Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
superbird said:
wtf. im not basing my life on this book. who told you that? i base my life on the belief i have for God. You are obviously confused and lost. for starters you assume or Christians are fundamentalists or evangelicals who believe the Bible word for word and take it literally. That is clearly not the case and anybody with half a brain would know that there are many different variants within religions.
Believing in God does not mean you have to believe everything the Bible says. And lets get that straight.
so wat is this book 4 u?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
osk said:
So r u saying that the only thing keeping us from acting in a 'good' way is the law? U sed that people have a moral code that is based on their culture and social context........do you really not believe that humans have a distinct notion of what is good or bad....why is is it as you say...that most people do not want to kill??
I think you are getting into ethics. It has been argued for almost an eternity whether one can have ethics with religion. Most people have morals, that is knowing what actions are good and bad, but ethics are a different story. Ethics are the justification for human moral behaviour ie. why killing is bad. The question is whether justification can be given to moral behaviour...this has been debated for ages. All humans can be moral, without religion, as they know what actions are good and what are bad, but can justification to why one action is bad and another is good arise without religion, that is the question?

osk

HSC
joujou_84 said:
replicate how?
I apologise...my initial quote said :"infallible" and should have been "fallible"

Im asking you...since God did not permit Muhhamad to write down his word....why are humans allowed to produce copies of the Koran today?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Do you guys realise Christianity has other sources in the formation of its belief system other than the Bible? Its not the sole authority on beliefs

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Off-tagent interruption again

Good books

The Da Vinci Code
Why Christianity Must Change Or Die
Memnoch the Devil - Anne Rice
The New Believers

I've thrown away all books in site (at least into a big box for the holidays and dont intend reading at all) but they say that the first book you read after the HSC will be your best.....

BORING

Carry on.

I should find out the other authors but meh

superbird

HSC
I refer to the Baptisimal Covenant.

The Baptismal Covenant

Bishop Do you believe in God the Father?
People I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

Bishop Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?
People I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

Bishop Do you believe in God the Holy Spirit?
People I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

Bishop Will you continue in the apostles' teaching and
fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers?
People I will, with God's help.

Bishop Will you persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever
you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?

Bishop Will you proclaim by word and example the Good
News of God in Christ?

Bishop Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving
your neighbor as yourself?

Bishop Will you strive for justice and peace among all
people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

In my opinion, you are Christian, in particular the Roman Catholic faith, if you accept the covenant. Nowhere does it say that we must accept belief of the entire Bible.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
acmilan said:
Do you guys realise Christianity has other sources in the formation of its belief system other than the Bible? Its not the sole authority on beliefs
how exactly? when they read the sermons in the church arent they reading out of the bible?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
osk said:
I apologise...my initial quote said :"infallible" and should have been "fallible"

Im asking you...since God did not permit Muhhamad to write down his word....why are humans allowed to produce copies of the Koran today?
god didnt dictate to mohammad!!!!!!!!!!..........god sent these words down to mohammad. i dunno wat they used to write on.....but they were written on wateva and finally put into books...........u r allowed to write out words from the koran........however u cant make up words or change sentences.........anyway if copies werent made............how would ppl read the koran.

osk

HSC
joujou_84 said:
so wat is this book 4 u?[/QUOTYes

...I am the dreaded evangelic and proud of it....I believe the Bible to be the infallible Word of God........I believe that the Holy Spirit is at work in the world making sure that the bible is translated correctly and does not lose its meaning...

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
osk said:
joujou_84 said:
so wat is this book 4 u?[/QUOTYes

...I am the dreaded evangelic and proud of it....I believe the Bible to be the infallible Word of God........I believe that the Holy Spirit is at work in the world making sure that the bible is translated correctly and does not lose its meaning...
then why the errors.....do u believe the bible has errors?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
dark_angel said:
how exactly? when they read the sermons in the church arent they reading out of the bible?
Well first of all authority structure plays a big role in formation of beliefs, especially in the Catholic church

There is a thing called natural law which is also emphasised in the catholic church where humans are called upon to use human reasoning to discover God's eternal law.

There are a number of things that are used in the basis of belief formations, not solely the Bible

osk

HSC
joujou_84 said:
god didnt dictate to mohammad!!!!!!!!!!..........god sent these words down to mohammad. i dunno wat they used to write on.....but they were written on wateva and finally put into books...........u r allowed to write out words from the koran........however u cant make up words or change sentences.........anyway if copies werent made............how would ppl read the koran.
So how can you be sure that the meaning of the Koran has never changed.....what guarentees that fact....in the case of the Bible...I believe it is the Holy Spirit

superbird

HSC
joujou_84 said:
so wat is this book 4 u?
I interpret the Bible in terms of what society would consider acceptable today. I use it as a reference for ethical and moral situations. To me its an almost accurate recount of Jesus' life, death and resurrection.
Note how my interpretation contrasts with osk's. He is evangelical, I am more liberal.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why would mohammed or jesus make the bible so hard for people to understand? why is it that such large groups of people can believe that they're in a holy war and you people can dismiss it simply as they're wrong?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
acmilan said:
Well first of all authority structure plays a big role in formation of beliefs, especially in the Catholic church

There is a thing called natural law which is also emphasised in the catholic church where humans are called upon to use human reasoning to discover God's eternal law.

There are a number of things that are used in the basis of belief formations, not solely the Bible
muslims too rely on the teaches of the imams that came after mohammad and not only the qoran..........the qoran speaks in general.............for more deeper things we refer to the teachings of the progeny of mohammad. i think all religions rely on a few different sources

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
acmilan said:
However, it is to my knowledge that these 'sources' were influenced by the Bible and Christianity rather than written by outside, unbiased, well, sources (and most were written AFTER the Bible, whereas more reliable sources should have been written at the time of the 'event').

Which is why there is no record of the 'Exodus' (think someone would have noticed, particularly the Egyptians, about half a million of their slaves trooping into the desert?) or 'Great Flood' anywhere but the Bible (and the Koran - which, let's face it, is practically the same for the Old Testament or whatever it's called in the Koran as it is in the Bible, in which both of these events 'occur').

My point is that no source can be used as evidence for the Christian faith, as there is no outside (aka non-believer) source that describes the main events that the Bible and 'other sources' detail.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Being Catholic, and not evangelical nor fundamentalist, i do believe in the natural law of God, that we must use the human reasoning given to us to discover the eternal law of God which can be done through human experience and guidance by the bible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)