does love exist. (1 Viewer)

HalcyonSky

HSC
scaredytiger said:
but the ways in which it is selective is not logical.
there's genetic reasons behind why we're attracted to the people that we are

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scaredytiger said:
but the ways in which it is selective is not logical.
It is if you consider that you evolved for a completely different life to the one you live now. You're selectively altruistic/caring for people who you get close to... You're also creative so you are creative with how you express your altruistic feelings.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
As for peer review papers, it's not hard to go into the evolutionary reasons as to why we would evolve a need for companionship with others and then as we become conscious need something to explain this desire. Nor is it difficult to point to the chemical reactions that occur in the brains of people who are in love.
Enteebee said:
Why is there no logical reason? It makes perfectly logical sense for a creature to evolve a sense of a desire for companionship, a desire to be a part of something 'special' and greater than themselves and then in desiring this to come up with all sorts of creative ways to try to express this.
this is assuming that love actually exists.

Enteebee said:
It's not like it's something we can choose to reject really because it's incredibly built into us genetically to care for one another for instance.
** btw im talking about romantic love.

Rebekkie said:
love exists. i just haven't found it. (cue awwww)

edit: because i have a heart of steel
lol. :shy:

HalcyonSky said:
there's genetic reasons behind why we're attracted to the people that we are
peer paper review. or gtfo.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
this is assuming that love actually exists.
Well, it does... in the terms which I have described. It exists in terms of something we have constructed, which is imaginary in the same sense that looking at a painting and concluding it has a meaning (i.e. It illustrates fear or hatred or something) is completely constructed but every bit real to the person whom accepts the construction. However I think it's important to note that such a construction is heavily informed by far more basic and biological desires such as altruism and lust.

HSC
Enteebee said:
It is if you consider that you evolved for a completely different life to the one you live now. You're selectively altruistic/caring for people who you get close to... You're also creative so you are creative with how you express your altruistic feelings.
i understand where you are coming from, but i think theres more of a resonance between two individuals, than just "caring for people you get close to".

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
i understand where you are coming from, but i think theres more of a resonance between two individuals, than just "caring for people you get close to".
Do you believe there's a biological/genetic/socially constructed explanation for love? If you don't then I'll continue arguing with you but if you do then I don't really care too much how exactly you believe it comes about. I find the terminology of for instance me saying "caring for people you get close to" can often be offputting to people in a debate about "what is love?" (lol), however even if something seems to have particularly amazing/special importance you have to realise that this is actually your brain's doing.

There are people for instance who have seizures which end up leaving them feeling for a short period of time that everything in the universe, including individual grains of sand, are incredibly important and beautiful and lovely.

Last edited:

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
it definitely does exist, and more often than not it can be a terrible burden. i never thought i was capable of love, but now i know i am, and it's kind of awful because you actually care about another person. selflessness is rough on the soul.
if i were you, i'd stick to a life without love. :p

HalcyonSky

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
peer paper review. or gtfo.
if you dispute the existence of love, does that mean you dispute the existence of gods love?

HSC
Enteebee said:
Do you believe there's a biological/genetic/socially constructed explanation for love? If you don't then I'll continue arguing with you but if you do then I don't really care too much how exactly it comes about.
i dont think im knowledgable enough in the areas of biology or sociology to give an informed opinion.

chances are it is a biological impulse or social construct. but that should validate it, rather than negate it.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
Well, it does... in the terms which I have described. It exists in terms of something we have constructed, which is imaginary in the same sense that looking at a painting and concluding it has a meaning (i.e. It illustrates fear or hatred or something) is completely constructed but every bit real to the person whom accepts the construction. However I think it's important to note that such a construction is heavily informed by far more basic and biological desires such as altruism and lust.
imaginary means that it exists now.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scaredytiger said:
i dont think im knowledgable enough in the areas of biology or sociology to give an informed opinion.

chances are it is a biological impulse or social construct. but that should validate it, rather than negate it.
btw I added
"I find the terminology of for instance me saying "caring for people you get close to" can often be offputting to people in a debate about "what is love?" (lol), however even if something seems to have particularly amazing/special importance you have to realise that this is actually your brain's doing.

There are people for instance who have seizures which end up leaving them feeling for a short period of time that everything in the universe, including individual grains of sand, are incredibly important and beautiful and lovely."
:eek:

But yeah, if that's what you think then we actually exactly agree. I love love, I think it's one of the most beautiful things we people have and it is every bit as special and amazing as anything else there is... but I also think we need to be realistic about where such feelings come from and not let poetic explanations of our feelings take over our logical assessment of what it really is.

melanieeeee. said:
imaginary means that it exists now.
Yes sure. If you want to accept God as a construct of the human mind which you choose to go along with then I have absolutely no problem with you.

Last edited:
HSC
Enteebee said:
But yeah, if that's what you think then we actually exactly agree. I love love, I think it's one of the most beautiful things we people have and it is every bit as special and amazing as anything else there is... but I also think we need to be realistic about where such feelings come from and not let poetic explanations of our feelings take over our logical assessment of what it really is.
ive seen enough heartache from kind people being taken advantage of, to be pretty cynical. obsession and love only differ in society's view of the feeling's validity regarding circumstance. anyone can see that.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Love is real because it is something that one feels

Ergo it must exists

We all know it is there when we feel it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
DownInFlames said:
I hear people walking around in my house when there's no-one there.
But love's not something that has to 'be there' to exist. The people walking around your house might not exist, but your feeling that they did definitely does.

ASNSWR127

HSC
DownInFlames said:
I hear people walking around in my house when there's no-one there.
That is a psychological condition that also "exists" lol

maybe love is just the best psychological condition? That is to an extent comforting...

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
Love is real because it is something that one feels

Ergo it must exists

We all know it is there when we feel it.
sorry if you read my first post i do not 'feel' anything.
its just like with my god for example. i feel a spiritual connection to him. others dont. how can i go telling people that he exists when they do not have that spiritual connection.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
sorry if you read my first post i do not 'feel' anything.
its just like with my god for example. i feel a spiritual connection to him. others dont. how can i go telling people that he exists when they do not have that spiritual connection.
You can tell me that you 'feel' a spiritual connection and I will probably believe you, but that doesn't mean there's anything there anymore than a feeling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)