Does Rank Matter ? (1 Viewer)

twistedrebel

HSC
I know a girl from Hornsby Girl who came close to dead last in everything save 1 subject, and still ended up getting 95+ ATAR. So don't make random assumptions about cohort effect being nonexistent. And crap about schools - have you actually even talked to people from Ruse? Or other selective schools? Do you even know what the ATAR average is there?
wow dude, relax you think you went to a selective school so you are better than the rest of the non-selective kids. Cant wait until University and you get your ass handed to you by non-selective kids.

jasonn

HSC
What I'm saying is that if the school assessment marks are: 80, 59, 58, and the HSC marks are 95, 93, 91 - Person A gets 95, Person B will probably get around 80 something, but not 93.

WOW. That is the worst example to give and it couldnt be more wrong, as first of all, assuming there are only 3 students in this cohort, the assessment marks and exam marks (assuming you got hsc marks and exam marks mixed up) dont match at all and are impossible to achieve, since the assessment marks of the students WILL correlate directly to the exam marks, that is, their assessment mark will be 95, 93, 91, but the allocation of these marks to which student will be entirely dependent on ranks... from there, the assessment mark and exam mark are averaged to give your hsc marks

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
WOW. That is the worst example to give and it couldnt be more wrong, as first of all, assuming there are only 3 students in this cohort, the assessment marks and exam marks (assuming you got hsc marks and exam marks mixed up) dont match at all and are impossible to achieve, since the assessment marks of the students WILL correlate directly to the exam marks, that is, their assessment mark will be 95, 93, 91, but the allocation of these marks to which student will be entirely dependent on ranks... from there, the assessment mark and exam mark are averaged to give your hsc marks
You are wrong.

Quiet child.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What? This doesn't even make sense, and obviously you're mistaken if you don't think your cohort has any input.
I said that it can affect your by giving you motivation etc etc, but officially it does not at all. The moderating and aligning process serves to remove/minimise the effect on your cohort so that you get the closest mark possible to the mark you deserve.

Selective schools give a good boost of pressure, so I think it does matter. And kids getting higher than 99 at a normal school? It's because they get ranked 1st across the board, or close to it. If you got to selective school like Ruse, You can rank in the Top 10 across the board and still get 99+
Wow i can't believe a selective kid like you doesn't get it - it's just another reason why i didn't go to one =='
Anywho, the kids getting ranked "1st across the board" in a normal only do so as that's the rank required to be 99+ standard with the rest of the state. That is also why if you go to a "selective school like Ruse, you can rank in the Top 10 across the board and still get 99+" as Ruse' cohort is of a higher calibre than every other school in the state, meaning you don't need such a high rank to be 99+ standard when compared to the entire state. Did i explain that clearly enough for you or must i give more examples until such a knowledgable person as yourself is able to comprehend what i am saying?

I know a girl from Hornsby Girl who came close to dead last in everything save 1 subject, and still ended up getting 95+ ATAR. So don't make random assumptions about cohort effect being nonexistent. And crap about schools - have you actually even talked to people from Ruse? Or other selective schools? Do you even know what the ATAR average is there?
I didn't say it was non-existent. I said that going to a selective school doesn't mean you're smarter than someone who doesn't. I know what the average ATAR is there - but that's because the have smart kids there in the first place. If you threw a person who had an IQ of 50 into Hornsby Girls' High School that doesn't mean they'll automatically get an ATAR of 95+. Your mark is determined by a mixture of your intelligence, hard work and luck.

Oh and i know quite a few people who came not even last at James Ruse and got ATARs <90 :)

Are you confusing this with scaling? Subject ranks do matter. Obviously... then why the hell don't people just fail all their subjects if their rank don't mean shit?
No, i'm not confusing it with scaling. Lots of people say that their "school ranks" brought their marks down or "their school dragged them down". IMO that's their own fault for being lazy throughout the year and not getting the marks/ranks they should have gotten.

