Does it matter what uni you go to for Law? (1 Viewer)

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, does it really matter which uni you to study law? For job prospect reasons?
Do employers look highly upon uni graduates from unsw, usyd, anu or melbourne? Or will they look the same upon uni graduates from uts, maq, notre dame...
Considering that everything else is the same, e.g. marks, attitude and knowledge

PLEASE HELP

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Prestige is pretty much the LAST resort to differentiating potential employees.

If you rely on prestige to get ahead in the job market, you're pretty much doing everything wrong. This doesn't just apply to just Law but all positions which required a Bachelors.

So yes, it matters if you are a student who tries to get by university by doing the least and is chronically lazy.

qwerty44

HSC
Go to the uni which best suits you ie distance, atar requirement etc and uni prestige should be the last thing you consider, if not never.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
my 2c, i think prestige does influence things

OP, your peers and many youths of sydney go well out of their way to attend unsw/usyd, and this has been the case for decades.
I have never heard of anyone go out of their way to attend a non G8, if they have made the course everywhere.

whether you think "employers" value prestige, is pretty situational. firstly if the senior/manager/partner or whatever graduated from unsw/usyd "many have" and values prestige, yes they will think specific unis are shit, and you will then have to outdo the other applicants. understand there will be people like this, however the reverse is not true, this senior/manager/partner will not think unsw/usyd is shit.

pretty much my train of thought,

how many law grads have there been in the past years, where did they come from?

of these law grads how many usyd/unsw ones are successful & have gotten promoted over the years?

what are the odds that THEY will value prestige and be biased?

OP if you made a G8, attend it, take an extra hour everyday, many many many people do this

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
my 2c, i think prestige does influence things

OP, your peers and many youths of sydney go well out of their way to attend unsw/usyd, and this has been the case for decades.
I have never heard of anyone go out of their way to attend a non G8, if they have made the course everywhere.

whether you think "employers" value prestige, is pretty situational. firstly if the senior/manager/partner or whatever graduated from unsw/usyd "many have" and values prestige, yes they will think specific unis are shit, and you will then have to outdo the other applicants. understand there will be people like this, however the reverse is not true, this senior/manager/partner will not think unsw/usyd is shit.

pretty much my train of thought,

how many law grads have there been in the past years, where did they come from?

of these law grads how many usyd/unsw ones are successful & have gotten promoted over the years?

what are the odds that THEY will value prestige and be biased?

OP if you made a G8, attend it, take an extra hour everyday, many many many people do this
I think this is the most realistic piece of advice offered thus far in this thread.

OP, to completely disregard the notion that prestige places a part in Job prospects would be doing yourself a great injustice and be naive. However as hungewelll337 has already mentioned it is very situational. Not only does it depend on who the person interviewing/employing/promoting you is and which uni they come from but it also depends on the type of places you are applying for. If you are aiming for mid-top tier firms when you graduate then even graduating from a Go8 won't strictly speaking be enough, you'll need more. It may just get the person reviewing your CV to keep reading, but if your marks are sub-par (typically below a credit average), then you're going to be in a bit of trouble.

I go to a non-Go8 universities (Macquarie) and I think the key to it is this: As long as you have solid marks and some good/diverse extra-curriculars then you should be pretty competitive.

Even the worst firm won't want to employ someone who went to a Go8 with a pass average... Keep this in mind. Just because someone went to a Go8 it does not mean that they automatically have it over everyone else. They may have a head start, again, this is dependant on where they want to work, but that is it. A few years, and a few promotions later, the university you graduated from won't even count.

So my advice is this: While it is important to be aware that this sort of thing is real (unfortunately), it is also important to try and forget about this Go8/non-Go8 business - its vile and crude. if you didn't get into a Go8 then concentrate as much as you can at the institution you did get into, work your ass off, and get some solid marks. Participate in extracurriculars, be sociable and make the most of it. Having done all that, and achieved, you will excel and there shouldn't be any reason a prospective employer wouldn't hire you.

