Does this happen everywhere or is this just me? (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I used to work at Maccas and they paid by the minute too. Often Id be asked if I wanted to leave early if it was quiet, and when i declined I was never forced to clock off.

However I was never asked to clock on late because "it wasnt busy enough". I did do a lot of closes with Maccas (e.g rostered 5pm-12am, 24hr restaurant), and we we could leave whenever we had completed the jobs (washing everything, bleaching, stock rotation, etc.). So sometimes i could finish as early as 10:30pm or occasionally if there were newbies on we'd finish later (One shift I finished at 2:30am. After starting at 7:30. On a Sunday night. With my English half-yearly on monday). I mean technically thats not legal, and when i brought it up with my managers and coworkers it was "just the way things were done". And i got a guarantee upon hiring that schoolkids would never work past 11pm on a school night. What a load of BS that turned out to be, when i first tried to change my availability i was told I would have to be available for at least one weekday and one weekday close.

Big business taking advantage of us. Definitely secure other employment before you quit, that is all i can recommend. I did, love my new job, and guess i had to have a shit first job for training so that i can have a high-paying one now.
2:30 AM ?!?!?! holy crap haha, nah i'm in yr 11 atm and my rents want me to focus on studying. even if i want a different job, it's pretty hard atm :/ may i ask what job do you do nao?

and yea my dad said something similar, he was talking about how fast food places hire teens like us to take advantage of us. It's the same at KFC with the availability issue, u gotta work at least 2 shifts a week.

I used to work at KFC in Burwood, there were occassions when its not too busy and manager tells me to start like 5-10mins later, I just sat down for a while and played with my phone or something. It's not that big of a deal is it :S
No prizes for guessing which KFC i work at >_____________>

*shrug* depends on you i guess.

Personally, if i take the time out of my day to show up to work at the time designated on the roster, i expect to be paid for it.
exactly, they're wasting MY time as well. if the manager was rly troll, they cud have u wait an hour and say loljks no customers, gtfo and go home. obviously that will never happen but its kinda funny if you think about it :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
First time I ever heard of this clocking business lol. In the place I work at casually, we use a manual "sign in sign out" system. In other words, we sign in on arrival to the nearest 15 minute time and sign out to the nearest 15 minute time. We get paid for the period between the sign in and sign out (this is inclusive of a 30 minute break in between). Mind you, if anyone is caught fudging the sign in/out times, it is an instant dismissal.

Immortalp00n

HSC
lmao at my old work
me n a few work mates would come earlier than our assigned shifts,
sneakily sign in
then leave for a few hrs and chill and come back when it's our normal shifts... ( just got payed 3 hrs for freeeee :-0)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Nah happens to me and my friends as well.

So. annoying.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
lmao at my old work
sneakily sign in
then leave for a few hrs and chill and come back when it's our normal shifts... ( just got payed 3 hrs for freeeee :-0)
Hahahaha I had this chill manager and whenever that manager was working, I would just sit at the back and talk with my friends. When that manager asked why I wasn't working or why i'm bumming around, I would say that i'm on a break (i was still clocked on). Free $$

jnney

lemon
HSC
Lol wow that sucks. I remember during the first 2-3 shifts at my first job I would just walk around the kitchen because I had nothing to do. :p

MarcHBC

HSC
I've worked at Maccas most of my school life and you should be able to give your availabilities with no hassles. I can only work a max of 2 shifts seeing as its my HSC year and I'm focusing on schooling. I see where you are coming from but, I used to do real late shifts of a school night.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
2:30 AM ?!?!?! holy crap haha, nah i'm in yr 11 atm and my rents want me to focus on studying. even if i want a different job, it's pretty hard atm :/ may i ask what job do you do nao?
I was in year 11 and those were the shifts i was doing

Yea i started looking for a new job by dropping in resumes but none of that shit works haha. I networked with some friends and I got told my local dick smith was hiring. Dropped in my resume to the CORRECT manager, talked for a while, namedropped two others from school i knew worked there, and told them my dad works in wireless device logistics.

Anyway, got accepted for the job without an interview! Was paid 10.35 at maccas with double time on public hols only. Now i get 13.20 base, 10% loading on saturday, time and a half on sunday, double time and a half on public holidays as well as commission (which can increase my pay by around 25% in a good month). Plus heaps better working conditions, not around oil all day, air conditioning, heaps friendly coworkers and if theres a couple of us on and no one is in the store we will just chat hahaha.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I've worked at Maccas most of my school life and you should be able to give your availabilities with no hassles. I can only work a max of 2 shifts seeing as its my HSC year and I'm focusing on schooling. I see where you are coming from but, I used to do real late shifts of a school night.
im surprised you're still working even though its ur your HSC year. lmao it's HSC year for this girl who works at kfc as well and she works one shift a month TROLOLOLOL

I was in year 11 and those were the shifts i was doing

Yea i started looking for a new job by dropping in resumes but none of that shit works haha. I networked with some friends and I got told my local dick smith was hiring. Dropped in my resume to the CORRECT manager, talked for a while, namedropped two others from school i knew worked there, and told them my dad works in wireless device logistics.

Anyway, got accepted for the job without an interview! Was paid 10.35 at maccas with double time on public hols only. Now i get 13.20 base, 10% loading on saturday, time and a half on sunday, double time and a half on public holidays as well as commission (which can increase my pay by around 25% in a good month). Plus heaps better working conditions, not around oil all day, air conditioning, heaps friendly coworkers and if theres a couple of us on and no one is in the store we will just chat hahaha.
Wow congratz haha. Any job recommendations that are flexible with time. lmao i remember signing up with kfc and they were talking about how flexible with availability for students. what a load of bs that was >.>

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
First time I ever heard of this clocking business lol. In the place I work at casually, we use a manual "sign in sign out" system. In other words, we sign in on arrival to the nearest 15 minute time and sign out to the nearest 15 minute time. We get paid for the period between the sign in and sign out (this is inclusive of a 30 minute break in between). Mind you, if anyone is caught fudging the sign in/out times, it is an instant dismissal.
instant dismissal being no work today or being gtfo ip banned forever from this place?

lmao at my old work
sneakily sign in
lmao u guys got balls. +1 internetz

Diadochi

HSC
fast food places suck. You are working with young power obsessive managers who think they own the place. I quit straight after training and ended up getting a job at woolies much better :D

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
fast food places suck. You are working with young power obsessive managers who think they own the place. I quit straight after training and ended up getting a job at woolies much better :D
^^^^^ THIS
what do you do at woolies besides the check outs. do u have to stack things up w/e? btw was it hard getting a job there or did u know ppl who worked there/uber bauss resume

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
never had this kind of problem whilst working at kfc. :3

it was boring as fuark though

ngaston2154

HSC
do what i did, take two weeks holidays, and make sure that it is two weeks, and on the last day just

lols cya

plus talk to fairwork australia, get your parents to call them up, they will get your money, it can take five years but in the end you will get it ALL back and will be properly paid, if they don't have the info, it means you are unknowingly an illegal worker and they will get a HUGE fine (literally >$20k) , plus probably have to close up their franchise.

it sounds a bit hyperbole, but they are breaching your human rights have to say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)