Doing Vid for Ext2 - General Questions (1 Viewer)

Cythen

HSC
Hey guys - just started extension 2 and after being lost for ideas got inspired into doing a video. I understand most of it (having read the syllabus) and have the resources and skills to undertake the project. However I've got some general questions regarding the final product:

1. Are there any restrictions on the non-original content (eg. music) that can be used?

2. After submitting the video, am I free to exhibit it as I please?

3. After submitting the video, am I free to re-edit the credits to properly credit all involved and myself (for non-HSC viewing)?

4. After submitting the video, am I free to distribute the piece (non-profit) to members of my cast/crew and maybe my school?

Some questions that have been plaguing me. Am absolutely stoked at the idea of making my first proper short.

Answers are much appreciated and best of luck to all other ext2 students.

Cheers!

(w00t! first post :D)

HSC
N/A
I can't answer #1 off the top of my head, but post-submission you can do whatever you like with the video :) (except hand it in as a uni assessment, perhaps)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Cythen said:
Hey guys - just started extension 2 and after being lost for ideas got inspired into doing a video. I understand most of it (having read the syllabus) and have the resources and skills to undertake the project. However I've got some general questions regarding the final product:

1. Are there any restrictions on the non-original content (eg. music) that can be used?

2. After submitting the video, am I free to exhibit it as I please?

3. After submitting the video, am I free to re-edit the credits to properly credit all involved and myself (for non-HSC viewing)?

4. After submitting the video, am I free to distribute the piece (non-profit) to members of my cast/crew and maybe my school?

Some questions that have been plaguing me. Am absolutely stoked at the idea of making my first proper short.

Answers are much appreciated and best of luck to all other ext2 students.

Cheers!

(w00t! first post :D)
To my knowledge students own artistic copyrights on their own submissions so 2 - 4 is a yes.

Regarding the first, there are probably two issues that you must confront; that of the syllabus/marking and that of copyrights. With the syllabus you obviously wouldn't be marked on the artistic integrity of whatever you used on its own basis but how it contributed (or didn't contribute) to the 'goal' of your composition. For example, if you choose to include a track of french arias you cannot be marked for how well those arias are sung, you would instead be marked on the creative decision to use them where they were used. However I personally wouldn't overdo it in including non-original content - if you include too much content from others then you employ less artistic directive (and thus be marked on less).

The copyright issues are slightly different - as students (or teachers for that matter) we have a limited degree of latitude in how we may employ others work (so long as the original composer is referenced) that the general artistic population lacks. However I'm not at all sure what degree of impact the use of a piece of music (without permission from original artist) would have on your ability to distribute it for non-educational purposes.

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

1. There are no restrictions on the music you choose. Copyright generally isn't an issue with EXE2.

2. You can do whatever you want with your film once everything has cooled off. Be aware, however, that if you choose to exhibit your film in other places (such as film festivals etc) after you've handed it in then you are required to get copyright clearance (pricey) or royalty free music. Any festival you enter requires this. Also, you might want to get clearance from anyone who was involved in the film before you exhibit it. On any shoot of mine this is done before filming commences in the form of a 'release form' detailing the person's relationship to the film (eg: will recieve no money should it make money or will recieve 10% of profits etc). This is often a requirement for festivals and also clears up any problems in the future regarding who gets the share of prizes, profits etc.

3. Yep. But only do this after the film has been marked as you want to preserve your anonymity until everything has cooled off.

4. Distribute it to whoever you want. You can even distribute it FOR profit to cast/crew (however this is kinda tight fisted!)

As for Kami's comment on overdoing non-original (music) content - I wouldn't feel restricted by this. I've heard of various teachers telling students things like "you shouldn't have any more than X amount of songs in your video". Rubbish, have as many as you want - as long as it fits. If your film needs 20, go for it, if it needs 1 - go for it etc. You can't tell an artist that he can only use 5 colours of paints.

And as for Glitterfairy's comment about not using it for a uni assignment - lets not rule anything out here! Desperate times call for desperate measures! :)

Good luck,

Christiaan.

P.S. If you need an experienced EXE2 (video) tutor I'm your guy. I take students through everything from pre-production, production, right up to post production. Theoretical and hands-on training as well as video production services should you need a professional crew / equipment for your film. Any questions, please email writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com (note that the gaps are underscores _ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)