Does your school post your cumulative rankings? (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
No because you have no right to know the information about other students.

You might get told that first was two marks ahead of second but not the actual marks as they belong to the students who earnt them only.
I would not be interested in the actual marks themselves but going through the loophole of getting the gaps between these marks would be better. I am quite sure that would be okay under the FOI Act and Privacy Act.

But I can't be bothered to go to so much trouble - I just ask my friends.

jet

Banned
HSC
My class was friendly competitive; we told each other ranks/marks. But we respected someone's privacy if they didn't want us to know.

bob fossil

HSC
We recieve our own marks and ranks, and also a scatter graph of everyones marks so we can work out the gaps.

Eddykungfu

HSC
WE still had them at our school, but showed school ID numbers not names.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Our school posted them up - I still have the pictures of them on my FB. :p

swathard

HSC
Easy for you to say, when you are aiming for 99.2

Think about if you were the one getting marks from 30~40%... :/
+1.

I don't think that the ranks/marks should be posted up. It is a breach of privacy. Some people prefer not to have their marks exposed to everyone. I'm included. I say, 'worry about your own marks, and quit worrying about mine.'

determine

Premium Member
HSC
+1.

I don't think that the ranks/marks should be posted up. It is a breach of privacy. Some people prefer not to have their marks exposed to everyone. I'm included. I say, 'worry about your own marks, and quit worrying about mine.'
I completely agree with you. This is something that happened at my school very much, where people were constantly concerned about everyone else's marks and it just became a really unhealthily competitive atmosphere.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Easy for you to say, when you are aiming for 99.2

Think about if you were the one getting marks from 30~40%... :/
its just an aim...well if im the one getting 30~40%, and i knew that the marks will be published for the grade to see, then ill try harder.

+1.

meh, it doesn't worry me. i'm just saying that if they posted the rankings, those who are going to get marks of 30 or 40 would just try harder to save them from the embarrassment of having a crappy mark. just another source of motivation... and i don't want the rankings up so i can see everyone else's, i would just like to have the peace of mind knowing where i stand. although sadly, some people do like to see who came last and have a laugh.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Sometimes 30~40% may be an "accomplishment" to those who are less academic (I.e very sporty, etc).

People have different strengths and weaknesses mate.

I don't think the point of motivation, is not to depress/humiliate those in front of the year in order to push them to study?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
depending on department the department they may post rankings with marks after an assessment where it shows computer numbers (student number) and on your report you have your ranking. You can always ask your teacher and they will tell you

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I'd like to know my ranks. my school doesn't post them but I already know them because teachers tell me, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)