Does this sentence make sense? (1 Viewer)

HSC
[FONT=&quot]Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to represent their departure and their no longer being there.

Does it? It makes perfect sense to me, but my teacher seems to think that it isn't grammatically correct.
[/FONT]

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
[FONT=&quot]Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to represent their departure and their no longer being there.[/FONT]
That's probably what your teacher was referring to.

G

Gavvvvvin

I would probably go with.

Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as being ‘shadows’ to represent their departure and no longer being there.

the no longer being there bit seems kinda redundant...and being of limirted vocabulary

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
No, it should be "Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to represent their departure and absence."

The sentence isn't parallel and if you want me to explain that I will but otherwise that's the issue.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
"no longer being there" cannot act as a noun, and so it similarly can't be used in conjunction with the possessive "their".

darkwaltzxx

HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
[FONT=&quot]Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to represent their departure and their no longer being there.

Does it? It makes perfect sense to me, but my teacher seems to think that it isn't grammatically correct.
[/FONT]
I would say:

Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as 'shadows' to represent their departure and that they are no longer there. (or present).

morganforrest

HSC
It's just a poorly constructed sentence. If they have departed they are obviously no longer there....the end part is redundant and doesn't contribute to the sentence at all.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
it does make sense but I would say:
Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to convey their departure and thus absence.
mind you i don't do those texts, or if this is still correct

BackCountrySnow

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
it does make sense but I would say:
Dawe describes the bodies of the soldiers as ‘shadows’ to convey their departure and thus absence.
nah, that's no good..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)