• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Donnie Darko (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
are you saying that people who don't worship this movie don't 'get' it? because thats really elitist and stupid.

lengstar

HSC
i haven't watched the original and decided to watch it today. i was so freaked out by the director's cut. great movie. 10/10.

lengstar

HSC
Hoytz Broadway near USyd woot!
i'm playing Gary Jules - Mad World right now. still a little shellshocked from the movie. must get DVD.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Hoyts Broadway?
Eh I'll see if there's any closer cinemas playing it.

Is the directors cut dramatically different from the original version?
AHH must see it!

lengstar

HSC
haven't seen the original so can't say. apparently the director's cut is the dircetor's interpretation of the movie instead of the original where you are left to decide your own interpretation so i must see the original.

frazzle

HSC
glitter burns said:
Hoyts Broadway?
Eh I'll see if there's any closer cinemas playing it.

Is the directors cut dramatically different from the original version?
AHH must see it!
nope, broadway is the only place showing it as far as i know.

i just got back from seeing it today. i've heard heaps of hype surrounding this film, been meaning to see it for ages, but never got around to renting out a video, so it was good that they rereleased it into the cinemas.

it was so trippy, and although i didn't really get it, i loved it. if you don't get the story, and judge purely from an artistic angle, it's got soem really good innovative camera work and effects. was very enjoyable.

i'm working my way through the official site now, and now i think i'm beginning to get it...

for people who have seen both the director's cut and the original: which bits were cut?

cheers.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
havent seen the directors cut, but the main difference is that it has another song in it apart from gary jules' mad world.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
really admired how it freaked me out and completely, utterly warped my mind (who wouldnt be by that bunny? i was holy-shittin myself when the mother's looking at the pic donnie drew of it on his calender)

had no idea what was going to happen next, esp in the cellar door scene. it just surprised me everytime! and jake-g is so broody and unconciously sadistic...

ps i the directors cut had a bunch of high tech stuff, and am told, to create a more chaotic illusion and allude to schizophrenia...man this is a kickarse movie!

spoiler, proceed at risk
i think a point to donnie dying in the end plays with the idea that he saved the world, like christ did and gives rise to further controversy - through other supporting religious symbols in the movie. i really admire how everything about it is open to interpretation.

funny quotes from the movie, esp the smurf one!!! lolz...

Donnie : First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a dick?

Donnie: You are such a fuckass!
Sister, Elizabeth: Did you just call me a fuckass?! You can go suck a fuck!
Donnie: Oh, please, tell me Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a fuck?!

Donnie: Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Last edited:

artfag

Banned
HSC
veanz said:
i think a point to donnie dying in the end plays with the idea that he saved the world, like christ did and gives rise to further controversy - through other supporting religious symbols in the movie. i really admire how everything about it is open to interpretation.

you're so fucking deep, man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)