Doing the HSC at TAFE (1 Viewer)

BlameGame

HSC
Hi I'm looking at retaking the HSC at TAFE for 2011 and I could be starting in February. But I understand TAFE will be a totally different environment to school. This could be challenging but also a good thing I think. Has anyone done the HSC at TAFE and knows what this will be like? Or know of someone who has and been told what its like? Also does anyone know whether achieving a high ATAR at TAFE is possible regardless of how much effort you put in in getting a high assessment rank? I'm talking about achieving a 90+ ATAR. I am really concerned and confused, I will be appreciative of any comment left.

(EDIT)

BTW would be I be penalised for having done the HSC so recently? ...

Last edited:

ibbi00

HSC
I myself have completed 2 units of mathematics (combined year) at Tafe last year, everything else I done at school. I would come for 4 hours at night once a week. Generally HSC students at Tafe are mainly mature students who have jobs and are only looking for a pass as part of a requirement for some course they're involved in so it isn't as competitive as school. And as such you have to maintain a first rank for all your subjects to have a shot at 90+. You must also be wary of getting complacent, even if you excel in your assessments, as this may give you a false sense of security - remember you are in competition with some 70,000 kids not just your class. Also, if you're learning the subject from scratch then a tutor comes highly recommended because you'd be learning things at very fast pace, especially if you're doing a combined year (prelim + HSC) subject. Remember that your cohort will not bring you down as long as you are ranked first, otherwise there are no guarantees. I have also heard of people that have done all their subjects at Tafe and ended up with 99+ UAI's so it is up to you. What Tafe are you planning on doing this at?

BlameGame

HSC
Thanks for the response ibbi - I'm planning to go to Ultimo TAFE near Broadway. It's a nice place, I've heard good things. But I understand what your saying about striving for 1st rank for security. Do you think it's unwise for me to be taking 4 unit maths and physics as subjects? I know I shouldn't be picking subjects that scale well but I am very determined and ambitious. I'm planning to have private tutors and a rigid work schedule. I've only just finished the HSC this year in 2 unit, and although I didn't perform well in the final exam I feel like i covered the modules fairly well.

Also what was your experience like? Were the classes at TAFE performed similarly to school?

ibbi00

HSC
Yea do 4U and all, go for gold I reckon, as long as you have a tutor for the harder subjects. Classes weren't that different from school although they were less strict. You're pretty much treated as the adult you are unlike school. I also remember reading that Ultimo Tafe had an all rounder this year so it's definitely looking like a good place for your HSC.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm sure you can do it. If you have the ambition and determination, you can get good marks. My maths tutor told me of someone he tutored who did the exact same thing. He was getting 82's and 83's for 2 Unit, then he got my math tutor to help him when he did 3U and 4U and after a year of hard study at TAFE and being 1st ranked, he ended up with 95 and 96 respectively for each.

BlameGame

HSC
Do you guys suggest any good supplement books for 4u and 3u as well as chemistry? I've heard things about cambridge, is that the one to go for? Also thanks for your responses newi and ibbi, it's hard to tell yourself your going to do the HSC again after just completing it! But sounds like you guys think TAFE will be okay.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you guys suggest any good supplement books for 4u and 3u as well as chemistry? I've heard things about cambridge, is that the one to go for? Also thanks for your responses newi and ibbi, it's hard to tell yourself your going to do the HSC again after just completing it! But sounds like you guys think TAFE will be okay.
Terry Lee Advanced Mathematics

straightdown

HSC
I did my HSC at TAFE this year. I got 91 in Business Studies, 89 General Mathematics, 86 Legal Studies, 74 Modern History & 71 Standard English. I was ranked first in all my subjects except for General Maths which I was ranked 2nd. The teachers at TAFE are great & are very dedicated in providing an education for THOSE who want to learn. My ATAR was 79.55 with an average amount of study. I know 3 people this year who attained an ATAR of 90+ from my Campus & 1 person who attained an ATAR in the 80's. There may have been a few more as well! So it is very likely you will have a great chance of gaining an ATAR of 90 or more, providing you study on a regular basis (but don't forget to have a balanced lifestyle). Wish you the best of luck!

P.S Never went to Ultimo so don't know what the teachers are like but I'm sure they're just as good as teachers in other TAFE's. :)

Last edited:

BlameGame

HSC
Thanks omni, looks i'm going to have to go shopping for that :D, and thanks straight. Makes me feel more assured i want to this. Hope you got into the course you wanted! Best of luck for the future.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks omni, looks i'm going to have to go shopping for that :D, and thanks straight. Makes me feel more assured i want to this. Hope you got into the course you wanted! Best of luck for the future.
Thanks. Good luck aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)