Does more units=higher UAI. ?? (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Discuss...
If you have 10 units, there's less stress on you. There's pros and cons of both.

santaslayer

HSC
webby234 said:
While there is generally a high corrolation between a high number of units and a high UAI, this would probably be mostly based on the fact that the people who get top marks are likely to be more interested in their subjects, and some will be accelerated, giving them more time to study more subjects. If you were thinking only about your UAI when considering what to do, then probably 12 would be the ideal number, especially if you could do two units accelerated. However, I would consider it more important to gain knowledge - the UAI is not the most important thing in year 12. School is supposed to be about education, not simply doing well in exams.
You are educated if you gain a high UAI, other factors aside. The AI is definatly the most important thing in year 12 if you plan to go to university and your course requires a sexy UAI. Everyone is different. The UAI is important for some and not to others.

I think the least units you do, the better. (10)

That leaves you, ceteris paribus, to go through your 10 units thoroughly withoput having to waste time on unecessary subjects. This is assuming that these 10 units are your best units already and that nothing unfortuntate happened in your exams.

Realisticly, I would prefer 12 units. That leaves me with a degree of error without causing too much problems. That's exactly what I did when i did my HSC and it proved to be very very helpful.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Realisticly, I would prefer 12 units. That leaves me with a degree of error without causing too much problems. That's exactly what I did when i did my HSC and it proved to be very very helpful.
That's my reasoning. Yes, it'd be nice to have the extra time with 10 units, but then I'm vulnerable to pretty much anything come the exams. If I have a bad day, get a headache, have to work in 40 degree heat, or anything else, it'll directly impact my final results. It's more work to keep 12, but it's a nice safety blanket if you can.

I_F

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
More units doesn't necessarily mean a higher UAI. People who do 10 units can get 100 UAI, same with those who do 12 units. People would choose to do 12 units because they want a safety-net that would help them if they stuff up in one of the exams for one of their subjects, but it is very possible to get a high UAI as long as you do 10+ units, and do well in them.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Doing more than 10 units doesn't "guarantee" a higher UAI, but it does mean your chances of getting a good UAI is more reliable, since the extra units acts like a safety net if you stuff up a subject. You could also consider it as picking your best 10 units out of 12, instead of everything you do counting (for 10 units they all count of course), meaning you get that extra edge on your UAI from your lowest scoring subjects.

JoeMK

HSC
I do 11 units, gives me a LITTLE margin for error. But the reason i didn't take 12units is because i know that english is going to be my poorest performance, and it will count no matter what...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also did 11 units. There is no reason why you can't get a higher UAI with less units- it just means you don't have the buffer which allows you to screw up.

Since someone else has already used economic terms, why don't you evalute the marginal benefits and the marginal costs? Is it going to cost you a lot of effort if you have to study an additional subject? AND is it likely that this additional subject will be useful in contributing to your UAI?

For me, the choice to drop from 13 to 11 was an easy one- my final subject, Legal Studies, even with me working my ass off could only get around 80-90% (below all my other subs except maths3u) so I dropped it.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
yep, 10 units gave me time to really concentrate on my subjects. But since I did 4 one-unit subjects, I still had a lot of subjects, although they were supposed to require less work.

It depends on the student. If you easily get bogged down and overwhelmed, then 10 units is probably for you. If you like to keep busy, and really like all your subjects, then there isn't any need to drop.

However, I've seen many occasions where people doing 12 units just give up on 2 of them because they know they won't count. That seems like a waste of effort.

P

pLuvia

Doing more than 10 units means you have either 1, 2, 3 etc units as backup if you screw up one subject. Having more units may put more pressure on you, depending on how you work. So it really comes down to the actual student.

Lexie1001

HSC
i think its up to how hard you work - it's a personal decision. some people with 10 units will waste all their frees while other might work really hard and end up doing great.
but if you want statistics, take a look at table a7 (i think) on the uac website. it has a list of uais between 66-100 and the percentage of people who did 10 units, 11, 12 and so on. interestingly, no one with a uai of 100 did 10 units and the amount of people on 10 units increased as the uai decreased.
have a look for yourself....i cant find the link to it right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)