Doing Post Grad directly after Undergrad? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Is this recommended why, or why not?

Some programs which interest me:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/information/future-students/postgrad-coursework/programs/

http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Master-of-Information-Technology

3 drawbacks I see:

a) I'm most likely going to have full-time employment after my undergrad degree, giving no time for post grad study.
b) It cost around 27 grand.
c) I may not be eligible for Engineering Sciences (InfTech) as I'm coming from a B.InfTech degree and not an engineering degree.

So is MIT worth it? It looks like a rehashed version of my current IT undergrad course. :/

I wanted that computer science background, but am unsure which pathway to take, or if there is any pathway for this post grad option.

Thank you.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Why are you interested in doing postgrad in the first place?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Because my current undergrad course doesn't let me major, and I want to focus my studies on development. IT is very broad and while it still allows you to focus on development roles, it isn't highly regarded by industry as a degree dedicated to 'Software Development' within some companies, thus why I'm looking for that CS or Software Engineering backing.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
At the end of the day, it's up to you as to whether further study is worth it or not. If you're having doubts already, it would definitely be worth doing a bit more research before deciding.

One trouble I find with people who do post grad straight away is that by the time they finish studying, they're in their late 20s with very little or no employment experience in the 'real world' which can be discouraging for employers. A large number of people choose to do post-grad study part-time so they can hold down a job (this also helps with the cost of the course), or work for a couple of years before returning to uni to pursue further study.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
At the end of the day, it's up to you as to whether further study is worth it or not. If you're having doubts already, it would definitely be worth doing a bit more research before deciding.

One trouble I find with people who do post grad straight away is that by the time they finish studying, they're in their late 20s with very little or no employment experience in the 'real world' which can be discouraging for employers. A large number of people choose to do post-grad study part-time so they can hold down a job (this also helps with the cost of the course), or work for a couple of years before returning to uni to pursue further study.
Yeah I can understand that.

I will finish my undergrad course when I'm 21, post grad is only an extra year of study, or I could undertake honors. (What's the difference between Honors and Masters?) Is Honors of less value to Masters? Looks like Honors only gives me the choice to do a thesis, doesn't look really interesting for me.

Another thing, like you said is the cost. It costs a whooping 27-30 grand for this 1 year of postgraduate study. I've looked at the course content for some MIT courses, and a lot of them offer the same rehashed subjects which I'm doing now in my undergrad IT course. I can't really see the value. Although they do let you choose a stream.

I honestly couldn't be bothered/motivated going back to uni if I start full-time employment. The whole reason I want to do the postgrad option is so I can get into a role I enjoy in development. I have some work experience behind me. (2 IT internships to be precise, + casual roles here and there).

It's either do a postgrad course, do another bachelors, or change my current course ASAP.

The only benefits I see with doing a postgrad, is that I will hopefully meet more like minded people with great minds and possibly form your own start-up like many have done in the past.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Yeah I can understand that.

I will finish my undergrad course when I'm 21, post grad is only an extra year of study, or I could undertake honors. (What's the difference between Honors and Masters?) Is Honors of less value to Masters? Looks like Honors only gives me the choice to do a thesis, doesn't look really interesting for me.
An honours year often follows on from undergrad study, whereas for a masters, you don't always need to have studied the area in your undergrad. Eg to do an english honours, you need to have done english lit in undergrad. But if you had done an economics degree in undergrad, you could do a masters in english.

Another thing, like you said is the cost. It costs a whooping 27-30 grand for this 1 year of postgraduate study. I've looked at the course content for some MIT courses, and a lot of them offer the same rehashed subjects which I'm doing now in my undergrad IT course. I can't really see the value. Although they do let you choose a stream.
So, uh, don't do it?

I honestly couldn't be bothered/motivated going back to uni if I start full-time employment. The whole reason I want to do the postgrad option is so I can get into a role I enjoy in development. I have some work experience behind me. (2 IT internships to be precise, + casual roles here and there).

It's either do a postgrad course, do another bachelors, or change my current course ASAP.

The only benefits I see with doing a postgrad, is that I will hopefully meet more like minded people with great minds and possibly form your own start-up like many have done in the past.
You can't rely on hopefully meeting more like-minded people. It doesn't always work out that way. Perhaps there's a means by which you can meet people like that currently (joining societies, perhaps the faculty offers some programs for interested students?)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
An honours year often follows on from undergrad study, whereas for a masters, you don't always need to have studied the area in your undergrad. Eg to do an english honours, you need to have done english lit in undergrad. But if you had done an economics degree in undergrad, you could do a masters in english.
Ahk that explains why introductory subjects are taught in MIT. "Assume nothing, teach everything from the ground up again."

So, uh, don't do it?
Yeah I probably won't. I'm probably over thinking this CS and SENG thing. There doesn't seem to be a pure CS or Software Engineering Postgrad course. I can't find them anywhere. They are only available as undergrad. (I've searched this for years).

You can't rely on hopefully meeting more like-minded people. It doesn't always work out that way. Perhaps there's a means by which you can meet people like that currently (joining societies, perhaps the faculty offers some programs for interested students?)
I never said to rely on. I've met heaps of great people in my undergrad course already. It's just I was hoping postgrad people would have a more 'sense of maturity' as many years have passed since their undergrad studies and have had more industry experience.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Experience in IT is worth a lot more than a degree.

There are places which will let you work full time/study part time if you bring it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)