does the hsc REALLY matter? (1 Viewer)

ellirene

HSC
okay so this may be a stupid question, BUT; ive been told [and i want to know if it is true or not], that no matter what mark you recieve in the actual hsc (just say your ranked first in a subject) you get the first place mark of someone who sat the hsc.

eg:

im first in english,
and i sit down and do the hsc,
i end up going realllly bad,
BUT!, do i still get the highest possible mark that someone recieved?

gah its confusing

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
do you mean the final exam we sit at the end of the year or the HSC as in the whole thing througout the year?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i think she means the final exam
and it's not as simplistic as that, there's some averaging out that happens as well, basically you'd still have to do well, but if someone comes and absolutely slams you in the externals then i think they get your mark or something similar
don't quote me on this cos i'm a bit iffy about it myself

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
LOL the HSC matters - there's a reason the external exams are worth 50%. From my understanding - that is how the rankings work but Board of Studies would never make it that easy - there's definitely something else to it that makes it work out fairly.

Last edited:

starrysky

HSC
ahen said:
i think she means the final exam
and it's not as simplistic as that, there's some averaging out that happens as well, basically you'd still have to do well, but if someone comes and absolutely slams you in the externals then i think they get your mark or something similar
don't quote me on this cos i'm a bit iffy about it myself
If you're ranked first, chances are you'll probably get the highest mark out of your cohort.

What happens is that you and your group sit the final exam. Since you're ranked first, the highest mark in the externals will be given to you as your internal assessment mark (which is why initial assessment marks don't count for shit, but rankings are extremely important).

Then they take your exam mark as well (which should be high, since if you're ranked first, again, you'll probably do really well), then average it, blah blah blah.

ellirene

HSC
starrysky said:
What happens is that you and your group sit the final exam. Since you're ranked first, the highest mark in the externals will be given to you as your internal assessment mark (which is why initial assessment marks don't count for shit, but rankings are extremely important).
thankyou!, that is precisly what i wanted to know :D

+ i mean that out of all assessments i'm first

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
starrysky said:
If you're ranked first, chances are you'll probably get the highest mark out of your cohort.

Then they take your exam mark as well (which should be high, since if you're ranked first, again, you'll probably do really well), then average it, blah blah blah.
ooooh i think i get this now so,
if someone comes and rips you in the exams then they get your exam mark but keep their assessment mark?

but if you're first then you get the highest exam mark as your internal, and you get your own assessment mark as well (depending on whether you came first in the actual exam or whatever)?

and then either way it gets averaged out

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
If you're ranked really well internally but do incredibly crap externally - BOS assumes that your internal assessments were easier - im not exactly sure how this works however, after reading a few threads - what i've understood is that, in that case - it doesnt work out that well for you.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
tanjin said:
If you're ranked really well internally but do incredibly crap externally - BOS assumes that your internal assessments were easier - im not exactly sure how this works however, after reading a few threads - what i've understood is that, in that case - it doesnt work out that well for you.
Yeah thats true, but I don't know how it works either.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
if you fail the HSC you FAIL AT LIFE

but yeah what everyone's said.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Shrikar said:
Yeah thats true, but I don't know how it works either.
I really wish Board of Studies would release something that clearly explains scaling, marks, rankings and how it all works out. I read something about scaling that i found on Board of Studies but it was incredibly confusing.

Last edited:

starrysky

HSC
Lol@that.

@ahen: What happens is, say you come first in ... English Advanced (I had to look three times at your signature to find your subjects, I'm that clueless today). If you don't come first in the exams, then the mark of whoever DOES come first will be awarded to you as your assessment mark. Then they also take your actual exam mark itself, plus your 'new' assessment mark, and average it.

Say ... someone came third in English Advanced internally. And you came in with the third highest mark in the externals out of your cohort. They would get your exam mark as their assessment mark, etc. etc.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Of course it doesn't. BOS just likes making exams and forcing students to sit them for their own twisted pleasure. ;) /end sarcasm.

Basically there is no point worrying about what happens with your marks - it won't help one little bit (well maybe ease the nerves or make them worse). Just do the best you can and await your results. :)

jirwin

HSC
if u come first or whatever, u still need to do relatively well other BOS will think that ur internals were too easy or ur teacher marked with bias. u need to try and be a bit consistent with ur mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)