Doing subjects just cause they scale well... why? (1 Viewer)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Doing subjects just cause they scale well... why?

I've heard that some pl just do certain subjects just because of the scaling...Is this true?
Apparently some ppl do Latvian continuers, and Modern Greek just because it scales well, and having nothing to do with the fact they some ppl do not like languages/arent good at the subject.
Why?
Why just do a subject just because of scaling?
Do ppl have the opinion that they will eventally do well in the subject or is it that they hope that the scaling will carry them to band 6 when they get 60%??
What is the reasoning behind this? :p
Its prob some hell bent ppl who want to get a UAI of 100 no matter what...
I honestly have no idea and personally have only heard about this...
What do u know about this and what do u think??

v sia

HSC
well the obvious reason is they want to do well.

Think about it this way , whats the main point of going primary school , high school , year 11 , 12 ??? obviously to do the HSC or school certificate and hopefully do well enough to get into the particular job that you've been dreaming or that pays well.

Their is usually a debate of either

- Picking subjects that you really enjoy
- Picking subjects that mark well

I say pick the inbetween subjects or have a mix of each 3 that u like 3 that mark well

illin

Ill factor
HSC
But how can u guarantee that
you will get a good mark for subjects u dont even like but scale well
or subjects u like but suck at and scale well
or just do subjects for scaling and fail miserably
I cant c the reasoning behind this... Should ppl do what they're good at or do what they like? I dunno I just give up with these ppl

*Pooja*

hmm...ur enquiry is quite broadly based. but frankly, any1 who does a course just for scaling adn not bcos they like it sucks big time!!!
yes i do know of a couple of dimwits that did that - and they happen t be in my grade. i only started at my school in yr 11 and there are ppl (im not naming any!) that have sucked up to the teacher and stuff and did well. i think its quite crabby but no-one really cares.....
however there r ppl like me who are doing high scaling subjects eg 4U maths and have been close to failing it all year but i have persisted and kept it till the end cos i liked it!!!...though it may seem crazy....
the ppl that want the 100 - hmm unless theyre going for med or law or combining actuarial with something else like in mac uni (99."sumthing" of an uai) - then i really dont see why theyre stressing themselves out so much. its a weird thing...

CONCLUDING STATEMENT:
any1 that picks to do a course purely because it scales high is a MORON!!!!!!!! No-one shud ever fall into the trap of doing that coz its STUPID!!!! and with the uai's going up each yr the last thing u want is to pick high scaling subjects and do shit in it and flunk out with ur uai.

so yeah.

i may update my opinion in the future.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Pooja im so with u
Im picking up 4u maths because i like maths and i am good at maths
I caned the yr11 exams and i think i will do well
but for the people who do Latvian and modern greek cause it scales well...well u have to be very keen cause not many ppl would do the two subjects who are no greek and/or latvian
I hate stupid people!

*Pooja*

true true. beside learning a new language requires much dedication and concentration that sum ppl may have to spend more time focussing on the language than their other subjects hence conclusively degrading their performance in those other subjects.

(sorry i went off on a tangent there with formal english...)

mack

Banned
HSC
Its not a good idea to choose subjects you dont like merely because of scaling, if you perform poorly in a sub scaling wont help you.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
*Pooja* said:
true true. beside learning a new language requires much dedication and concentration that sum ppl may have to spend more time focussing on the language than their other subjects hence conclusively degrading their performance in those other subjects.

(sorry i went off on a tangent there with formal english...)
well i am doing 2 languages 4 the HSC nxt yr and i think i spend the least time on them! also i do not do them bcoz the scale well coz they dont really!!!

PPL dont fall into the trap of doing subjects coz they scale well... by all means if you are good at them go for it however doing something u r not good at has dire effects e.g if everyone in ext 1 maths gets between 70 - 100 and u got 40 - 50 scalling will NOT SAVE U!

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
well i do chemistry sort of coz it scales well but not compltely. i think i was tossing between chem and textiles ( and i liked both and got same marks in both so i picked chem)
dont do stuff ro scaling but if ur tossing up and have a high scler and a low scaler .. seriously consider the high one ...

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
well i do chemistry sort of coz it scales well but not compltely. i think i was tossing between chem and textiles ( and i liked both and got same marks in both so i picked chem)
dont do stuff ro scaling but if ur tossing up and have a high scler and a low scaler .. seriously consider the high one ...

also when i get fed up with chem or think i am crap the teachers say dont worry coz when i get uai it will all be good :)

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
there is a girl at our school who does it ( high scalers) 3 u maths 3 u eng and chem etc, and she is failing coa she is stupid. but if u r cpable then it may be worth doing high scalers for marks

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
v sia said:
Think about it this way , whats the main point of going primary school , high school , year 11 , 12 ???
To learn for life. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to seriously rethink their view towards both school and life.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mack said:
Its not a good idea to choose subjects you dont like merely because of scaling, if you perform poorly in a sub scaling wont help you.
very true...I must confess I may have picked chem cos it scales, but I thought I might need it if I was going to do something sciency at uni.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
i think its stupid

if you do subjects you dont enjoy its alot harder to study for them, ALOT harder. that'll end up getting you average marks. if you do things you like you'll study easier, get better marks and up with a better UAI

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
yeah but everyone practically makes mistakes, so 95 in business studies and 95 in chem .. there is a slight difference

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
yeah but everyone practically makes mistakes, so 95 in business studies and 95 in chem .. there is a slight difference between the 2

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
illin said:
Doing subjects just cause they scale well... why?

I've heard that some pl just do certain subjects just because of the scaling...Is this true?
Apparently some ppl do Latvian continuers, and Modern Greek just because it scales well, and having nothing to do with the fact they some ppl do not like languages/arent good at the subject.
Why?
Why just do a subject just because of scaling?
Do ppl have the opinion that they will eventally do well in the subject or is it that they hope that the scaling will carry them to band 6 when they get 60%??
What is the reasoning behind this? :p
Its prob some hell bent ppl who want to get a UAI of 100 no matter what...
I honestly have no idea and personally have only heard about this...
What do u know about this and what do u think??

This is probably the 4th reason on the "WHY DO I DO A SUBJECT" list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)