So you're saying coming 2nd in a subject but being 10 marks away from 1st is better than being 4th in a subject and 1 mark away from 1st? The school HSC exam marks are moderated based on the mark gaps between the students in the school and the cohort's performance in the school. That's why people try and do as well as they can mark wise so they can get a higher rank.

I came 2nd in several subjects, but my school HSC mark was exactly the same as the person who came first as they difference between our marks was negligible. Your school also sends the Board of Studes marks, not ranks after the end of yr 12. So as i said before, ranks are an easy way of estimating your performance within the school, but mark gaps are actually more important.

Get off your high horse and go do research.
You obviously haven't been around long at all. You should get off your high horse and do more research on how the HSC/ATAR system works.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Research my friend, research.

HSC
wow dude, relax you think you went to a selective school so you are better than the rest of the non-selective kids. Cant wait until University and you get your ass handed to you by non-selective kids.
You're a complete douchebag you know that? When have I ever said I was better than another person on here because I went to a selective school? All I've said was that schools like Ruse and Hornsby Girls get excellent results, which is hardly being egotistical as:

1. I don't even go to either of those schools, and
2. The results published in the newspaper speak of themselves.

And you're the jerk saying that I didn't put effort in, and the fact that I came 4th was shit.

You can whinge and bitch about Ruse all you want, but only those who aren't jealous know that students there ARE indeed, generally, much better.

And I can't believe you would even say I thought I was better than other people...yes I went to a selective school, but I also come from a working class background, so I had to work my ass off to compete with kids who could afford texts books/the latest comps/software.

You have this stupid, stereotypical stuck up image of selective kids as being snobbish, when in fact, they can be working as hard, or even much more harder than you. So stop bitching about people from those schools, it's not their fault their schools generally performs better. I dislike people who go "Oh, what's the point of going to a selective school" as if they think they're so much better than it, when in fact they're probably only jealous of the people there. No-one ever bitches about how public school sucks, so stop bitching about selective schools and being a gronk.

Wow i can't believe a selective kid like you doesn't get it - it's just another reason why i didn't go to one =='
^ Here's another great example

I agree.

Research my friend, research.
Seriously, I can't be bothered with you. Believe what you want, but don't go telling other people they're wrong and try to instill what you know in them. No-one's explanations are of lesser value than your own, so unless you can pull out an information sheet from the Department of Education explaining how your hypothesis is the valid, then stop making it sound like you know everything. You don't have a thing to back up what you say, so don't go telling people shit unless you can vouch for it.

Hence, there isn't any point for me to post beyond this point. I'm sure students can pick and choose whatever they want.

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
No matter what school you go to, you still have to put in heaps of effort to achieve a high ATAR.

But taintedfeather is right on one thing, people bitch about selective schools because they are jealous. Most people (including myself at one point) also don't realise that the teacher quality at Ruse and Baulko really aren't that great. Students there have to self-learn most of the time.

Going to a selective school does have a point: the competition makes the people in the cohort put in more effort. A lot of people who don't go to selective schools don't experience this, and therefore are less likely to try as hard.

I'm not saying you didn't try hard btw, Anna. You're one of the exceptions.

Sammy2011

HSC
You can't say that students who attend normal/public schools are not as smart as selective kids. There are many reasons why someone may not be able to/want to attend a selective school, and that doesn't make them any less intelligent.

ilikebeeef

HSC
You can't say that students who attend normal/public schools are not as smart as selective kids. There are many reasons why someone may not be able to/want to attend a selective school, and that doesn't make them any less intelligent.
It is a generalisation. Of course there will be exceptions.

HSC
Uni Grad
Sometimes I just get into strange moods where I can't help but talk shit...

Sammy2011

HSC
Umm, Who and where do you think you are?
This is bos, you have no option to agree, you must dispute anything everyone says, ok?
What was I thinking?

He is wrong. Your wrong. But If I say he is wrong, then your right. And if your right, then your wrong.

I think my mind was just blown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)