Does one 'bad' scaling subject affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Regardless which subject you do It wont affect your ATAR

With low scaling subjects all you need to do is a little better , which is easy because low scaling subjects are always easier than high scaling subjects

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Regardless which subject you do It wont affect your ATAR

With low scaling subjects all you need to do is a little better , which is easy because low scaling subjects are always easier than high scaling subjects
That is a very subjective statement to make.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
That is a very subjective statement to make.
But it is quite true, if you get say 80 in 4U maths and 80 in dance, the 80 in 4U will be much more better because of scaling. Therefore if you want to equal that mark in the low scalling subject, in this example dance, you need to do much better to equal that of the scaled mark of 4U maths

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Um, I say it's subjective because I would find Dance much more difficult than 4U Maths.

I know about scaling herp derp, I only say you can't judge the difficulty of a subject because it's different for everyone.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Um, I say it's subjective because I would find Dance much more difficult than 4U Maths.

I know about scaling herp derp, I only say you can't judge the difficulty of a subject because it's different for everyone.
Yeah i thought that but accordingly to the Board of Studies Dance is much easier

I could do 4U maths a billion times better than dance, dance is impossible for me

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yeah i thought that but accordingly to the Board of Studies Dance is much easier

I could do 4U maths a billion times better than dance, dance is impossible for me
Um no. Scaling does not determine difficulty of a subject.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Scaling is indicative of the calibre of students attempting that course.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
So you're saying people doing 4U are stupid.

I personally think it's important to be aware of the scaling process but not fret over it since it's not something you can affect.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
So you're saying people doing 4U are stupid.

I personally think it's important to be aware of the scaling process but not fret over it since it's not something you can affect.
I am aware of the scaling processs, and no 4U are much smater than dance students who don't take maths

I am aware that in Most cases harder subjects, which is determined how many people did well/bad in it get scalled better

b33g_boss

HSC
i feel as if j-uhrig is being ripped by slyhunter on terms of how the scaling process works >.>

lol.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
May I add, it depends on the candidature not the subject itself.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I know table A3, and I still consider Ancient to have okay scaling. I would never consider it bad.

It most likely has the scaling it has because it has quite a large candiditre and normally bigger subjects don't have good scaling due to the average level of the canditure.

OP's subjects could get a score of 99.95 if she so choose. But if Ancient is not one of her best subjects, she should probably drop it. But if she's getting 90 in it, and 80 in her other subjects she'd be wise to keep Ancient irregardless of scaling (because she's good at it). But if she's getting 90 in everything, she should probably drop it if she wanted because all her other subjects will scale better.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I've seen people get 99.95 with General maths so relax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)