Doing both histories (1 Viewer)

evasharman

HSC
Hello, I've seen about 100 of these threads before but I can't seem to find them all! Anyway, I was just looking for some advice about doing both histories. I'm going to change from Geography to Ancient because I think I'll find Ancient more interesting!

Anyway, just looking for some advice on:
- Do you think this is a good idea? My other subjects are in my signature
- Is it really hard to balance the two histories?
- Do you think I can do it? How many minutes/hours a night should I be studying for each one ?
- What is the best way to study for history ?

Anyway I really love history but I don't really know if this post should go for here (prelim) or in the history section. Any advice at all about year 11 in general is appreciated as well! Thanks a lot!

enoilgam

HSC
1) If you think you will do better in Ancient and like it more than Geography, then it is the right choice.
2) It's easy, people do it all the time. They have good crossover in terms of skills, so they can actually compliment each other.
3) See the previous answer. Study is very much dependent on the person - it depends what you need. Also, it's better for study to be goal oriented as opposed to time oriented.
4) Again, it depends on what works for you. Generally speaking, with history, you need to get the content down (usually through notes) before proceeding on to practice responses.

I think that there is this belief out there held by Junior students that doing multiple sciences, histories etc isnt a good idea. The truth is, it's just like doing any other subject really. You shouldnt be afraid to do what you enjoy and what you are good at - in all likelihood, this will help you get the best ATAR possible.

Anyway, hopefully that helps!

evasharman

HSC
Thank you very much for your response! I think I'm going to do both of them after all :)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hello, I've seen about 100 of these threads before but I can't seem to find them all! Anyway, I was just looking for some advice about doing both histories. I'm going to change from Geography to Ancient because I think I'll find Ancient more interesting!

Anyway, just looking for some advice on:
- Do you think this is a good idea? My other subjects are in my signature
- Is it really hard to balance the two histories?
- Do you think I can do it? How many minutes/hours a night should I be studying for each one ?
- What is the best way to study for history ?

Anyway I really love history but I don't really know if this post should go for here (prelim) or in the history section. Any advice at all about year 11 in general is appreciated as well! Thanks a lot!
1. Honestly, if you thoroughly enjoy all your subjects, you won't /really/ realise the workload. What I mean is that, you'll be enjoying yourself to the point where the workload doesn't seem impossible and because you like your subject, you're more inclined to do it.
2. I don't think its hard to balance any subjects (possibly with the exception of 4u math + eng) if you manage your time well.
3. I don't know you personally, so I can't say if you can do it or not. But generally, anyone can do it, if you put your mind to it :) I personally don't do history, so I can't give you any solid advice about how long you need to study for either. To be honest, the amount of study you need to do is in proportional to the work you need to do. I don't there's a set "period" of time where you have to do work. In year 11, I would probably "study" like 3-4 hours a day. It's remained like that for year 12 as well, sometimes it goes up to 4-6 hours, depending on the amount of work I need to do.
4. Sorry I don't do history, but I know there's a lot of date memorisation haha

Best of luck :)

enoilgam

HSC
4. Sorry I don't do history, but I know there's a lot of date memorisation haha
I think this has to be one of the biggest misconceptions regarding history. Knowing dates is nice and shows that you have a solid knowledge of the content, markers are looking for your analysis and ability to produce a sustain response. Memorising arcane facts like dates wont get you very far (if anywhere) in Modern.

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
I think this has to be one of the biggest misconceptions regarding history. Knowing dates is nice and shows that you have a solid knowledge of the content, markers are looking for your analysis and ability to produce a sustain response. Memorising arcane facts like dates wont get you very far (if anywhere) in Modern.
Thank goodness for that ^_^!

gleeek

HSC
I did 2 histories, scored a band 6 in them both without studying and stressing excessively. In saying that, it definitely it a challenge, yet a very conquerable one. Also, in my experience, they will provide you you with valuable information and just blunt ignorance. I didn't do specific amount of study per night, I just studied as much as I deemed necessary given assessments tasks, exams and general study. I'd say, however, at least 4/5 hours a week on each, give or take, depending on the situation. It's a thing of what works for you- different people have different capabilities and needs. All in all, I strongly suggest doing both histories if you enjoy them and believe you will perform well in them. With enough motivation and determination, + hard work, you will achieve the results you desire and deserve :) All the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)