Does uni get less overwhelming (1 Viewer)

mamehapumpkin

HSC
I'm in a science degree and this was my second day and basically I feel like I'm going to fail already! On that blackboard site for my units there's already a ton of crap to do and I just feel really overwhelmed. Also I'm nervous because I see people like way ahead doing all this stuff and I feel like I'm way behind but it's been only 2 days?? And I really don't know what to do in the lectures? I read the lecture notes before the lecture and wrote down important points so I feel like the lecture is almost pointless when I go. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. And the biol1003 syllabus scares me, there are so many topics in such a short amount of time.

Yeah I know it has only been 2 days. Does it get a little 'easier' to make sense of everything after you settle in? Also how easy is it to fail a unit? It seems easy given there is so much stuff to do. A little advice would be great. I just don't want to fail. Thanks!

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I don't think it's that bad lol, I'm doing CHEM1901, PHYS1001, MATH1901/1902 and just picked up BIOL1001 today. They haven't taught anything i haven't already learned yet except for in MATH1902 where the guy kinda assumed off the bat that we knew what matrices were since like 2-3 kids raised their hands when he asked "Have you learnt matrices?" So far it's just been alot of introductions and info about where to get resources online.

Just another point though, lectures aren't supposed to be all that majorly helpful from what i've heard.

royalgoyal

HSC
I'm in a science degree and this was my second day and basically I feel like I'm going to fail already! On that blackboard site for my units there's already a ton of crap to do and I just feel really overwhelmed. Also I'm nervous because I see people like way ahead doing all this stuff and I feel like I'm way behind but it's been only 2 days?? And I really don't know what to do in the lectures? I read the lecture notes before the lecture and wrote down important points so I feel like the lecture is almost pointless when I go. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. And the biol1003 syllabus scares me, there are so many topics in such a short amount of time.

Yeah I know it has only been 2 days. Does it get a little 'easier' to make sense of everything after you settle in? Also how easy is it to fail a unit? It seems easy given there is so much stuff to do. A little advice would be great. I just don't want to fail. Thanks!
calm down take it easy dont have a frame of mind saying your gunna fail, think positively mate then you succeed. Always think like it is a challenge and that you are upto it.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
It's fine to feel anxious but this is just your first week - you're in first year and overwhelmed with the information thrown at you. Try and form study groups and don't be afraid to contact your tutors or lecturers if you don't understand the content. Once you get into the habit of writing notes, doing lab reports and tute work and doing readings it will get easier. All the best!

Silly Sausage

HSC
I didn't understand a single thing in my INFO1103 lecture today.

enoilgam

HSC
University definitely has fear factor, especially at the beginning. But overall it's more bark than bite in my experience. You just have to take a step back, relax and get a bit organised. Break stuff down into smaller tasks and don't get sucked into doing pointless work.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
uni is survival of the fittest, the weak die out while the strong succeed

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
I don't think it gets less overwhelming. I do think it'll get more overwhelming. Maybe you're just feeling anxious as you're in a new environment and you're worried about keeping up. You just need to be organised about these things and sort things up into blocks, start plotting your calendar, tackle one thing at a time.

You need to manage these stresses/study loads now as it'll get worse when break/Easter come along. Its a skill all uni students should graduate with. Don't worry and just be organised and you'll be fine.

phcan

HSC
I didn't understand a single thing in my INFO1103 lecture today.
Thank god I'm not alone in that INFO1103 lecture who didn't understand anything today... it was so bad sitting at the very back of the room as well!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It does take some people a few weeks to orientate themselves but it's very easy to get used to the expectations imo.

My advice is to remember that university is more about self-directed learning. You have your lecture, and then you are expected to read further into the area. The tutorials/labs/practicals are used to reinforce what you've learned, and they give you an opportunity to ask questions if you are having difficulties, or you are curious about a particular area.

But yes, although the content gets harder in later years, your performance should be stronger because you have grown accustomed to the new culture of learning.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
It does take some people a few weeks to orientate themselves but it's very easy to get used to the expectations imo.

My advice is to remember that university is more about self-directed learning. You have your lecture, and then you are expected to read further into the area. The tutorials/labs/practicals are used to reinforce what you've learned, and they give you an opportunity to ask questions if you are having difficulties, or you are curious about a particular area.

But yes, although the content gets harder in later years, your performance should be stronger because you have grown accustomed to the new culture of learning.
Where do you obtain the information that is not in lectures? Is it just the stuff you get in the work books and textbooks and such? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing right now and I don't have half my books yet (either picking them up tomorrow or trying to find one still).

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Where do you obtain the information that is not in lectures? Is it just the stuff you get in the work books and textbooks and such? I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing right now and I don't have half my books yet (either picking them up tomorrow or trying to find one still).
Research. Don't understand basics of say Keynesian Economics? Wikipedia (don't use it as a reference though) or find a Youtube video that can explain it to you. Generally if you still don't understand it after readings/texts/internet, that's when consultation hours kick in. Feel free to pop in when their hours are set and have a chat. Maybe even after the lecture if you're not shy; lecturers are human too! They love when students are interested in their topic and make an effort to understand.

Its all about independence and problem solving. As much as I hated when one of my lecturers would email us walls of text telling us the benefits of problem solving skill and the need for it in later life, I do think its a good skill to have. No problem if you can't find what you're looking for but try before asking the lecturer/tutors. Most lecturers/tutors don't mind helping you and that's what they're there for; to help you.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? : science. Derp me.

Edit: Fixing dat bad grammar. Long day.

Last edited:

zxreth

HSC
Make those connections kids! Leech, Leech, Leech! Uni is definitely easier to succeed in through group effort.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
Research. Don't understand basics of say Keynesian Economics? Wikipedia (don't use it as a reference though) or find a Youtube video that can explain it to you. Generally if you still don't understand it after readings/texts/internet, that's when consultation hours kick in. Feel free to pop in when their hours are set and have a chat. Maybe even after the lecture if you're not shy; lecturers are human too! They love when students are interested in their topic and make an effort to understand.

Its all about independence and problem solving. As much as I hated when one of my lecturers would email us walls of text telling us the benefits of problem solving skill and the need for it in later life, I do think its a good skill to have. No problem if you can't find what you're looking for but try before asking the lecturer/tutors. Most lecturers/tutors don't mind helping you and that's what they're there for; to help you.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? : science. Derp me.

Edit: Fixing dat bad grammar. Long day.
ok I see. A lot different to highschool but I think I can get the hang of this. Thanks

mamehapumpkin

HSC
Make those connections kids! Leech, Leech, Leech! Uni is definitely easier to succeed in through group effort.
Ahhh I haven't made friends yet, I don't know how and no one has approached me, but hopefully the tutorial tomorrow will make it easier. Doesn't help that I'm just really awkward and shy in the first place haha

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Ahhh I haven't made friends yet, I don't know how and no one has approached me, but hopefully the tutorial tomorrow will make it easier. Doesn't help that I'm just really awkward and shy in the first place haha
Always look for those who you have multiple classes with. Its pretty annoying that a lot of the first years just hang out with their high school friends. It took me a year before I ended up making friends with people who I have similar classes with. The ones that you see and you make eye contact with in multiple classes but you have no idea who they are generally make good friends!

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Use Google (Wikipedia).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)