• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Domain and Range notation (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
Hey, just thought I'd ask
I use the jones and couchman 2 unit textbook, and as far as I can tell, in their chapter on domain and range, they talk about 'all real x and y', etc, etc, but they don't actually talk about the notation I've seen people use. Do I need to know this notation to answer questions? Is it the kinda thing where I'll be marked down if I don't use it?
-Thanks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't think so. Set-theoretic notation is not a requirement in HSC maths.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, just thought I'd ask
I use the jones and couchman 2 unit textbook, and as far as I can tell, in their chapter on domain and range, they talk about 'all real x and y', etc, etc, but they don't actually talk about the notation I've seen people use. Do I need to know this notation to answer questions? Is it the kinda thing where I'll be marked down if I don't use it?
-Thanks.
For all real values, simply write all real or

That is how I answer such questions.

Herremann

HSC
N/A
You won't lose marks for not using set notation. However, it's cleaner and easier to specify exactly what you mean using set notation so it's a good thing to learn and apply.

Jones and Couchman is a great book for learning basics but is a terrible book for questions applying those basics. As such I'd recommend you getting a supplementary textbook anyway. The Cambridge 2Unit and 3Unit books by Bill Pender and Co. are the best mathematics textbooks I have ever seen and so would recommend them (even though they are considered the "hardest".) They use set notation as described and so would be helpful in this regard.

Best Regards
Herremann

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For all real values, simply write all real or

That is how I answer such questions.
Should technically be

To absorber, all you need to do is describe the domain and range as specifically as possible. This can either be in symbolic notation or in words. As long as they communicate the right message it should be fine.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
tehe, lol, I accidentally clicked the equal to as well! xD haha... I agree, should be as that.

absorber

HSC
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Does Cambridge 2u exist though? o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)