doing an odd number of units?? (1 Viewer)

anjalika9923

HSC
is it stupid to do 11 units for the hsc? I'm thinking of doing 4 unit maths and if I don't do horribly for 3u English this year I was thinking of doing it next year but I don't have another 1 unit subject so i'd have an odd number of units, is that a stupid idea??

_rakelt

HSC
No? I know so many friends that did 11 units and had no problems. My friend did 11 units and got dux?? Its perfectly normal lmao

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's perfectly fine I also did 11 units and got a high 99 ATAR

Zackeroo

HSC
Yeah it's perfectly fine I also did 11 units and got a high 99 ATAR
Wow, just wondering what was your study routine?? Did you even have a life outside school during the HSC year?? How did you manage it?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, just wondering what was your study routine?? Did you even have a life outside school during the HSC year?? How did you manage it?
I studied consistently throughout the year rather than doing large amounts of study in short periods of time. So for example I would study a few hours a day during the holidays as well, compared to just taking a break in that time period. That particularly helped me be ahead when I studied in the Christmas holidays period and improved my marks as I also did quite a bit of exam questions during that time. I ended up finishing notes for the next 2 modules for all my subjects apart from English which I just fixed essays on. Study routine is quite important but I also had a natural academic ability in my subjects so I was able to self-study, understand the content and write notes before in advance. So basically I spent the rest of the year just doing exam questions and improving my knowledge, rather than wasting time making notes during term.

This question is a bit dependent on the personality of the person and what they characterise as having a life and their goals post HSC. I had a lot of friends and was well known in my school year, but my immediate friend group we were all very focused to our academics and ambitions so we didn't really do things like have parties etc. That was just something in our personality I guess which we didn't do those kinds of things. We did go sometimes in holidays and stuff to movies etc. so yeah I would say I had a life but you have to make sacrifices during HSC year, you can go out, party etc. after HSC once you get to uni. That was particularly important kind of thought process for me because I was aiming to get scholarships and had goals of doing a phd, so the sacrifice was worth it, as now basically my degree is almost free.

In terms of managing it, it's obviously going to be a stressful year particularly during the exam periods and getting marks back. There's not much you can change about that and I would be lying if I didn't say it was stressful because it was very stressful. I was confident in my preparation so that was one way to manage it, since the HSC is not really something where they are going to throw you insanely different things each year. If you prepare to the syllabus and know your stuff you will probably perform well. Also, the culture in my school was one where we collaborated a lot and I had a good friend circle where we shared feedback and things, so that was quite helpful.

Zackeroo

HSC
I studied consistently throughout the year rather than doing large amounts of study in short periods of time. So for example I would study a few hours a day during the holidays as well, compared to just taking a break in that time period. That particularly helped me be ahead when I studied in the Christmas holidays period and improved my marks as I also did quite a bit of exam questions during that time. I ended up finishing notes for the next 2 modules for all my subjects apart from English which I just fixed essays on. Study routine is quite important but I also had a natural academic ability in my subjects so I was able to self-study, understand the content and write notes before in advance. So basically I spent the rest of the year just doing exam questions and improving my knowledge, rather than wasting time making notes during term.

This question is a bit dependent on the personality of the person and what they characterise as having a life and their goals post HSC. I had a lot of friends and was well known in my school year, but my immediate friend group we were all very focused to our academics and ambitions so we didn't really do things like have parties etc. That was just something in our personality I guess which we didn't do those kinds of things. We did go sometimes in holidays and stuff to movies etc. so yeah I would say I had a life but you have to make sacrifices during HSC year, you can go out, party etc. after HSC once you get to uni. That was particularly important kind of thought process for me because I was aiming to get scholarships and had goals of doing a phd, so the sacrifice was worth it, as now basically my degree is almost free.

In terms of managing it, it's obviously going to be a stressful year particularly during the exam periods and getting marks back. There's not much you can change about that and I would be lying if I didn't say it was stressful because it was very stressful. I was confident in my preparation so that was one way to manage it, since the HSC is not really something where they are going to throw you insanely different things each year. If you prepare to the syllabus and know your stuff you will probably perform well. Also, the culture in my school was one where we collaborated a lot and I had a good friend circle where we shared feedback and things, so that was quite helpful.
WOW!! Seems like you had it all under control and managed to have quite a balanced lifestyle. The addition that your friends were all very focused to academics and ambitions was amazing and would have allowed you to be able to focus throughout the year without many distractions from peers. Congrats, you seemed to have worked very hard and managed to make that work pay off :)

On the other hand, you did mention that you self-studied and understood the content throughout the holidays and in advance. I have wanted to do this at points, however, I haven't been able to find out where the best source of information is to get ahead throughout the holidays. The way which teachers present us with information is much easier, and I haven't found anywhere which can come close to this level of information. Where exactly did you source your information from? (P.S. I only have a textbook for one of my subjects)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
WOW!! Seems like you had it all under control and managed to have quite a balanced lifestyle. The addition that your friends were all very focused to academics and ambitions was amazing and would have allowed you to be able to focus throughout the year without many distractions from peers. Congrats, you seemed to have worked very hard and managed to make that work pay off :)

On the other hand, you did mention that you self-studied and understood the content throughout the holidays and in advance. I have wanted to do this at points, however, I haven't been able to find out where the best source of information is to get ahead throughout the holidays. The way which teachers present us with information is much easier, and I haven't found anywhere which can come close to this level of information. Where exactly did you source your information from? (P.S. I only have a textbook for one of my subjects)
Thanks for the congrats. Most of my subjects were in the science or maths area like chem, phys, maths advanced and extension, so the courses are very syllabus focused in that the syllabus dot points told you what you needed to know. So the textbooks were the first main source of information I used to make notes, where I'd write notes for each syllabus dot point to make sure I was addressing all the things.

Syllabuses may have changed for some subjects since then, but since my syllabus hadn't really changed in 10 years when I did HSC I found a lot of notes online from past hsc students who got good marks and I used those as well to see what kinds of things were important to know. Other than that I did past paper questions from sites like THSC online.

Zackeroo

HSC
Thanks for the congrats. Most of my subjects were in the science or maths area like chem, phys, maths advanced and extension, so the courses are very syllabus focused in that the syllabus dot points told you what you needed to know. So the textbooks were the first main source of information I used to make notes, where I'd write notes for each syllabus dot point to make sure I was addressing all the things.

Syllabuses may have changed for some subjects since then, but since my syllabus hadn't really changed in 10 years when I did HSC I found a lot of notes online from past hsc students who got good marks and I used those as well to see what kinds of things were important to know. Other than that I did past paper questions from sites like THSC online.
Alright perfect... Thanks a lot for the long, detailed replies. You took the approach towards your HSC which I would see as my dream approach which I wish I could manage to achieve. I talked to my friends about this whole thing and we have all planned to absolutely grind the next term and boost our marks up... I'll definitely aim to use some of your techniques to stay ahead

I just joined this forum today, and so far have only met people who I could relate and learn from. I'm quite happy I stumbled upon you... Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)