Does PSY104 have in-lecture tests? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I asked this question in Human Science already but it seems more people go to this side of forum. Yeah again still doing my timetable.

HSC
http://www.psy.mq.edu.au/units/u_outline/PSY104outline.pdf

So my guess would be no.

If you're still not satisfied why not call one of the coordinators and ask?
yeah i looked at before that i just wanted to check with students who did it already. I called the department and they were like 'oh yeah there are tests' and i said so should i register into night classes since all day classes are full and he said 'no'. Then i asked him, do you know whats happening and he said no. So quite frustrating.

But thanks for that! =)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Wow, the assessment are very different to when I did it.

Just attend the lectures regardless and ask them in the first week. If there is a test it wont be on until at least week 4, so there will be plenty of time for them to fix it (I put the emphasise on THEM fixing it, because if your in a psych degree you shouldn't have to waste your time and worry about registering in something that you should be automatically enrolled in - i.e. a lecture).

It is likely they are still working on the larger-than-expected enrolment and have overlooked increasing the lecture number. But they will make room for you (they would have to, I assume).

EDIT: I will, however, email the PSY104 Convenor tonight for you (I know her) to confirm, as it sounds like this is causing a lot of stress for you!

Last edited:
HSC
Wow, the assessment are very different to when I did it.

Just attend the lectures regardless and ask them in the first week. If there is a test it wont be on until at least week 4, so there will be plenty of time for them to fix it (I put the emphasise on THEM fixing it, because if your in a psych degree you shouldn't have to waste your time and worry about registering in something that you should be automatically enrolled in - i.e. a lecture).

It is likely they are still working on the larger-than-expected enrolment and have overlooked increasing the lecture number. But they will make room for you (they would have to, I assume).

EDIT: I will, however, email the PSY104 Convenor tonight for you (I know her) to confirm, as it sounds like this is causing a lot of stress for you!
omg thank you so much! I have been stressing out because people told me to go to the lecture anyway which made sense but i was worried there would be an in-lecture test (partially because i haven't left the hsc mode of life yet)

Again thanks heaps! =D

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I just looked at the PSY104 timetable and to my surprise there is actually 2 options for lectures now :/ (In the past they just had the 'seminar' option for night students, which was basically a prac with the requirement that you listen to the lecture online). Having more than one option for each lecture is unheard of in psychology. Consequently, there is probably no point in me emailing the unit convenor as I can guess what the answer will be (i.e. that you will need to enrol in the night lecture if the day lecture is full).

Ok, here is what I suggest. You enrol in a night lecture for now, as it is the only thing available (at least then you will be enrolled in something before uni starts). But you go to the day lecture next week and you see the lecturer about the possibility of swapping. Chances are the lecturer will tell you to just keep your enrolment in the night lecture but attend the day lectures. From the assessments it doesn't look like there would be an in-lecture test, and if there is you will find out next week when you attend the day lecture.

I hope that helps. But basically, you really don't need to stress out too much about this, trust me. shuffling lectures/tuts is very common in the first week and a bit of uni.

HSC
I just looked at the PSY104 timetable and to my surprise there is actually 2 options for lectures now :/ (In the past they just had the 'seminar' option for night students, which was basically a prac with the requirement that you listen to the lecture online). Having more than one option for each lecture is unheard of in psychology. Consequently, there is probably no point in me emailing the unit convenor as I can guess what the answer will be (i.e. that you will need to enrol in the night lecture if the day lecture is full).

Ok, here is what I suggest. You enrol in a night lecture for now, as it is the only thing available (at least then you will be enrolled in something before uni starts). But you go to the day lecture next week and you see the lecturer about the possibility of swapping. Chances are the lecturer will tell you to just keep your enrolment in the night lecture but attend the day lectures. From the assessments it doesn't look like there would be an in-lecture test, and if there is you will find out next week when you attend the day lecture.

I hope that helps. But basically, you really don't need to stress out too much about this, trust me. shuffling lectures/tuts is very common in the first week and a bit of uni.
Oh all right I did that, i'll try to chill somehow. I was excited about but i think i'm starting to be overwhelmed by the schedule, tests and new environment Thanks for the advice! Btw are psy104 lectures are hard like say if i don't go to the lecture and listen to them online would be still ok?

Also when you did it, did you have in-class lectures like are they common?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Oh all right I did that, i'll try to chill somehow. I was excited about but i think i'm starting to be overwhelmed by the schedule, tests and new environment Thanks for the advice! Btw are psy104 lectures are hard like say if i don't go to the lecture and listen to them online would be still ok?

Also when you did it, did you have in-class lectures like are they common?
Psy104/105 lectures are not hard and you could get away with listening to them online. It is just a lot of general content that is covered.

i'm not sure what you mean by in-class lectures? Do you mean pracs? if so, the content covered in the pracs are the same.

First few weeks of uni is definitely overwhelming :)

HSC
Psy104/105 lectures are not hard and you could get away with listening to them online. It is just a lot of general content that is covered.

i'm not sure what you mean by in-class lectures? Do you mean pracs? if so, the content covered in the pracs are the same.
oh sorry i meant tests, in-class lecture tests! =P Like i heard in mktg 101 they have in-class tests. I think something like multiple choices.

Thanks for the advice!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
oh sorry i meant tests, in-class lecture tests! =P Like i heard in mktg 101 they have in-class tests. I think something like multiple choices.

Thanks for the advice!
I didn't have any in-lecture tests in first year. In the later years I did though.

If a psych unit has a 'midsemester exam' (which it seems PSY104 doesn't) then that usually means an exam during the lecture.

BTW: If worst comes to worst - if there is a in-lecture exam and you are enrolled in a night class, you could simply just go to the night lecture on the week the test is on, but go to the day lectures every other week? You could ask the lecturer if that is a possibility.

xsavagex

HSC
I talked to a lady from the psych department and asked her the same question coz i sometiems work at 6 so cant make those classes. She said to register in them so that i'm registered in something! But to just go to the morning ones. Or listen online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)