Doing a course without a definite career plan? (1 Viewer)

aliasfan

HSC
Is anyone else doing a course that may not get them a job straight away... I wanted to do B Science (Forensic Science) but the jobs dont seem to be very.... well there aint that many... Anyone else worried but wasting 4 years to do a degree...?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i always wanted to do forensics, ever since we started the option in chem. but yeah career prospects ain't that high :(

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Its a risk that you would have to take. There are risks in a lot of degrees. For example, any Lawyers should consider that there are way to many around Australia, and to be good is almost the only way to ensure a future.
Also people who started a Petroleum Engineering degree a couple of years ago are now going to be kicking themselves.
The est way to ensure a job is to get an honours that makes you stand out.
I thought it would have been cool to do forensics to just like CSI, then i realised i dont like chem i just like CSI.

hipPo3

HSC
politik said:
Well IT and Business is certainly picking up, so its not all that hard to choose. But the stigma of the 'dotcom crash' still haunts IT courses at Universities.
are you kidding ? IT is having a bad time.. programmers are a dime a dozen mate.

hipPo3

HSC
politik said:
You have no idea do you?

The demand of IT Managers and Certified Programmers far outweighs demand. IT is the sector to be in at the moment.
HAHAHA ...

The industry was on a downfall .. picking up aye.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
The demand far outweighs demand?????? how does that work. I thought as 1=1, demand=demand. lol

ioniser

HSC
best employment rates are in the medical stream such as doctors,pharmaicsts,dentists which have a short supply and 100 percent to get a job when you finish

except the courses are so high up to get into lol

hipPo3

HSC
ioniser said:
best employment rates are in the medical stream such as doctors,pharmaicsts,dentists which have a short supply and 100 percent to get a job when you finish

except the courses are so high up to get into lol
doctors as in just GP's ..

.. money isn't everything..
time is everything.

HSC
The Good University Guide is great, my careers advisor lent it to me yesterday and it has every field with career prospects and whether its worth it......very helpful.

Raginsheep

HSC
clue said:
i'm interested in optometry but i'm not sure about what the employment prospects are, does anyone know?
Employment opportunities? Look around. If you plan on working in any resonable metro area (in Sydney at least), I'd say supply > demand. In regional areas, Im guessing its a different story.

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
Anyone know about the career prospects/demands for genetics?

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
natstar said:
Any health related job in a rural area would have good employment prospects.
Thats for sure. Doctors, nurses, physios, speech pathologists, orthodontists... rural areas are short of everything. If you want to get into a health field, but are worried about employment prospects... don't be!

Alimoe_KG

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Won't the imminent retirement of the Baby Boomers mean our generation has more employment opportunities? :)
Yeah but mostly in trade related areas like... plumbers :p

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
clue said:
i'm interested in optometry but i'm not sure about what the employment prospects are, does anyone know?
Employment prospects are excellent.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Well, I'm hoping to get into B Arts & Sciences at Usyd, but I don't think there's much there in terms of a career (I could be wrong). I'm hoping/going to do it cause it sounds interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)