Dogs and unborn pups operated on, then killed - Melbourne University. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
MELBOURNE University is using healthy dogs - some of them pregnant - for student vet operations, then killing the animals.

The dogs are anaesthetised before students carry out surgical procedures, then put down before they are likely to regain consciousness.

A student who did not want to be named said she had been given a bitch carrying seven unborn pups for surgery practice.

She said other students had been given two-month-old pups.

The university and its practices on dogs were dubbed "inhumane" by RSPCA Australia president Hugh Wirth .

Dr Wirth yesterday urged an end to the practice at the Faculty of Veterinary Science on the Werribee campus.

Every year, dozens of dogs are taken out of the faculty's special "dog colony" - a row of cages - for student operations.

Former student Lisa Elsner said: "Most dogs were absolutely petrified - so scared that the students couldn't walk them on a lead through the door of the hospital.

"Some would lie close to the ground shaking all over, so in the end many had to be carried in."

Dr Elsner, now a qualified vet, said she refused to operate on animals that were to be put down.

Several other students claimed laboratories were often under-supervised - leaving baffled trainees to leaf through text books as they operated.

Dean of Veterinary Science Prof Ken Hinchcliff confirmed the surgery practice, but said it was common.

"We use both dead and live animals in the instruction of veterinary students," he said.

"Use of live animals is a small but vital part of our surgery teaching program before clinical training.

"Dogs used in surgical teaching are anaesthetised before any surgical procedures are performed and are euthanised before awakening.

"All animals are treated with the utmost care and compassion. All procedures, sourcing, and housing of animals ultimately used for teaching is with the approval of the Animal Ethics Committee of the University of Melbourne."

Prof Hinchcliff refused to reveal where the dogs came from, saying only they were "donated".

An RSPCA spokesman said the society believed the university advertised for unwanted pets and former farm and breeding dogs.

Greyhound Victoria admitted it provided dogs to the university.

Dr Wirth said the use of the dogs was a waste of life.

"We don't support any operations on live dogs by students," he said.

"And we don't think that because a vet student has desexed one or two (dogs or cats) during their studies that it makes them a better vet."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23530922-2,00.html

Poor puppies!!! omgz :(

Die Victorians, you all suck ass.

bigneh

HSC
Im am going to stab every single one of those kunts in the face.

Pace_T

HSC
fucking scum melbourne university

bigneh

HSC
amused1977, yes the retribution for these people killing these animals is killing them.
Who are you to say that there live is worth more than these poor animals?

WTF is the point of a vet doing this shit, its like a doctor killing people in training, defeats the purpose.

Also i didnt say to kill them i said stab them in the face, but killing them works too.

"Some would lie close to the ground shaking all over, so in the end many had to be carried in."
If that doesnt make you want to kill them then somethings wrong with you.

bigneh

HSC
People get all touchy about stem cell research and this shit goes on and we hear nothing about it.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The majority of animals the RSPCA receives end up euthanised.

jimmayyy

HSC
how else do you want vets to learn how to operate, you fucking retards? next time a vet successfully saves your pets life in an operation, it will probably be because they undertook this sort of study.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
This doesn't bother me at all. The animals are anaesthetised; they feel no pain.

Most of these animals would have been euthanised anyway (such is the fact that there are too many pets and not enough people for them in this country; DESEX YOUR DAMN ANIMALS PEOPLE).

At least this way they're not just dying; they're helping to train vets who will save other lives in the future.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Heh. Just because something happens anyway doesn't nessecarily make it right, fellows.

Surgeons learn how to operate on humans without euthanising every human they come in contact with. Surely it's not that hard to do it the same way with learning to be a vet.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Heh. Just because something happens anyway doesn't nessecarily make it right, fellows.

Surgeons learn how to operate on humans without euthanising every human they come in contact with. Surely it's not that hard to do it the same way with learning to be a vet.
They do, in their clinical placements.

I honestly don't see what difference it makes if they are killed in the name of education or they're killed because someone couldn't be fucked walking it everyday and then dropped it off at the RSPCA.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm curious as to what people think should be done about the manymany animals that have no home.

lolokay

HSC
Yeah, I don't see why this is so bad. They're not feeling pain or anything, and didn't really have good lives. I hope everyone who was really against this is vegan -.- .

Plus, there'd be much more serious issues to deal with than this.

bigneh said:
People get all touchy about stem cell research and this shit goes on and we hear nothing about it.
Yeah, because the people who get touchy about it are religious, which makes it a very serious issue to them - basically like killing millions (?) of people. I would have thought that most other people would get much more touchy over cute little animals being killed, than embryonic stem cell research..

Last edited:

yer8899

HSC
lolokay said:
Yeah, I don't see why this is so bad. They're not feeling pain or anything, and didn't really have good lives. I hope everyone who was really against this is vegan -.- .
dogs tend to live longer than two-months dipshit.

lolokay

HSC
yer8899 said:
dogs tend to live longer than two-months dipshit.
well ignore that part then, I'm just saying there's more serious issues to get fired up about than this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)