Alternatively, if it bothers you that much you can spend the first year or so trying to transfer out.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Prestige is pretty much the LAST resort to differentiating potential employees.

If you rely on prestige to get ahead in the job market, you're pretty much doing everything wrong. This doesn't just apply to just Law but all positions which required a Bachelors.

So yes, it matters if you are a student who tries to get by university by doing the least and is chronically lazy.
Generally speaking ^this^, especially whats in bold. Some employers look at prestige more closely than others, whilst many ignore it all together. I've spoken to the lawyer in charge of graduate recruitment at a top law firm and she told me flat out that they dont look at prestige at all when hiring. She said that they focus on uni marks, extra ciriculars, work experience and especially personality. Overall, I'd say that a person who has these four attributes will find it very easy to find a job, regardless of whether they went to Usyd or UWS.

Also, many are under the misconception that uni prestige matters due to the weight it is given in the US. The US have a vastly different tertiary education system, where getting into a university requires much more than simply an arbitrary mark like the Australian system, which accounts for why employers in the US focus more on prestige.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Generally speaking ^this^, especially whats in bold. Some employers look at prestige more closely than others, whilst many ignore it all together. I've spoken to the lawyer in charge of graduate recruitment at a top law firm and she told me flat out that they dont look at prestige at all when hiring. She said that they focus on uni marks, extra ciriculars, work experience and especially personality. Overall, I'd say that a person who has these four attributes will find it very easy to find a job, regardless of whether they went to Usyd or UWS.

Also, many are under the misconception that uni prestige matters due to the weight it is given in the US. The US have a vastly different tertiary education system, where getting into a university requires much more than simply an arbitrary mark like the Australian system, which accounts for why employers in the US focus more on prestige.
I agree, for the most part. Especially about the US thing. But just because one firm doesn't discriminate it doesn't mean other top firms share the same practice.

enoilgam

HSC
But just because one firm doesn't discriminate it doesn't mean other top firms share the same practice.
Agreed, I just added that part to dispell the myth that top tier firms only accept Go8 candidates.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, does it really matter which uni you to study law? For job prospect reasons?
Do employers look highly upon uni graduates from unsw, usyd, anu or melbourne? Or will they look the same upon uni graduates from uts, maq, notre dame...
Considering that everything else is the same, e.g. marks, attitude and knowledge

PLEASE HELP
OP mentioned that marks, attitude and knowledge are a constant. If this was true, then ask yourself would an employer hire from USYD or UWS?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, David Gonski was former UNSW Law medalist and worked* at Freehills. Now he is the Chancellor of UNSW, go figure.

Edit: Youngest Partner at Freehills

Last edited:

MW4521

HSC
N/A
thanks guys for your inputs, really appreciate it!
To get into more detail of why I started this thread was because I am preparing to do a B Commerce/Law at X university. Then hopefully land a job at a bank (macquarie bank to be more specific). So will it still matter what uni I go to even if its for a bank?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
GPA is much more important than the uni, but if you have the choice of going to usyd or unsw, do so. UNSW would be the best option as they have a very good business school

MW4521

HSC
N/A
so, if I don't get the ATAR for unsw or usyd, and something around 97....should I be looking towards anu (go8 uni + moving out of home) or uts and macq (non go8 + staying home)?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so, if I don't get the ATAR for unsw or usyd, and something around 97....should I be looking towards anu (go8 uni + moving out of home) or uts and macq (non go8 + staying home)?
Stay in Sydney unless you want to have a college-esque lifestyle.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a family friend that works at Michael Page International as head recruitment officer - for those who don't know its one of the biggest, leading recruitment companies in the world.

Time and time again he says PRESTIGE is irrelevant. They don't go hmm a Usyd graduate ... Very nice hi5! :awesome:

They solely look a qualifications - the standard degree and more importantly your GPA.

I guess what peeps are saying is that more than likely if you attend a G8 uni you will have a good GPA reminder that this is probably a small, minute thought your future employer may possibly hold in the back of their conscience.

In all honesty this thread is a bit of a joke. Are you 12? :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)