unfair considering God could quite easily, given the powers religious people give to him, have stopped the massacre? How could you forgive a God who watched thousands of people die just because they could live forever?

I know he 'can't' as people always say but then don't attribute strength of will to God's powers and these are human powers. Whether it was God that gave her strength was irrelevant as it is all in her mind- he does not exist in reality- it was her kid that allowed her to realise that life should go on.

danie

a fool
HSC
Sophie777 said:
With the woman from Rwanda. Don't you think that believing in the mercy of God saving you in those situations is a little unfair considering God could quite easily, given the powers religious people give to him, have stopped the massacre? How could you forgive a God who watched thousands of people die just because they could live forever?

I know he 'can't' as people always say but then don't attribute strength of will to God's powers and these are human powers. Whether it was God that gave her strength was irrelevant as it is all in her mind- he does not exist in reality- it was her kid that allowed her to realise that life should go on.
she wasn't believing in the mercy of god to get her out.

after the ordeal she turned to god.

Sophie777

spell check said:
why is it that whenever people think of God they tend not to personify Him or anything, but accept him as an omnipotent entity

but Satan is seen as this two legged red male type figure with a tail, which resembles a man

is it because people recognise that maybe Satan is man, and God is the world?

fits in pretty well with how we are fucking up the environment, and each other.

to say that it is actually the Devil acting, or making us act when we do bad things is possibly just a way of absolving ourselves from blame
Why did you quote me when you said that? Satan is just as in our minds as God. If anything, he is more within us that God. God seen as man because he never existed and because he shared no traits of human beings whereas the mistakes of Satan and his sin resemble all that we are.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
danie said:
yeh?

well then go at it. why doesn't god exist?

don't give me that big bang bull crap 'cause yeh i believe in it. but how can you prove that it was just a matter of "chance".
First, the onus is on others to first prove that God does exist. It's like saying "yeh? Prove why a flying elephant that can talk doesn't exist?"

Secondly, I don't have to prove God doesn't exist. I'm agnostic.

danie said:
i mean stephen king got it wrong about the blackholes didn't he.
I think you mean Stephen Hawking.

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Religion does more wrong than it does good i'm sorry.
For sure, whilst I respect everyone has the right to have their own beliefs, if there was no religion, the majority of wars wouldn't happen. Sting said "we share the same biology, regardless of ideology"

danie

a fool
HSC
TheBirdMustFly said:
For sure, whilst I respect everyone has the right to have their own beliefs, if there was no religion, the majority of wars wouldn't happen. Sting said "we share the same biology, regardless of ideology"
i think you've summed it up perfectly w/ the sting quote.

and really what people do in the name of god and god him/herself are two totally different things.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
danie said:

and really what people do in the name of god and god him/herself are two totally different things.
I know! Like writing that whole Bible thing, man...

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
danie said:

the fanatical religious groups, like the fanatical christians in the US that abuse homosexuals and try to wipe out other religions by endorsing wars against muslim countries, and the minority of terrorist muslims, have all misinterpreted what their religion really means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)