Domain and range question? (1 Viewer)

Annihilist

HSC

Not sure how to do this. I got -5 < x < 5 for domain, not sure if that's right.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Annihilist

HSC
What about the range? My first instinct is to say "all real Y" but that doesn't seem right. It looks like a circle or an ellipse maybe but I have no idea, and I'm not sure how to find out the range.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
It's the equation of the top half of an ellipse.

Think about it, the smallest value you can get on the right hand side is when , and the corresponding y value is 0. The largest value occurs when x=0 which is y=10. So the range is therefore .

Does that make sense?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes it does, thank you. I haven't done anything on ellipses yet.
You probably already know that the equation:

Is a semi-circle (top half specifically). The domain is x between plus/minus 5 and the range is y between 0 and 5.

Think about it this way.... the 2 at the front 'drags' the top of the semicircle up by a scale of 2, so instead of being between 0 and 5, it is now between 0 and 10.

So if I had 3 at the front, the range would be from 0 to 15. If I had a 0.5 at the front, the range would be from 0 to 2.5 etc etc.

Here is a picture of the semicircle and the new curve so you can see the 'dragging' effect.

Annihilist

HSC
You probably already know that the equation:

Is a semi-circle (top half specifically). The domain is x between plus/minus 5 and the range is y between 0 and 5.

Think about it this way.... the 2 at the front 'drags' the top of the semicircle up by a scale of 2, so instead of being between 0 and 5, it is now between 0 and 10.

So if I had 3 at the front, the range would be from 0 to 15. If I had a 0.5 at the front, the range would be from 0 to 2.5 etc etc.

Here is a picture of the semicircle and the new curve so you can see the 'dragging' effect.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)