• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Doing fundamentals or normal maths (1 Viewer)

chocolatemilk1

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
I am planning to do a maths./stats major but I'm not sure which maths subj to do in first year. I only did 2u maths back in high school and got a band 6 90.

I was thinking of doing the normal units, since it is recommended for a maths/stats major but the normal maths subjects MATH1001,MATH1002 has Ext 1 maths as assumed knowledge so I'm not sure whether i should choose it or not.

So should I do the fundamentals or normal maths subject ?

Would normal maths be too hard for me since i didn't do Ext 1 maths and would i be fcuked in 2nd yr maths if only i did fundamentals maths?

watsthebuzz

HSC
Yeah, Normal Maths would proabaly be really hard since you didnt do Ext1. Why didn't you do Ext 1 maths if you want to do a maths/stats major? Was it a recent decision? Maybe you should try a bridging course.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I only did ext 1 for the preliminary and didn't get a mark as good as yours in the HSC for 2 unit. I did the normal level and didn't find it THAT bad for first semester. Second semester was harder. I only got 1 credit and 3 passes for maths, but if I got that I'm sure you'd do a lot better. It can be done...

claireveronica

HSC
N/A
Don't know if you solved this...but. You need to be in normal or advanced math, or you will be rooted in second year. If you chose fundamental, shift up. It'll be painful for a bit, but you'll survive. I don't have the prerec either, but there's always maths learning centre. And effort. You can do it without the assumed knowledge, it's just...harder. But linear algebra and stats need very little maths you won't have covered. If you did 2u recently you'll be fine, I think. Get a copy of the bridging notes, or the excel study guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)