Does Rank 1 always take other's higher marks during the HSC (1 Viewer)

Enhypen

HSC
I was wondering if rank 2 gets the highest for a HSC examination, can rank 1 steal their mark, even if they are essentially apart by about 1 percent in school marks?

For example, my overall for Maths Standard was a mark of 85 percent and I am rank 2, whilst the percent rank 1 has an overall mark of 86 percent. We are only apart by 1 percent in terms of our rank, but say in the HSC I get the highest which is like a 90% and the rank 1 gets lower than me significantly, like a 82%, will that rank 1 end up still taking my mark? I'm really worried because I feel like I performed well in my Maths Standard exam, but I was talking to the rank 1 and she said she feels like she flunked it and she said she gets to take the mark of the highest person anyway.

My teachers are pretty useless and can't explain this concept properly, everyone says different things. One teacher says that rank 1 will still take my mark, but another teacher said that if rank 1 and 2 don't have much of a difference in terms of overall mark then rank 1 cannot take rank 2's mark even if rank 2 gets higher than them in the HSC.

Help?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You are referring to the moderation process. NESA uses students' ranks in their respective subjects in addition to Examination Marks (HSC exam marks) in order to determine students' Assessment Marks (the Assessment Mark is the mark that reflects a student's internal performance in a particular subject and contributes 50% of the student's final HSC mark).

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort. This means that the student ranked first will receive the highest HSC exam mark as her Assessment Mark. In your case, if you achieve 90 in your Mathematics Standard HSC exam, and provided that ends up being the highest HSC exam mark achieved in your cohort, the student ranked first will receive this mark as her Assessment Mark. However, this does not mean that she would be stealing your mark. Your HSC exam mark remains, i.e. you still receive 90 as your HSC exam mark.

Being ranked second means that your Assessment Mark will be similar to the second-highest Examination Mark achieved in your cohort. Here, it is important to note that your Examination Mark itself is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort. Your own performance in your Mathematics Standard HSC exam will be the primary factor in determining your Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! :D

Enhypen

HSC
You are referring to the moderation process. NESA uses students' ranks in their respective subjects in addition to Examination Marks (HSC exam marks) in order to determine students' Assessment Marks (the Assessment Mark is the mark that reflects a student's internal performance in a particular subject and contributes 50% of the student's final HSC mark).

Essentially, the highest Assessment Mark is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the cohort. This means that the student ranked first will receive the highest HSC exam mark as her Assessment Mark. In your case, if you achieve 90 in your Mathematics Standard HSC exam, and provided that ends up being the highest HSC exam mark achieved in your cohort, the student ranked first will receive this mark as her Assessment Mark. However, this does not mean that she would be stealing your mark. Your HSC exam mark remains, i.e. you still receive 90 as your HSC exam mark.

Being ranked second means that your Assessment Mark will be similar to the second-highest Examination Mark achieved in your cohort. Here, it is important to note that your Examination Mark itself is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort. Your own performance in your Mathematics Standard HSC exam will be the primary factor in determining your Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! :D
Yes, this helps so much and puts my mind at ease, thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)