Dogs and unborn pups operated on, then killed - Melbourne University. (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The fact is this is seen everywhere. Too many people breed too many animals, and there's no homes for them.

In the USA especially, since they got rid of legalised slaughter, the glut of unwanted horses starve or are shipped over the borders to be slaughtered. Too many people breeding too many horses.

Doesn't mean it's right, but there it is. Easy solution? STOP LEAVING YOUR PETS ENTIRE. DESEX THEM. DO NOT BREED YOUR PETS SO YOUR STUPID KIDS CAN EXPERIENCE THE MIRACLE OF LIFE, AND DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG WITH HIS BALLS BECAUSE YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE CHOPPING THEM OFF. BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER.

/rant

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Kwayera said:
The fact is this is seen everywhere. Too many people breed too many animals, and there's no homes for them.

In the USA especially, since they got rid of legalised slaughter, the glut of unwanted horses starve or are shipped over the borders to be slaughtered. Too many people breeding too many horses.

Doesn't mean it's right, but there it is. Easy solution? STOP LEAVING YOUR PETS ENTIRE. DESEX THEM. DO NOT BREED YOUR PETS SO YOUR STUPID KIDS CAN EXPERIENCE THE MIRACLE OF LIFE, AND DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG WITH HIS BALLS BECAUSE YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE CHOPPING THEM OFF. BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER.

/rant
desex them? Omg I think you're removing their pleasure of climax in sex. :read:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
scarybunny said:
I'm curious as to what people think should be done about the manymany animals that have no home.
we should murder all our criminals and put the animals in their gaol cells.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Enteebee said:
we should murder all our criminals and put the animals in their gaol cells.
And we can use the criminals to train our future surgeons.

Problem solved, guys. Excellent work NTB.

bigneh

HSC
how else do you want vets to learn how to operate, you fucking retards? next time a vet successfully saves your pets life in an operation, it will probably be because they undertook this sort of study.
WTF, it just shows they dont give a fuck about the animals, just getting a degree and making money. Ill use the example i used before, its like surgeons operating on and killing people for training, makes no sense. Lets save animals by learning to save them through killing them.

Sure alot of them do end up being put down in the long run, im against euthanising animals in the first place, but using them for this vet training, especially pregnant dogs doesnt sit well with me.

You will find that once people can gain through exterminating these dogs, people will abuse this insentive and dogs who where not initially destined to be put down will end up in this uni.

I feel it does not give respect to these animals, putting them down in the first place is sad but cutting them right open with pups just pisses me off.

As the opposition said in the article of the first post, these practises dont make or break a vet, they are not necessary at all and it doesnt make better vets. (Taking his word on that one, but i would agree because this sort of thing is not seen by surgeons etc)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
What are they supposed to do with all the dogs and cats, if not kill them?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
bigneh said:
WTF, it just shows they dont give a fuck about the animals, just getting a degree and making money. Ill use the example i used before, its like surgeons operating on and killing people for training, makes no sense. Lets save animals by learning to save them through killing them.
What you don't get is that these animals are going to be euthanised REGARDLESS. If a vet can learn more from a live body than a corpse, doesn't it kind of make sense that you wouldn't WASTE that animal's death?

Sure alot of them do end up being put down in the long run, im against euthanising animals in the first place, but using them for this vet training, especially pregnant dogs doesnt sit well with me.
So what do you do with the animals that aren't euthanised? Release them to the wild? House them in shelters for the rest of their natural lives?

You will find that once people can gain through exterminating these dogs, people will abuse this insentive and dogs who where not initially destined to be put down will end up in this uni.
Again with my previous comment. It's not like there's a shortage of homeless dogs.

I feel it does not give respect to these animals, putting them down in the first place is sad but cutting them right open with pups just pisses me off.
Would it respect them more to have them starve in the wild? Or to have them be euthanised anyway and just discarded?

