Does Music course 1 scale me down? (1 Viewer)

comfortable

HSC
my school also didnt offer music 2, but i dont think that it scales 'down' as such...i did music 1 in yr 11 and i dropped it becoz i think if u do music 1 u have to be very good to get a good mark, because theres alot of competition out there

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i'm not sure (Laz would be the expert on this matter) but from what i understand, Music 1 is seen to be the more modern course, and the candiature is larger (about 4500 compared with a candiature of a little over 300 for Music 2) and therefore the competition is greater. Due to the fact that you don't need to read a note to do Music 1 either, you get a few dropkicks doing it which therefore lowers the calibre of the candiature.

Therefore, its not so much a matter of it being capped but when the Board looks at the subjects a Music 1 student is likely to take (generalising here, but say General Maths, Standard English etc.) they then don't view Music 1 in the same light as Music 2 or Extension and therefore, yes are likely to not scale it as well as Music 2. However, saying that, if a student does very well in Music 1 it is just as possible/probable he will do as well as a Music 2 student did.

BTW. don't beat yourself up about the fact your school didn't offter Music 2. Its a really hard course, melody dictations involve writing violin parts out from ear etc etc. :s (I do Ext.)

Laz would really be the person to explain properly but thats my understanding of the situation with the two music courses...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You can look at the 2003 scaled means for Music 1 and 2.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

Although the difference in scaled means is actually quite large (Music 1 scaling more lower), as ujuphleg said, if a student does well in Music 1, he/she could do just as well as a Music 2 student.

mack

Banned
HSC
Isnt it possible to do it by correspondence? Because if you pursue music passionately extension should be no problem for you.

barrel_roll

Harmonic Dissonance
HSC
Well, i do 7th grade AMEB piano, but i guess that's not very important, as there is a lot of competition. Also i hate the aural responses i have to give.... Should i drop the subject even though i am ranked first, considering there is only 12 people doing music? I think i'm doing "okay" in other subjects as well. (3unit maths and english, chemistry (ranked 2nd), economics (ranked 2nd))

N.B I go to a crap school....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)