Does WAM/uni results actually matter in employment? (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
I was wondering if employers place a huge emphasis on university grades when recruiting, like what should one aim for throughout studies? (e.g. low credits, high credits, distinction average, HD?) Would it be different if one had previous work experience? What about in these areas in particular: accounting, finance, banking, investment banking

I'm asking because I'm going to be enrolling in commerce at UNSW this year, but ages ago I did this computing course offered to high schoolers by UNSW. I received a low distinction, and was told that I can either a). transfer it over so that it counts towards my new degree (and WAM I'd assume), b). just leave it on my non award record. Is this result alright, or would I be better off starting clean? I think if I transferred it over, it might be able to count for one of the general education subjects (and I guess I don't have to pay for extra subject fees) but thoughts?

turntaker

HSC
Just keep it as a gen ed.
Marks don't mean much its all about experience and having a low D for a subject that is not even related to your course isn't going to affect you in any way.

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
It used to have great importance alongside the uni's reputation, but things have changed a lot since - especially as employers do place greater emphasis on the skills you acquire outside of academia (even though that is still important to a degree). But I would think what's more important is your ability to think on the spot (because let's face it, you can't rote learn everything for life) and emotional intelligence, things of which are either impossible or very difficult to learn from a textbook.

Yes, a consistent pattern of high marks at school and university, across many courses, is always a fantastic asset to sell oneself to employers. Having said that, it’s a lot more powerful as part of an array of knowledge that could include part-time work, volunteering, travel, EC, starting a small business or other experiences that highlight an ability to adapt, lead and learn on the fly. Interestingly, a lot of people that get rejected aren't really employable because they've been sheltered all their life and spoon-fed information (not to say they didn't work hard or that all of the people that attend these universities are like that, of course), and haven't really developed other skills which are critical to employability. Employers nowadays identify true creativity, innovation and entrepreneurial traits in students, beyond merely what you get back on paper in the form of arbitrary numbers, given the growing importance of learning agility in an corporate world influenced by networking.

Long story short; grades do matter but not to the great extent that it used to in the past, and it's certainly not viable on its own to guarantee employment upon post graduation.

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Marks only really matter for the written application stage. It's a screening tool. Firms don't have time to interview all applicants. Once you progress past the written stage, it's all about making good impressions and how you perform in the interview.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Grades matter when you're coming out of a degree and looking to obtain employment. It acts as a discriminator against each candidate. Sometimes you can co-relate academic ability / with ability to pick up concepts quickly etc.

I think it doesn't matter as much if you go in as a cadet and manage to keep at least a credit average. At the end of the day, you will have work experience when you graduate. I speak from my experiences at small-medium insolvency firms. Management have an emphasis on credentials (an accounting degree and/or a law degree) and they do not care about the grades (as much). They appreciate people with accounting, insurance, property or legal background. Once you're in the job, what matters most is your performance and ability to do the work. I've got a credit average and I am no where near completing my degree. I have been in the insolvency industry for two years now (no degree), and am now classified an 'intermediate' rather than cadet and I am looking to become a senior within the year/next.

Grades may matter a little bit more the bigger the firm gets. The more competitive the industry (particularly entry-level positions) in finance, banking and investment banking I think there'd be more of an emphasis on candidates with a D/HD WAM.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Anything finance related you want a D+ WAM generally, but with a Cadetship - depending on the position this can be lenient to a high credit, for accounting just a credit will do, even a pass with 1-2 years experience if you're going for high intake areas like tax and audit.

Generally just do what you can but don't stress about study honestly, it's not worth it if your intending to stay in accounting.(unless you really really have an ambition to go IB or something).

matchalolz

HSC
Thanks for all the replies :spin: I guess I'm just worried because
1). I still have a bit of the "marks are so important" mindset from hsc, and I know back when I did the course, I did not take it seriously hence looking back I'm thinking I could have done better
2). I don't have my life together to the point where I know exactly what career I want to do (although I've narrowed it down to those areas ish)

While IB sounds kind of interesting to me, I don't really think I have the right personality for it, and I'm not super ambitious. Like, I've been to an IB interview before and I think the fact that I didn't really know what I wanted really showed through

I'm thinking I might just keep it and focus a little more on work while taking finance subjects to see if I like it as much as/better than accounting, and work my ass off for a solid D/HD wam if i decide that I need it? oh well #yolo

pomsky

HSC
Kinda related but not that much, I was also one of those super-enthusiastic high-schoolers that went a did a uni level course for fun. I ended up attaining a HD, but 1.) I did it in USYD and I'm attending UNSW right now (thought USYD campus was da bomb back then :p) and 2.) It's quite unrelated to what I'm currently studying (Commerce/Law).

Should I bother inquiring about this?

matchalolz

HSC
Kinda related but not that much, I was also one of those super-enthusiastic high-schoolers that went a did a uni level course for fun. I ended up attaining a HD, but 1.) I did it in USYD and I'm attending UNSW right now (thought USYD campus was da bomb back then :p) and 2.) It's quite unrelated to what I'm currently studying (Commerce/Law).

Should I bother inquiring about this?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you don't need to do general education subjects (stuff outside of your faculty) if you're in a combined degree, so don't bother imo. In my case if it gets approved, I get to do one less subject

Ooh are you a first year too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pomsky

HSC
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you don't need to do general education subjects (stuff outside of your faculty) if you're in a combined degree, so don't bother imo. In my case if it gets approved, I get to do one less subject

Ooh are you a first year too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohkays sweet :)

Yaah, n00bie first year coming to block the buses first week back lmao.

Flop21

HSC
I've heard they do matter (graduate jobs anyway).

I would imagine it's like a package, the employer will look at everything which includes grades, uni, and skills.

enoilgam

HSC
Speaking from my experience working in HR and as a job seeker, marks count for very little beyond graduate roles and even then, they arent highly valued. With the exception of say Law, IB and MBB, marks are little more than a check box item for graduate recruiters - essentially, your grades just need to meet the cut-off and then they become irrelevant. A credit average is sufficient for most graduate programs, but a distinction average gives much more security for meeting all cut-offs. Id go as far to say that a HD average is a waste of time, unless it comes with a uni medal in which case it does look slightly better. Overall though, the employment market is placing less and less value on degrees and marks as a general trend.

A personal opinion, but I do give grades more weight than most, because I think it says a lot about graduates and juniors. Whilst I agree that uni grades arent a good indicator of hard skills, to me they demonstrate strong soft skills. If a person has a distinction plus average, then that suggests to me that they are highly capable and can produce work to a high standard on a consistent basis. This is skill is very important within the workplace (and something that you cant always infer from experiences especially from juniors).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)