As the opposition said in the article of the first post, these practises dont make or break a vet, they are not necessary at all and it doesnt make better vets. (Taking his word on that one, but i would agree because this sort of thing is not seen by surgeons etc)
It SHOULD be seen by surgeons, correct, but it doesn't mean that this practice is wrong or unethical.

I've dissected animals, and I have taken tissue samples from an anaesthetised cane toad before killing and then dissecting it, so I could learn from its biology. Is THAT wrong too? Or do you make a special exception for dogs because they're cute?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Kwayera said:
I've dissected animals, and I have taken tissue samples from an anaesthetised cane toad before killing and then dissecting it, so I could learn from its biology. Is THAT wrong too? Or do you make a special exception for dogs because they're cute?
THIS is the main problem, I think.

You can kill as many mice and cane toads as you want, but kill a dog for the same reason and people kick up a stink.

Roguedeth

HSC
I have done many dissections using worms, frogs, chickens and mice and it is very different compared to a textbook.

As long as Animal Ethics are being followed i have no objection to the use of animals. We use rats in experiments all the time and I dont see no one cry about them?

jimmayyy

HSC
yeah, exactly. i bet no one complaining in this thread has ever stepped on an ant or swatted a fly either. animal rights dont extend that far, huh?

its only "zogm, poor animals" when its a cute kitty or a puppy dog like the one they got for christmas.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
jimmayyy said:
yeah, exactly. i bet no one complaining in this thread has ever stepped on an ant or swatted a fly either. animal rights dont extend that far, huh?

its only "zogm, poor animals" when its a cute kitty or a puppy dog like the one they got for christmas.
Those kitten or puppies that they got for christmas and then sent to the pound, or the puppies and kittens they bred from their dog or cat, couldn't find a home for and THEN sent to the pound.

I don't understand people.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I had just as much of a problem with doing the cane toad thing in bio as I would with a dog. That's why I didn't do it. :D

scarybunny said:
I'm curious as to what people think should be done about the manymany animals that have no home.
and of the many many humans that have no home. careful there. ;)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I had just as much of a problem with doing the cane toad thing in bio as I would with a dog. That's why I didn't do it. :D

and of the many many humans that have no home. careful there. ;)

You'd be very surprised how ruthless I am.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
also: many people have a problem with testing/cutting up mice, rabbits, toads and whatever. that's why there's so many products that say 'not tested on animals'

Roguedeth

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
also: many people have a problem with testing/cutting up mice, rabbits, toads and whatever. that's why there's so many products that say 'not tested on animals'
pretty sure they'll change their mind when they're dying and the only thing that can cure them is something that has gone through non-clinical and clinical trials.

Nat3skiz

HSC
lol
Humans aren't cute and alot of people care if they're tested on.

Flies don't live very long productive lives, i don't think swatting them can really be a comparative arguement in this discussion.

If the dogs are to be euthanised regardless i guess in the name of science this is ok. But if some of these dogs have chances to find a home then i don't think its fair personally. Nope not a vegan.

You can't really judge the university until you know all the facts, so stabbing in the face won't really solve anything.

edit-spelling

Last edited:

Emma_Kate

HSC
Just thought I would point out an interesting concept. These live animals used by university's are not people's old pets, they are specifically bred, house and kept for the purpose of veterinary training. Veterinary schools are unable to use live animals from places like the pound/rspca as society looks down upon this practice, however many of those animals are simply euthanized as they cannot be re-homed. So instead vet schools are forced to bred there owns dogs for this practice - which in my opinion is such a waste of life, if only vet schools could use these unwanted animals humanly, many animals would not be subjected to euthanasia . So may I suggest that before people comment on the cruelty of this all, they realize that the unwanted euthanasia of half these animals could be stopped, if only society could realize the full story.

And to the individuals who likened this practice to student surgeons being able to kill their patients after a practice operation - vet students euthanize the animals in accordance WITH animal cruelty and welfare guidelines so that they do not suffer, vets are legally able to euthanize animals, surgeons are not. They are different scenarios, with different legal barriers and legislation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)