Doing the sums - does a private education add up? (1 Viewer)

Annihilist

HSC
If you would say this you probably dont know many people who go to religious (particularly christian) school.

I know from my own experience and the knowledge of other schools that chrsitian schools dont practice 'indoctriantion' but just
ramble on the same religous bullshit year after year and everybody ignores it.

SOme people take to the religious shit, but religious people are part of life, you probably have friends who are christian or islamic or jewish.
I do.

And as for 'sex before marriage shit' I can i with 100% certainty than not one boy in my year would turn down down sex because of 'god'
True, true.

Bathsheba

HSC
N/A
Some families choose to send their kids to Independent schools so that they develop religious tolerance through understanding.

Many government schools lack any kind of information sharing on any faith... so the kids grow up suspicious of religion. Whether any faith is "right" or "wrong" is beside the point. The reality is that we live in a world where the majority have faith in some form of God/superior entity and increasing tolerance through understanding is going to bring us closer to being able to live peacefully with each other... not trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

Also apparently going to school in a clean, attractive and respected environment helps kids to learn because this positive environment reinforces that they are valued. Putting kids in run-down classrooms with broken facilities is a non-verbal way of saying "You are not important enough". This makes kids resentful... and many start to believe what their environment is telling them.

Also, I see lots of parallels between private/public healthcare and private/public education. Everyone deserves the best of both these services... and no one should ever have to choose an inferior service for a "principle". So many people try to convince me that I don't deserve the best education and should go to public school out of principle. To me this is like saying "Oh no, I won't use that private hospital... I'll just wait on this 3 year waiting list and make do in the public hospital system because it's unfair to everyone else... even though if I make enough financial sacrifices i could afford to be treated tomorrow in a good, well run, clean private hospital. The martyr philosophy just isn't logical.

I believe if everyone paid a bit more than the public "voluntary" fee for public education they would see a massive improvement. I know for a fact that the voluntary school fee at my brother's school is only $50 a year... and that only 28% of families pay it! THAT demonstrates how much the average family values a good education. Even people on social security payments spend more than $50 a year on entertainment... hmmmm.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
parents hate their children and so send them to public schools

parents then hate their children because they'll never amount to anything because they went to a public school

it's a vicious cycle.

theycallmebob

HSC
Many government schools lack any kind of information sharing on any faith... so the kids grow up suspicious of religion. Whether any faith is "right" or "wrong" is beside the point. The reality is that we live in a world where the majority have faith in some form of God/superior entity and increasing tolerance through understanding is going to bring us closer to being able to live peacefully with each other... not trying to pretend it doesn't exist.
lol

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
It's not the schools' fault

Anyone who grows up alongside public school kids can't possibly believe a loving god designed the world

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
research shows children who go to all-white schools (private) have a better opinion of blacks than children who go to mixed race schhols (public)

so if you want your kids to grow up to be diversity-loving swpls then send them to private school

Bathsheba

HSC
N/A
That's actually incorrect Sylvester. Our family has moved from Inner Melbourne to rural NSW. The private school in Melbourne was very culturally diverse. The public high school in rural NSW is much more Anglo. Sweeping generalisation.

What I keep wondering: if people really want the public system to improve then why don't they pay the pittance voluntary fee? I just don't "get" why people ark up about paying ANYTHING for an education. You have to pay to stay alive... you have to pay to eat... to keep warm... for medicine... why do some people dig their heels in about paying to learn? I understand that it should be affordable to all... BUT people don't seem to just want it to be affordable they want it to be totally FREE. it's just odd.

Lentern

HSC
research shows children who go to all-white schools (private) have a better opinion of blacks than children who go to mixed race schhols (public)

so if you want your kids to grow up to be diversity-loving swpls then send them to private school
Lot of asians in private schools 'ctually.

Bathsheba

HSC
N/A
This is true Lentern.

Cultural acceptance is more about the area/suburb/region you live in rather than the school you go to.... and even more your parents attitudes to diversity. I've learnt that since I moved to Redneck Wonderland (rural NSW).

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Lot of gays in private schools
this is true.

people tend to be more open about it in co-ed schools and in single-sex schools it is quite common too from what i have heard, but not as "open"

Lentern

HSC
this is true.

people tend to be more open about it in co-ed schools and in single-sex schools it is quite common too from what i have heard, but not as "open"
I think single sex schools are almost uniformly religious where coming out is a bit more difficult, proportionately secular private schools I reckon have a much higher ration of open homosexuals than public schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)