• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does Voulnteering experience count ???? (1 Viewer)

moviemoghul

HSC
N/A
I am volunteering for some admin work in a volunteer organisation. I do pretty much the same stuff that admins do like, filing, faxing/photo copying/scanning, data entry of community centre client information, handling calls, handling correspondence etc.

Would this be of use as experience, if I look out for office support roles elsewhere ??

Just curious to know.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
moviemoghul said:
I am volunteering for some admin work in a volunteer organisation. I do pretty much the same stuff that admins do like, filing, faxing/photo copying/scanning, data entry of community centre client information, handling calls, handling correspondence etc.

Would this be of use as experience, if I look out for office support roles elsewhere ??

Just curious to know.
It's very useful, especially when you're young and just starting out. Lots of new job seekers (whether uni graduates or school leavers) complain that employers look for experienced job applicants and that leaves out a lot of students/graduates who don't have much in their resume yet. And yet, how would you gain experience if employers don't hire you and give you that experience.

And you can also emphasise more than just "filing, faxing/photo copying/scanning, data entry". Presumably you've worked in a voluntary capacity in that organisation so you can say you were able to observe how the organisation works from the inside and were involved in the kind of community work that they do.

moviemoghul

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply mate.....

Im facing similar problems when i apply on job search websites. They say I have less skills than what they require. But infact, a girl whom I know is really bad at ms office and managed to get into administrations...possibly due to her customer service background. And actually gave me an insight into what they actually do, which was very basic.

And I keep calling recruitment agencies and ask them to register me in the temp pool But all they say is 'there isnt anything much going at this time of the year' and just ask me to email my resume....

Any idea which recruitment agency is best for starters ?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
moviemoghul said:
Any idea which recruitment agency is best for starters ?
I've got no idea, I've never used one so there isn't one I could recommend. But what they said sounds reasonble, they will always ask for you to send your resume in because that's how they find you work, with your resume.

moviemoghul

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
I've got no idea, I've never used one so there isn't one I could recommend. But what they said sounds reasonble, they will always ask for you to send your resume in because that's how they find you work, with your resume.

haha Now that's scary !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)