Don't be a jackass (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
Having seen many suicide anecdotes RE: HSC/VCE over the past few days I think its important people understand the (as many more enlightened people have explained countless times in the other threads)

THE HSC IS NOT IMPORTANT IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF YOUR LIFE. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR HSC IN SOCIETY, BEYOND YOUR PARENTS.

IT IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED THINGS I CAN THINK OF. I WISH I WAS STILL IN YEAR 12 BECAUSE FRANKLY THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY PRESSURE.

Yes I know you think I'm some lame high school drop out who failed his HSC and just saying that to make other drop outs feel better.

No.

I heard the exact same messages when I was in Yr 12. I dismissed them as "oh they're just low achievers who are trying to make crap people feel better"

Let me tell again that nobody gives a shit about your HSC in Uni.

whats that you say? You need a good UAI to get into your course? No you don't you f***ing brainwashed idiot. Uni transferrals are 1000 times easier than getting a higher UAI. Additionally, there is something called Postgraduate. You can do any crappy degree, get good marks/complete it with good marks and then do postgrad/transfer into the degree of your choice.

If all else fails you can do a freaking degree online. Australia is full of opportunities. You can drop out of school at Yr 10 ten years ago and still have avenues to be able to study to become a doctor today.

If you ever contemplate suicide due to HSC, you have little sympathy from me because you have allowed yourself to get overexcited by nothing.

Pressure from your parents? Who gives a shit? Just study to the best of your ability and you will repay them for their years of nuturing you.

If this post saves one of your sorry arses than I think its worth the rant.

Frankly I am sick and tired of these sorry sods creating grief for everyone else with their lame excuse to end their own lives.

If you are still contemplating suicide then you sir/madam are a fucking twat.

HSC
Yeah seriously, a couple of months after the HSC no one cares at all what you got - honestly. You get to uni and no one asks you for your uai because it is irrelevant - you've already got there. Even if you don't go to uni a couple of months after the results and you wont hear people ask you what results you got. Its a momentary thing and then it passes, as most things do.

You can only do the best you can do FOR THE PRESENT TIME. There's no use thinking "well if only I was feeling as good as I was afew months ago", or "I've got a cold now im screwed" when really as long as you work as best you can considering the present time and circumstances then that's all you can do - you wouldn't be able to do more than that anyway because you can't change alot of things that happen. Thinking of past or future will leave you feeling guilty and more stressed than necessary.

I know it's easy to say this once you've been there and done that, but please just keep in mind that all of us here on BOS who have finished their HSC can assure you that once its all done you will wonder what the fuss is about. It does not dictate your life...unless you let it. No way can someone not get into uni if they want to. So, it might take a couple of extra years....who cares? It's better to stick it out and persevere than chuck it all in when you have no clue how you will go and things will pan out. It's attitude not intellect that will get you far in life.

Good luck to all and remember...in afew months you will wonder why it all seemed so doomed.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
turtleface said:
Having seen many suicide anecdotes RE: HSC/VCE over the past few days I think its important people understand the (as many more enlightened people have explained countless times in the other threads)

THE HSC IS NOT IMPORTANT IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF YOUR LIFE. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR HSC IN SOCIETY, BEYOND YOUR PARENTS.

IT IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED THINGS I CAN THINK OF. I WISH I WAS STILL IN YEAR 12 BECAUSE FRANKLY THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY PRESSURE.

Yes I know you think I'm some lame high school drop out who failed his HSC and just saying that to make other drop outs feel better.

No.

I heard the exact same messages when I was in Yr 12. I dismissed them as "oh they're just low achievers who are trying to make crap people feel better"

Let me tell again that nobody gives a shit about your HSC in Uni.

whats that you say? You need a good UAI to get into your course? No you don't you f***ing brainwashed idiot. Uni transferrals are 1000 times easier than getting a higher UAI. Additionally, there is something called Postgraduate. You can do any crappy degree, get good marks/complete it with good marks and then do postgrad/transfer into the degree of your choice.

If all else fails you can do a freaking degree online. Australia is full of opportunities. You can drop out of school at Yr 10 ten years ago and still have avenues to be able to study to become a doctor today.

If you ever contemplate suicide due to HSC, you have little sympathy from me because you have allowed yourself to get overexcited by nothing.

Pressure from your parents? Who gives a shit? Just study to the best of your ability and you will repay them for their years of nuturing you.

If this post saves one of your sorry arses than I think its worth the rant.

Frankly I am sick and tired of these sorry sods creating grief for everyone else with their lame excuse to end their own lives.

If you are still contemplating suicide then you sir/madam are a fucking twat.
qft x 1000

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I'm a bit concerned by some of the things that have been said in this thread. In my HSC year we had a near-suicide, a very clos friend of mine. While I do agree that anyone who makes an attempt on their life is severely misguided - they are just that - 'misguided'. As a close friend, I didn't see it coming, and in hindsight I don't think i could have done anything to stop it. Thankfully the person survived, and completed their HSC, and life continues.

The HSC is a hurdle in life, and like all hurdles, some prove too great for some people. A common immediate reaction to a suicide is 'that person is weak/ took the easy way out'. That is a valid INITIAL reaction, but please take into account that any person willing to take their own life is NOT THINKING CLEARLY.

And I agree with the idea that 'no-one cares about your hsc once you're done'
I was recently filling out a form (I finished my HSC 2 years ago) and I couldnt' remember exactly what my UAI was. Once the UAC results are out, it is a completely useless number, and remember that 70% of the population never attempt university, so if you get there, you are in the top 30% and that is a pretty amazing achievment

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
If you're worrying about the HSC, I think it would be more productive to channel that towards STUDYING for it, not freaking out about how you're going to fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)