Does one 'bad' scaling subject affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Pepin

HSC
All my subjects are high in scaling, except one.
Will this affect my ATAR greatly or not.
Explain pl0x : D

Gigacube

HSC
If you can get a high enough mark in your low scaling subject it may not affect your ATAR. It also depends on what mark it scales down to for it to affect your ATAR a lot.

What are the subjects that you are doing? We need to know so we can tell you more and some people may mistake certain subjects as high or low scaling when they are not.

Last edited:

Pepin

HSC
If you can get a high enough mark in your low scaling subject it may not affect your ATAR. It also depends on what mark it scales down to for it to affect your ATAR a lot.

What are the subjects that you are doing?
Aw, can you tell me how scaling works D':
My teacher told me that 'there is no such thing as scaling'.

Gigacube

HSC
Aw, can you tell me how scaling works D':
My teacher told me that 'there is no such thing as scaling'.
I haven't really understood how scaling works but hopefully Sly or Spi or another person will be able to answer. There is such thing as scaling but I think it's based on your school ranks (internals).

So what subjects are you doing?

Pepin

HSC
I haven't really understood how scaling works but hopefully Sly or Spi or another person will be able to answer. There is such thing as scaling but I think it's based on your school ranks (internals).

So what subjects are you doing?
Ad. English
Ancient History
Biology
Chemistry
Extension 1 Math
Physics

I heard scaling only affects those 'within' the class of a subject, but I'm not quite sure.

Gigacube

HSC
Ad. English
Ancient History
Biology
Chemistry
Extension 1 Math
Physics

I heard scaling only affects those 'within' the class of a subject, but I'm not quite sure.
You can drop that in year 12 as you only are required to have 10 units minimum unless you've accelerated. That way you won't have to worry about ancient history dragging you down. Only the 10 best units including English count in your ATAR calculation.

Pepin

HSC
You can drop that in year 12 as you only are required to have 10 units minimum unless you've accelerated. That way you won't have to worry about ancient history dragging you down. Only the 10 best units including English count in your ATAR calculation.
I don't really like dropping subjects... But if i don't do so well in Ancient, it wouldn't be counted towards my ATAR?

Gigacube

HSC
I don't really like dropping subjects... But if i don't do so well in Ancient, it wouldn't be counted towards my ATAR?
13 Units is considered a lot to bring into HSC year. If you don't do well in Ancient it won't count so there's really no point unless you are sure that you can get above 95 to be safe.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't really consider Ancient History to have bad scaling, it's medium/moderate/okay. I consider bad scaling to be like Senior Science, General Maths, Aboriginal Studies and Dance.
You can achieve a good ATAR with any subject combination-the highest two ATARs ever at my school were both someone who did no maths or sciences.

Gigacube

HSC

jnney

lemon
HSC
scalling is well..that depends on how well the students at your school do. but if you ace and come out on top, you'll be fine. duh :)

Existential

HSC
N/A
most hsc hsie subjects (with the excepetion of aboriginal studies) don't scale that badly. generally speaking, they're medium scaling subjects (with of course some variation between them).

joshdm

HSC
i did extensive research on scaling last year, but i'll just give you a quick comparison
(based on 2009 scaling reports) To get a scaled mark of 44.7 per unit, which is approximately what you need for an atar equivalent of exactly 99, you would need hsc marks of:
ancient history:96
chemistry: 92.7
physics: 93.1
bio: 94
3u maths: 89.9
sorry i couldnt be bothered to check others, but hope this helps or gives you an idea.
What school do you go to? im very surprised at your teacher's statement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)