does the school you go to affect you UAI scaling? (1 Viewer)

Dm31

HSC
i heard that the uai scaling is determined by ur school, how well others in your class do and etc. i go to a pretty bad school, so will this affect my uai, i.e. bring my marks lower than what they would be if i went to a different school???

any help would be appreciated, i'm just a bit confused because this seems to be quite unfair, but its what every1 keeps telling me.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
No. If you do well (i.e. make sure u beat the people in ur year by a fair amount, if they're dumb) then it wont affect you. But if you're in the middle it will.

pipin

HSC
dont worry your school has got nothing to do with it! however in your assessments you have to rank well in your group to get the better marks in the actual hsc....its really weirdly done, our teachers tried explaining it except our class was totally lost! not even sure they understand it!

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
pipin said:
dont worry your school has got nothing to do with it! however in your assessments you have to rank well in your group to get the better marks in the actual hsc....its really weirdly done, our teachers tried explaining it except our class was totally lost! not even sure they understand it!

not tru, ask sickle or anyone else who actually did suffer from their institutional rank.

Dm31

HSC
OMG, so how well is well, like over 80?? i was kinda hoping i could get around over 70 and get scaled up by my subjects, cuz i do chem phys 4u maths english n I.T.
so if i get under a certain amount, the school i go to will bring my marks down????

Uh-Oh

Dm31

HSC
O ok, i hope i do well then!!

Thanx for all ur replys =D

sladehk

le random
HSC
If you're at the top, scaling does not affect you. It only affects you a lot when you're in the middle or near the median

craziigal

HSC
i heard that it's you get a mark for your exam + a mark given by your teachers..
for eg.. you got 80 for the yearly exam.. then you're ranked 5th in class..
Then the teacher will rank you in class.. for eg you're ranked 8th in class..
Your final mark would be.. 80 + (the 8th person's yearly exam mark)

Anyways.. i think i don't make any sense~ so i'll jus.. shut =)

A l

HSC
N/A
The school you got to, markwise does not affect your UAI and scaling. The moderated school mark is used in combination with your raw examination marks for scaling. No school should be disadvantaged in the HSC. Your ranking in your school does not usually make a good representation of your ranking in the state.
Sometimes a low mark in your school may be pulled upwards by a higher mark in you HSC exam and vice versa.

It is a common myth that the school you go to affects your scaling and UAI. A lot of people think that if you go to a high ranked school you'll get scaled up. This is NOT the case. The only reason that high ranked schools do well is simply because their students do well.

Schools can only affect you in terms of social and environmental influences such as peer pressure or whether or not you prefer to work in a competitive (or selective class) environment . It all depends on the individual student, not the school he or she goes to.

When you say "bad school" do you mean in terms of social environment or academic performance?

If it is academic performance then if you're in the middle rank of the class or grade you can always attempt to pull your rankings up by your external examination mark. But in no way, does the school you go to, affect these marks. Remember, scaling is only affected by the performance of the candidature of each course in the WHOLE STATE. Always do your best in any task given to you.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Does this applies for assessment mark rankings as well?
So some teacher can make a superhard task so everyone gets like 10% while another teacher from another school gives them easy task... so they get 110% :eek:

I hope this isn't true :(

A l

HSC
N/A
AntiHyper said:
Does this applies for assessment mark rankings as well?
So some teacher can make a superhard task so everyone gets like 10% while another teacher from another school gives them easy task... so they get 110% :eek:
Before being scaled, aligned or reported, school assessments undergo a process called moderation. This ensures that no school is disadvantaged if teachers make an assessment too simple or too difficult. Your examination mark will always remain the same and will not be moderated since everybody should be doing the same examination. However, in schools they have different ways of assessing in each school and standards setting is different for each school and therefore must be moderated in accordance to the external examination performance. In other words, the marks that the school submits are not the marks that you see in your results or in scaling for the UAI. This moderation process ensures the distribution of assessment marks are parallel to the raw HSC examination marks distribution for each candidate.

Refer to the following thread to see this in further detail:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=6642

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)