Doing Well? Someone else doing well? Brag Here!! (1 Viewer)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
A bit of shock treatment for me. I need help with motivation. So i'm going to compare myself to some higher beings.

Someone studying ungodly hours? Getting basically 100% for everything?

Anything. Here. Please.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i kill myself from studying and i lack results :D does that help? :p

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
hehe! :p I was hoping more for something along the lines of "this girl in our year studies 8 hours a day and works part-time and is volunteer charity worker of the year and first in every subject"

or

"i can study without procrastinating and i aim and acheive goals - passing with flying colours. SAM gave me an estimate of 99.98 from my trials results."

Something really really good, so i realise the competition and kick myself up the ass (uncomforting thought.) and study alot harder. :rolleyes:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I study on average 7 hours a day, 9 on weekends.

I need no additional motivation other than my goal of an UAI of 100. I have recieved 99-100% for each of my assessments this year - I do 12 units.

I hang around a group of friends who speak of nothing but studying. We swap notes every recess and lunchtime.

I'm currently ranked 1st in my grade. I attend James Ruse Agricultural High School.

Is that what you wanted? :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Argonaut said:
And then she woke up ...
Shush. Let me sleep.

Anyway, to the threadstarter. Here's some real advice from a selective-school student who is doing reasonably well but has made countless mistakes in the past (such as not turning up for two assessments because she slept in... but that was last year).
  • For maths and science subjects, do a lot of exercises. If you don't understand something, don't skip it.
  • For english, practise writing essays under a time limit. Write sample essays or answer extended-response questions from past papers and ask your teacher to mark them.
  • For languages, practise speaking with friends, and start a diary in which you talk in that language only.
  • Never forget when your exams are, or turn up on the wrong day to the wrong exam. Yes, it's funny now, but just wait till you're standing in front of the deputy, explaining why you showed up 5 hours late...
Other than that, if you have exams tomorrow, get off BoS and revise. Good luck. ;)

Mandy101

HSC
I study consistently and am ranked 1st in three subjects, does that help?

HSC
Im coming, about 1st-2nd for about 3 subjects and the top 5 for the other two.......
Helping yet?

Oh btw, my schools shit, western suburbs, public, and weve neva had more then two ppl a year get 90+ uai.......... so maybe just read Dreamrish's one :D

Libbster

HSC
I leave all my study to the last minute and are currently 1st in four subjects, 2nd in one and 3rd in another. Just ignore english because it is crap (9th :p )

Libbster

HSC
Dreamerish, I commend you on your effort!! You have now given me motivation *goes away and studies* lol

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I got 15/15 for my legal studies assessment, which was a hand-in essay of 2000-2500 words in length. I think my essay is being photocopied as a example to future years. :D
unfortunately that was only 1 of 2 assessable tasks which i got 100% in, the other being a task 3 maths exam. shame both were only worth 10-15%

Pace_T

HSC
im coming first in 6 out of 7 of my subjects
last yr i was ranked around 30 in the grade lol.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Lol, you smart cookies! Thanks to all for the help.

Dreamerish: Thankyou. I never thought of the journal idea for French - I'll give it a go. And yes, that is exactly what I wanted!

Argonaut: Yep, Panic is the way to go! But lately I can't even make myself panic. Crazy. I just sit back and get into a relaxed, not caring state. Even when I had an ee1 thing due on Friday that I still haven't finished (Its sunday night, 2 days after it was due - and i'm 100% calm).

Libbster: Last minute is my style too - not too worry!

Jago: Hehe, that is a terrible shame. (It'd be right though. Pah!)

Keep it coming!

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
^^^ Pace T is a champ - hes a smart one
@ Jago i got 25/25 for a consumers essay and my teacher photocopied it and gave it to both classes
also in my crime assessment last year (first term of yr12) i got 20/20 and she did the same
too bad that they werent weighted much :(

Last year my teacher gave me a double friday detention for jigging her legal class LOL

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah that's heaps cool. you're aceing legal, there's some crazy competition in my school though...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
A bit of shock treatment for me. I need help with motivation. So i'm going to compare myself to some higher beings.

Someone studying ungodly hours? Getting basically 100% for everything?

Anything. Here. Please.

How i motivate myslef...

well basically in my diary... i record every single assessment result.. and next to each i record the result of who ever comes first.. luckily enough for me it's the same person topping all my subjects...

i use it to compare and monitor improvement in assessments, whether my mark has increased or decreased ... so far it's worked exetermely well for maths and physics...

her lowest assessment mark all year is 93% and highest being 100%.. she's achieved 100% for either 5 or 6 assessments...

her assessment averages

advanced english is - 98.3%
english extension - 100%
maths advanced - 99.3%
maths ext 1 - 98.5 % (approx)
physics- 95%
chemistry- 95% (approx)

what keeps me motivated?... knowing she's a hard worker and not a bludger
does she study?..... yes!!! quite alot actually... she's also school vice captain...
I don't know much about her socical life or study habits.. so i can't tell u much there.. but i think once i heard she did study up to 5+ hours a day...

as for me.. i do loads of study and i find it pays off in all my subjects except chemistry...

Anyways.. as i said this has kept me motivated the whole year.. and it continues to do just that...

EDIT: oh and one more thing... something u could have doen earlier in the year.. i made good use of msn.. adding as many smart ppl to my list and almost blocking everyone else...

i grabbed hold of a few bos members who completed the HSC in 2004.. and spent some time chatting to them... i get motivated by seeing a list of high marks...
such as laurence fields marks last year.. they looked something like
96..... something along those lines..... with a UAI of 100.... so yeh... just some of the stuff that has kept me going this year.. (although i do feel i'm beginning to get lazy...)

Last edited:

sly fly

HSC
Well Im not doing as good as u guys but im getting an average of 90s in my subjects (but im only getting like 85 for english grrr). So yeah, I thought I was doing pretty good. Then I read this thread.....lol
Oh well, im still reasonably happy with my marks :)

HSC
2/27 SDD, 6/67 IT, 6/177 gen maths, 39/220 standard eng, 15/63 chemistry, 29/130 business studies

doing all my homework and cramming gets me the above ranks ;D

tennille

HSC
sly fly said:
Well Im not doing as good as u guys but im getting an average of 90s in my subjects (but im only getting like 85 for english grrr). So yeah, I thought I was doing pretty good. Then I read this thread.....lol
Oh well, im still reasonably happy with my marks :)
Who cares what everybody else gets :p. It's really only those that go well who post their marks, not those who don't :). If you're averaging in the 90s, that's excellent. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)