Does this sound right?? (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
We have recently had maths tests and half yearly maths exams and they have been HARD.
We use a Maths In Focus and its pathetic compared to the questions in our exams, but back to the point.
Our maths teacher told us today that hes trying to push us all really fast through maths this year and wants us to be able to do HSC papers by the end of this year!! I dunno if this is normal but I think thats a bit over the top and he told us that our half yearlys were based on past HSC papers.
I wanna drop extension maths at the end of the year let alone do HSC exams for it.
Is it normal for him to be doing this??

bored of sc

HSC
Sarah182 said:
We have recently had maths tests and half yearly maths exams and they have been HARD.
We use a Maths In Focus and its pathetic compared to the questions in our exams, but back to the point.
Our maths teacher told us today that hes trying to push us all really fast through maths this year and wants us to be able to do HSC papers by the end of this year!! I dunno if this is normal but I think thats a bit over the top and he told us that our half yearlys were based on past HSC papers.
I wanna drop extension maths at the end of the year let alone do HSC exams for it.
Is it normal for him to be doing this??
um, thats seems really weird (I'm assuming your getting the entire 2-U maths course (prelim and HSC) done in 1 year!

and yer, we also use maths in focus - its too easy in comparison to test questions but its good when you are starting a topic and need that repetition of the simple formulas and processes :)

its just our extension test was relatively EASY but it was quite hard due to practising EASY questions in MATHS IN FOCUS

hmmm... I feel your uncertainty in what you teacher is doing

its getting you into HSC exam style papers earlier so thats a plus, BUT you could be going the the course far too quick

what our maths teacher is doing is giving us HSC past paper questions that correspond to the topic we just finish - so that way we can see how much harder HSC style questions are straight after we do a topic

its sounds possible what is going on with your maths course progress but it doesn't sound very manageable and paced

hope that makes sense and relates to you :)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
um, thats seems really weird (I'm assuming your getting the entire 2-U maths course (prelim and HSC) done in 1 year!

and yer, we also use maths in focus - its too easy in comparison to test questions but its good when you are starting a topic and need that repetition of the simple formulas and processes :)

its just our extension test was relatively EASY but it was quite hard due to practising EASY questions in MATHS IN FOCUS

hmmm... I feel your uncertainty in what you teacher is doing

its getting you into HSC exam style papers earlier so thats a plus, BUT you could be going the the course far too quick

what our maths teacher is doing is giving us HSC past paper questions that correspond to the topic we just finish - so that way we can see how much harder HSC style questions are straight after we do a topic

its sounds possible what is going on with your maths course progress but it doesn't sound very manageable and paced

hope that makes sense and relates to you :)
Thanks heaps, we are flying through the textbook I'd say we have done half of the topics plus permutations and combinations which isnt in it at all.
I might talk to him tomorrow about moving so fast through the course and also doing HSC papers, I'll tell everyone how it goes.

bored of sc

HSC
Sarah182 said:
Thanks heaps, we are flying through the textbook I'd say we have done half of the topics plus permutations and combinations which isnt in it at all.
I might talk to him tomorrow about moving so fast through the course and also doing HSC papers, I'll tell everyone how it goes.
good luck with all your maths

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
carrots please! said:
maths in focus is seriously shoddy.

you cannot trust the answers in that book; the prelim one sucks though the hsc one's ok
Maths in focus was meant to help you understand and help you summarize and get the basic view of what the topic is about. Youd be a egghead if you only studied from maths in focus. Every lesson in 3Unit math is easy if you take it from the Maths in Focus book. But this isnt math , math isnt straight forward. Its meant to challenge your brain etc. I had a problem with the Fitzpatrick book , talked to my teacher gave me Maths in Focus , told me to get basic idea from it , then go to Fitzpatrick book.

Believe me a breakthrough. Brother, if you want something challenging get the Yellow , 2Unit and the Green , 3Unit Fitzpatrick book. They are not for the average joe :rofl: . Gl man.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I see nothing unusual - except for the fact that you use Maths in Focus. :D

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
What lots of schools do is they teach Advanced Maths in the 1st year. Last year, we finished the last topic of Physical World Calculus in Week 10 Term 4. We would have finished it earlier but we did a couple of 3U topics along the way.

Yeah, Maths in Focus is really bad. We're using New Senior Maths (Yellow and Green book) and it is so much better!!!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Its strange to rush through 3U math, but theres nothing strange about rushing through 2U math. My teacher kinda does that unconsciously, and we don't even notice. I guess its because hes a VERY good teacher, and he has to keep waiting for the other classes to catch up.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
solomarc20 said:
Yeah, Maths in Focus is really bad. We're using New Senior Maths (Yellow and Green book) and it is so much better!!!
I use that aswell as cambridge, they are much much better than Maths in focus.
I asked him about why we are doing this all so fast and he said that he wants to move through the easy stuff (2u) and focus on the harder stuff, I saw where he was coming from.

dpospination

HSC
we use Fitzpatrick which is probably the best book on the Market, really relevant and some challenging questions. the fact that u r going quickly is not unusual, particualrly if u are acceleratig (im in yearr 11, term one ends tomorrow, but i am accelerating maths, and we have done probaly about 2/3 to 3/4 of the HSC 2 unit course by now)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dpospination said:
we use Fitzpatrick which is probably the best book on the Market, really relevant and some challenging questions. the fact that u r going quickly is not unusual, particualrly if u are acceleratig (im in yearr 11, term one ends tomorrow, but i am accelerating maths, and we have done probaly about 2/3 to 3/4 of the HSC 2 unit course by now)
I agree. However, Cambridge is better when it comes to explanation of formula and questions.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Cambridge has better questions, and probably is the best for the "Harder 3U questions" section of the 4U course. From what my Maths teacher says 3U Fitzpatrick is pretty bad, so we use 2U Fitzpatrick and 3U Cambridge.

But....Cambridge is a back breaker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)